Sunderland railway station

They could put the station at the civic centre. It is where the line splits, either down the coast to Hartlepool or inland to South Hylton. That could at least give a 4 platform station and more space to develop the surroundings, once the civic moves to the Vaux site.

Not sure on the feasiblity but building a new station where the main line and metro line splits at the south end of the current station would make sense, open space above and could be an entrance out facing Mowbray park and the cenotaph.

Pinza may be able to advise better but I’m not sure you can now have platforms on a bend? That would mean entering at Mowbray but then walking to the location of the existing stations...could be wrong however.

Sure there is access under the A19 for the Hylton bridge - not sure it is wide enough for two trains and would mean the cycle track having to divert.

That's what I said. Specifically it isn't wide enough for 2 tracks and it has a concrete base which tracks cannot be laid on. I don't think it is high enough either.
Pinza may be able to advise better but I’m not sure you can now have platforms on a bend? That would mean entering at Mowbray but then walking to the location of the existing stations...could be wrong however.

That comes up every time this subject is discussed and it isn't feasible. Although it would be a huge job to polish the turd that is currently the station it would be easier than building a new one on this site. The gradient up to Park Lane station is pretty steep for trains to climb let alone stop at a platform.

Last edited:
You cant the tunnel under Mowbray park starts as soon as the line splits.

The station is probably in the right location due to the way the track splits, the issue is that as it’s underground and buildings being built on top of it, it must be a huge engineering feat and cost to redevelop the site and building above nevermind having to do it around a live track and businesses.

Not sure on the feasiblity but building a new station where the main line and metro line splits at the south end of the current station would make sense, open space above and could be an entrance out facing Mowbray park and the cenotaph.

Here would be good as the trains wouldnt be hindered by the metro coming from the south....site of an original station too. When the civic goes there should be more space too.

It certainly needs attention. If you think it’s bad now, you should have seen it in the days of my first memories that go back to 1950. It was then an absolutely filthy hole in the ground with a massive hole in the roof where a bomb fell on it in WWII. Trains were all steam powered which added to the general filth. Many of these dared back to Victorian times, perambulating relics was an apt description, they had numbers and I used to jot them down, helped my education a lot. It was improved a lot in 1953 when electric lights in modern style with the name Sunderland emblazoned on them. The umberella style awnings were quite attractive at platform level but upstairs was a big a toilet as ever. The clock tower should have been saved for posterity but it wasn’t what they did in those days, it was clearened and replaced by concrete. Over the years it was covered over which took it back to the time of gloom when it had an overall roof. I am not sure why people these days worry about its appearance. Nobody takes any notice anymore, in my young day we used to look out of the window and watch the world go by, same on the station, we looked around and tested our powers of observation. Now all anyone ever sees is the bloody screen on their phone. We never had any form of phone when I was a lad, only for poshies.

Sunderland train station has been given £16m towards the refurbishment of the station..... at last we might get something that is half decent.

Lets hope they use the money wisely......demolish the building entirely and start again! (slight exaggeration) or better still in an entirely new location!

I suspect they'll keep the existing building the same and give the place an elaborate makeover that will last a few years.....

But still good news

I think the ‘re-vamp’ the station got for the Metro (a bit of tiling, that light wall and a one-way escalator that frequently breaks down) was reported as costing £6-7m so anyone expecting significant change with this £16m may be disappointed.
I could be wrong - and hope I am - but I doubt this means we’ll get the entrance gateway to the city centre we actually deserve.

There should be a plan to take over surrounding shops at the very least.

You probably couldn’t acquire the buildings, extinguish the businesses and demolish them for £16m sadly. Suspect as other say it will be a new box on the existing site. Can’t imagine they could get rid of Burger King unless Burger King has gone bust under COVID.

You probably couldn’t acquire the buildings, extinguish the businesses and demolish them for £16m sadly. Suspect as other say it will be a new box on the existing site. Can’t imagine they could get rid of Burger King unless Burger King has gone bust under COVID.
Most of the buildings on the side are now in council ownership. The area is about to be redeveloped.

I don’t know but I would be surprised if those businesses owned the properties. Will be leases.

Back