Sunderland till I die Season 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
In all honesty the people who worked admin jobs are a legacy from the time in the PL.
There’d be counterparts of these people at clubs in the PL and maybe the championship......but no equivalent role in league one........which is the underlying reason why there was redundancies, maybe they’d not been in the role for two years and didn’t need to pay redundancy, who knows?
Suppose the Netflix makers need to embellish a narrative and in the process deflect any blame away from the policy makers at a football club. Since it’s a football club, it’s success (and failure) is directly linked to the actions of the CEO’s, owners, Directors, coaches, football managers. These are the people paid a lot of money to make the big decisions, not an ability to get the attendance numbers by halftime!
It’s ludicrous to suggest otherwise . We are in league one because of decisions that didn’t work out by people at the top of the club. You see this at other businesses, a company struggling makes the workers on the shop floor redundant first, but they don’t normally get the blame for it!
I’ve got a theory that those in higher executive management in football to get to the top in that sector needs to be egotistical narcissists and can’t admit anything they’d created as a failure.

Did anyone notice Stewart Donald complaining about the cryochamber in season 2...saying it was just used for Martin Bain’s back and no players used it..........yet its clearly being used by Jermaine Defoe in season 1

bit harsh on Phil Parkinson........I think he’s doing a decent enough job given the circumstances

A decent enough job would be him having us in 2nd place

I think he needs time because a lack of continuity is damaging the club
He’s been okay but there are certainly questions as to whether he’s the right fit for what we need. His defensive focus and general inability to solve our attacking issues don’t bode well for the future. For the remit he was given he was a bad choice. It remains to be seen if he can turn that around given a different remit.

You do not know this, you are making assumptions from a few minutes of edited video.
The only time anyone came up with something he stopped him dead and said, "Back to my idea".
She clearly thinks he is a bellend. Which he is.
He’s been okay but there are certainly questions as to whether he’s the right fit for what we need. His defensive focus and general inability to solve our attacking issues don’t bode well for the future. For the remit he was given he was a bad choice. It remains to be seen if he can turn that around given a different remit.
To be fair to him one of our biggest weaknesses under Ross was conceding at least one goal every game. He’s tightened that up and we’ve also scored more especially the wide players. Our issue remains that we are a team without a goal scoring striker which requires some investment not the free transfer market.

Last edited:

To be fair to him one of our biggest weaknesses under Ross was conceding at least one goal every game. He’s tightened that up and we’ve also scored more especially the wide players. Our issue remains that we are a team without a goal scoring striker which requires some investment not the free transfer market.
I disagree with that to an extent, marra. We’ve undoubtedly improved in terms of clean sheets - and have had a couple of decent goal scoring performances too (albeit from memory we’re not really scoring any more than before). However, our limiting of opposition chances was already very good and has only improved slightly - and our ability to creat chances hasn’t really improved at all. The apparent improvement is mostly just variance. The key to the team getting better is to be found in our creativity in attack - where we’re really very average for the league. PP hasn’t really impacted that at all so far and his career to date would suggest that it’s not his forte. Hope springs eternal but our problems run deeper than a lack of finisher - and PP may not be best placed to rectify them.

We had one in Maja he should have struck a deal to keep him until the end of last season, the mighty Peterborough made Toney stay the top scorer in league 1, the chuckle brothers made a monumental mistake.

I disagree with that to an extent, marra. We’ve undoubtedly improved in terms of clean sheets - and have had a couple of decent goal scoring performances too (albeit from memory we’re not really scoring any more than before). However, our limiting of opposition chances was already very good and has only improved slightly - and our ability to creat chances hasn’t really improved at all. The apparent improvement is mostly just variance. The key to the team getting better is to be found in our creativity in attack - where we’re really very average for the league. PP hasn’t really impacted that at all so far and his career to date would suggest that it’s not his forte. Hope springs eternal but our problems run deeper than a lack of finisher - and PP may not be best placed to rectify them.
It’s not just the finishing though it’s pace , movement and threat. Both strikers are largely back to goal men which to some extent they need to be as they are alone. But neither really drag defenders around and turn them and hit channels at pace, getting behind. A genuine goal threat can create a bit of disarray but what really is there to worry about in relation to goals if the ball hits the front man. A threat plus our goal scoring wide players and we’d be far tougher to defend against. Now teams just need to block the supply to Gooch and Maguire and it’s game over.
Under Ross teams just got the ball behind the full backs knowing there’d be space. We were very vulnerable- wide open for wingers and full backs getting behind us . Especially our left side. It still is because Hume can’t defend but much much less so with this system.

Just watched the first episode. I’m dragging it out over the lockdown. The absolute irony of that injury time winner against Charlton is horrific in hindsight.

Thought the first series was good but series 2 was dire. Feel as disconnected with the players now as I did before watching it. It was basically the CM show with a wee bit of SD. Regardless of how successful they've been in other ventures, they come across as rank amateurs trying to run a big football club.

Worst bits:
-Pretty much every time CM's on screen but his "we have to change the music" bit. F*ckin' cringe-worthy. Lets get the crowd pumped up with some shit dance music. :rolleyes:
-Being told a £100,000; state of the art bit of equipment, isn't being used and not asking the head physio "Why the f*ck are you not using it"? Instead, he goes on another rant about wasting money. It's not wasted money if the equipment you've got is actually used to help the player's recovery.
-The Grigg saga. Ended up being a p*ssing contest and playing up to the cameras. No back-up plan if they didn't get their top target! Again, showing how amateur they are.

Hope this is the last we see of this shite. It makes the club look like a total joke. Series 3 would just be the same old crap anyway..."yeah we're shit and badly run but, hey, look how the fans keep turning up".

Anyhoozle,

Logon or register to see this image

Just watched the first episode. I’m dragging it out over the lockdown. The absolute irony of that injury time winner against Charlton is horrific in hindsight.

Other than seeing it live at Wembley I've never been able to stomach watching it again since whether that's on TV or on Twitter/Facebook and I doubt I ever will.

Never been so dejected leaving a football stadium in over 40 years of attending. The Championship Play Off loss to Charlton in 98 was bad but leaving Wembley that day we knew we'd come back better and stronger the next year.

Other than seeing it live at Wembley I've never been able to stomach watching it again since whether that's on TV or on Twitter/Facebook and I doubt I ever will.

Never been so dejected leaving a football stadium in over 40 years of attending. The Championship Play Off loss to Charlton in 98 was bad but leaving Wembley that day we knew we'd come back better and stronger the next year.

Absolutely, that was great team.

Just finished watching it.

First time I’ve seen the playoff final again. Could feel my heart racing even though I knew what was coming.

Couldnt bring myself to watch it when it was released. Bored shitless so I've finally watched it in full.

What a cock Charlie Methven is. The way he spoke to the Irish lady member of staff was disgusting. No surprise she left her job.

Just finished watching it.

First time I’ve seen the playoff final again. Could feel my heart racing even though I knew what was coming.
Was more gutted at the end of STID than I actually was on the day of the play off defeat. Must have been the amount of beer I consumed that day numbing the pain .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back