Sunderland railway station

Diff

Nah I’m thinking of a route southerly out of city centre to the ECML connecting the Durham coast line to Darlington

That would have no advantage over the current route and at Darlington the junction faces north so a Sunderland - London via Darlington train would need to reverse at Darlington.

That would have no advantage over the current route and at Darlington the junction faces north so a Sunderland - London via Darlington train would need to reverse at Darlington.

I understand that Darlington station is having a major revamp, are any additional platforms being built, I did read about it in the Northern Echo, I think, but can't recall details, could this address this problem?

Edit found this link £100m Darlington station revamp could double Tees Valley and Durham train services

Some ECML trains are diesel (and the new Azuma are hybrid).

That's true but the maximum speed on any British railway is 125 mph and that is also the maximum speed of both the Azuma and the Adelante which Grand Central currently uses so neither type of train will get you to London any faster.
I understand that Darlington station is having a major revamp, are any additional platforms being built, I did read about it in the Northern Echo, I think, but can't recall details, could this address this problem?

Edit found this link £100m Darlington station revamp could double Tees Valley and Durham train services

The idea of the Darlington scheme is to provide platforms on the ECML fast lines which actually run outside the station but the junction for the Middlesbrough line still faces north so it will make no difference. The only way you could run a service Sunderland - Darlington - London would be to reopen Hylton - Penshaw then the Leamside Line to Ferryhill which would be technically simple but cost a LOT of money. I don't see it happening.
* When I said reopening Hylton - Penshaw would be simple I forgot the A19 road bridge at Hylton which isn't wide enough for two tracks and would need to be completely rebuilt.

Last edited:
That's true but the maximum speed on any British railway is 125 mph and that is also the maximum speed of both the Azuma and the Adelante which Grand Central currently uses so neither type of train will get you to London any faster.

The idea of the Darlington scheme is to provide platforms on the ECML fast lines which actually run outside the station but the junction for the Middlesbrough line still faces north so it will make no difference. The only way you could run a service Sunderland - Darlington - London would be to reopen Hylton - Penshaw then the Leamside Line to Ferryhill which would be technically simple but cost a LOT of money. I don't see it happening.
* When I said reopening Hylton - Penshaw would be simple I forgot the A19 road bridge at Hylton which isn't wide enough for two tracks and would need to be completely rebuilt.

What’s the limiting factor on the speeds of the current Sunderland to London route ie from Sunderland to York? Is it the track system or number of stops that slows the journey down?

In terms of the Sunderland station conundrum I can’t see how they can change the station much (ie provide more services) other than the concourse at ground level due to fact it’s subterranean and has live businesses above it mean that any major work would be massively costly. I think the original station has 4 platforms but are they long or wide enough to accommodate modern trains?

Only other option would be to relocate it however that in itself is a major issue as most of the southern route is underground from memory unless the leamside line can be reopened and even then it would be on the outskirts of the city. Only viable alternative as I understand it is really the area around monk wearmouth station which is currently planned for housing as part of riverside Sunderland.

What’s the limiting factor on the speeds of the current Sunderland to London route ie from Sunderland to York? Is it the track system or number of stops that slows the journey down?

In terms of the Sunderland station conundrum I can’t see how they can change the station much (ie provide more services) other than the concourse at ground level due to fact it’s subterranean and has live businesses above it mean that any major work would be massively costly. I think the original station has 4 platforms but are they long or wide enough to accommodate modern trains?

Only other option would be to relocate it however that in itself is a major issue as most of the southern route is underground from memory unless the leamside line can be reopened and even then it would be on the outskirts of the city. Only viable alternative as I understand it is really the area around monk wearmouth station which is currently planned for housing as part of riverside Sunderland.

The limiting factors at the moment are the line speed from Sunderland to Northallerton which has been increased over recent years but it will never be very fast due to lots of tight curves plus the number of stops. Sunderland station as it was till 1966 had 4 platforms and plenty of space for long trains but when the Metro was built it was reduced to the current 2 platforms to "save money". The only way to make anything of it would be to remove the shops above it. I think the supports for the buildings between the main building and the Holmeside bridge allow for more tracks to be laid. But basically I think none of this will ever happen so we are stuck with it as it is.

Last edited:
I know that it is part of Councillor Millers long term plan to sort out the station. I understand that one issue is that it will have be moved so that a longer straight platform can be built, this will allow more direccservices to London. This issues as several have said is that the council don't own the station so talks about doing what is needed can get complicated with several different interested groups involved. But it is very ne of the areas the council want to help to get done. Its all about building partnerships.

