Sunderland railway station

Surprising to see mostly positive comments on Facebook!

A couple whingers, like, to be expected.

should be building affordable housing for the next generation instead, apparently 😂

should have been a leisure centre!
Looks tremendous. Finally a step in the right direction. 4 live tracks as well according to the echo.
Sounds like that might be a future phase. This announcement looks like it’s a replacement for the above ground box but hopefully acting as a catalyst for further investment. Will be interesting to see if they can attract any further funding? If it is to be developed 4 live tracks are surely needed otherwise what’s the point of further redevelopment. Fingers crossed however.

Last edited:
should have been a leisure centre!

Sounds like that might be a future phase. This announcement looks like it’s a replacement for the above ground box but hopefully acting as a catalyst for further investment. Will be interesting to see if they can attract any further funding? If it is to be developed 4 live tracks are surely needed otherwise what’s the point of further redevelopment. Fingers crossed however.
26 million seemed cheap for everything mentioned in the article.

Preferred these designs tbh: Sunderland Rail Station - Sadler Brown

I'm not overly keen on the roof, it reminds me a lot of Crowtree leisure centre. That said, I'll take this over another decade of the existing dump. Hopefully the new northern entrance will be a bit more of a statement structure if that is to be the main entrance.

It was always a sh*t hole. My memeries go back to the early 1950s so do some photos I have but I am not able to post them on here. You should have seen it then in the great days of steam, the filth was unbelievable, the roof was half gone, upstairs in the booking hall you had to wipe your feet on the way out. Not that it was any different from anywhere else but always in a poor site but central. I knew a bloke who spent his working days sleeping in the tunnel. He died quite young, of a bad chest.

It was always a sh*t hole. My memeries go back to the early 1950s so do some photos I have but I am not able to post them on here. You should have seen it then in the great days of steam, the filth was unbelievable, the roof was half gone, upstairs in the booking hall you had to wipe your feet on the way out. Not that it was any different from anywhere else but always in a poor site but central. I knew a bloke who spent his working days sleeping in the tunnel. He died quite young, of a bad chest.
Liked for the first hand account of the "good old days" where everything was better, not the bloke dying.

Surprising to see mostly positive comments on Facebook!

A couple whingers, like, to be expected.

should be building affordable housing for the next generation instead, apparently 😂
One comment on the Sunderland Echo Facebook page slagged it off saying they should build a new Crowtree Leisure Centre instead and another woman came up with the gem "Is this going to be in the city centre?"

:lol:

Liked for the first hand account of the "good old days" where everything was better, not the bloke dying.
He worked for the same department as me, the pay was poor but we weren’t exactly pushed, smoked like a trooper, there were a lot of sleepers on the railway. A real shame I couldnt post the photos.

Last edited:
One comment on the Sunderland Echo Facebook page slagged it off saying they should build a new Crowtree Leisure Centre instead and another woman came up with the gem "Is this going to be in the city centre?"

:lol:
It’s unreal, man. Everything they demand, we either already have and they don’t use or we used to have and it had to close down due to not enough support.

If all these whingers actually helped put money into our local economy, I’m sure they city centre would in a much better state.

Im buzzing with all the development going on. There’s nothing to be negative about atm.

It’s unreal, man. Everything they demand, we either already have and they don’t use or we used to have and it had to close down due to not enough support.

If all these whingers actually helped put money into our local economy, I’m sure they city centre would in a much better state.

Im buzzing with all the development going on. There’s nothing to be negative about atm.

the biggest issue is that it’s older people who are nearly always demanding these things for youngsters, when in fact do they really want them?

I think the people demanding these things forget that youths of today have mobile phones, computer games, on demand tv etc to keep them entertained unlike in their day.

Someone complained that the brand new multi storey probably won't be free

Back