The limiting factors at the moment are the line speed from Sunderland to Northallerton which has been increased over recent years but it will never be very fast due to lots of tight curves plus the number of stops. Sunderland station as it was till 1966 had 4 platforms and plenty of space for long trains but when the Metro was built it was reduced to the current 2 platforms to "save money". The only way to make anything of it would be to remove the shops above it. I think the supports for the buildings between the main building and the Holmeside bridge allow for more tracks to be laid. But basically I think none of this will ever happen so we are stuck with it as it is.

Thanks. I guess the other issue is that Sunderland would a terminus for any train and would be difficult / slow to pass through therefore there needs to be a rationale for why Sunderland central station should take more services to other parts of the country. A chicken and the egg in that you need business to come to Sunderland but in turn could be put off by the quality of the city, with the station being the appoint of arrival.

Thanks. I guess the other issue is that Sunderland would a terminus for any train and would be difficult / slow to pass through therefore there needs to be a rationale for why Sunderland central station should take more services to other parts of the country. A chicken and the egg in that you need business to come to Sunderland but in turn could be put off by the quality of the city, with the station being the appoint of arrival.

It would be feasible for trains which would otherwise terminate at Sunderland to carry on to Newcastle but the problem is that under the current privatised mess any train company would have to pay for track access and facilities at Newcastle and it probably wouldn't be worth it. Plus the Sunderland - Newcastle line is pretty much saturated with Metro trains, probably the reason why they have never reopened the line from East Boldon to Tyne Dock as it would mean even more Metro trains between Sunderland and South Shields.

Daughters at durham college now. Hour n a half from hartlepool on a bus for christs sake. Took me 23 mins to drop her off this week.

Stuck in the 70s up here our travel network.

And we get a high speed train route from London to Birmingham that most people don’t want and an absolute white elephant and waste of money.
Upgrade what we have, reduced cost and support the Country on not just the South.

I just think for things like this Sunderland Council and the 3 MP’s should be expressing their outrage and shouting from the rooftops.
The state of Sunderland Station is a f***ing disgrace and has been for decades.

The council has been closely involved with the various rebuildings of the station over the years and they are hardly likely to admit their own fault. After the remaining bit of the Sunderland - Penshaw line closed to Pallion in 1984 they filled in the deep cuttings near Millfield and demolished several of the bridges in 1990 although reusing the line for the metro was already proposed. Then in 2000 they had to dig out the cuttings and build new bridges, at vast expense. You couldn't make it up.

Daughters at durham college now. Hour n a half from hartlepool on a bus for christs sake. Took me 23 mins to drop her off this week.

Stuck in the 70s up here our travel network.
Think it takes an hour to get from Durham to sunderland on the bus?

Will probably we quicker to get he train to Newcastle and then lner to Durham

The council has been closely involved with the various rebuildings of the station over the years and they are hardly likely to admit their own fault. After the remaining bit of the Sunderland - Penshaw line closed to Pallion in 1984 they filled in the deep cuttings near Millfield and demolished several of the bridges in 1990 although reusing the line for the metro was already proposed. Then in 2000 they had to dig out the cuttings and build new bridges, at vast expense. You couldn't make it up.
I think we're at the point now we are stuck with what we have, tarting the station up every 10-15 years is about the best we'll get.

The massive cost and logistical headache of either moving the station or reopening the route to Darlington just isn't worth it.

Sure there is access under the A19 for the Hylton bridge - not sure it is wide enough for two trains and would mean the cycle track having to divert.

There's a perfectly good station over the water that could easily be developed into the gateway to the town.
Lands available on the sheepfolds side for the entrance. Would be fairly cheap to develope, compared to the hole in the ground.
By extending the platforms down to St Peters lifts are in place for disabled access.
With the new footbridge over the river, the station would fit in with the plans around there.

There's a perfectly good station over the water that could easily be developed into the gateway to the town.
Lands available on the sheepfolds side for the entrance. Would be fairly cheap to develope, compared to the hole in the ground.
By extending the platforms down to St Peters lifts are in place for disabled access.
With the new footbridge over the river, the station would fit in with the plans around there.

Agree. Burger Kings basement would make a decent metro stop but it will never be a railway station fit for the city; at least your suggestion is perfectly achievable rather than throwing good money at bad all the time with the hole in the ground.

Lands available on the sheepfolds side for the entrance. Would be fairly cheap to develope, compared to the hole in the ground.By extending the platforms down to St Peters lifts are in place for disabled access.

I agree and you can do a lot more with the money to make a building look good without losing it in the ground or extinguishing leases etc at the current station. The site used to be the sidings didn’t it? Also got the old Doyle’s building at the end that could be converted into something cool.

Last edited:

Back