Sunderland Medical School?

Really? Provide sources for your claim.

Near-record number of nurses start training despite drop in applicants

Who said mature applicants are deprived?

I have always held the position that we should be encouraging eighteen year olds rather than mature students. It is much easier to cope with the commitments of the course if you are single and childless and not in debt.

And of course, once they graduate young students are more likely to want to work full time rather than work being secondary to their home commitments.

For me the removal of bursaries is win win. Students win because they are financially better off during training, albeit they have to repay their loans, and hospitals because they are getting more new graduates who want to work full time rather than expecting the nhs to revolve around them.

We could have the best of both worlds if the state didn’t abdicate responsibility.

UCAS data for 2017 clearly shows that universities accepted more nurses whilst fewer applied. Basically universities have made nursing easier to get on.

Nursing should be by bursary. Nursing students as you well know, are at points during their study and for sustained periods working.

To have to access that via a loan is insulting.

Still, there’s money for Northern Ireland to buy votes. Shoddy government.

Be interesting to see they get on. Other uni's I know have sometimes struggled with recruitment for these, for the obvious reasons.

Yes. They suffer from high attrition rates. Working with Trusts helps who can assist the feed of people who have some idea of what theyre applying for, having already been given some insight through summer schools and careers awareness events.

I’m surprised to see Sir Lancelot championing something that favours teenage applicants over deprived mature students who want to make a change in their career.
It's absolutely crippled application of nurses who want to work with people who have learning disabilities more than most, very few people want to do LD nursing as it is but due to the bursary the local trusts have had to pay for their HCA staff or there would be an even bigger shortfall than there is now, I've been offered a job everywhere I've been, and I'm not qualified for another 6 months, that's how desperate trusts are and what will happen is people without right training will end up looking after people and they won't have a clue what they're doing, if nothing is done then LD nursing will just stop being taught and people with learning disabilities will end up dying more often from preventable problems.

It's absolutely crippled application of nurses who want to work with people who have learning disabilities more than most, very few people want to do LD nursing as it is but due to the bursary the local trusts have had to pay for their HCA staff or there would be an even bigger shortfall than there is now, I've been offered a job everywhere I've been, and I'm not qualified for another 6 months, that's how desperate trusts are and what will happen is people without right training will end up looking after people and they won't have a clue what they're doing, if nothing is done then LD nursing will just stop being taught and people with learning disabilities will end up dying more often from preventable problems.

Apprenticeship degrees will add to this where some existing staff are developed to become degree qualified Registered Nurses. LD is definitely in crisis but the University is working with Trusts to try and address some of the issues.

We could have the best of both worlds if the state didn’t abdicate responsibility.

UCAS data for 2017 clearly shows that universities accepted more nurses whilst fewer applied. Basically universities have made nursing easier to get on.

Nursing should be by bursary. Nursing students as you well know, are at points during their study and for sustained periods working.

My Mother-in-Law is on the panel of approvals for the Nursing Degree applicants, I can assure you the entry requirements are just as high as ever.

My Mother-in-Law is on the panel of approvals for the Nursing Degree applicants, I can assure you the entry requirements are just as high as ever.

So why has the acceptance rate gone up by about 10 percentage points? By definition, nursing has become less competitive and thus easier to gain entry to, as a higher proportion of applicants gain entry.

Why just nurses.
Removing the bursary is just putting nurses in line with other trades within the Nhs.

LD and Mental Nursing have always had recruitment problems as they are seen as being less glamorous than general nursing or children’s nursing. Hence they give extra money to them. In the old days it used to the psychiatric lead, now it’s a single point increment on the agenda for change pay scales.

Why just nurses.
Removing the bursary is just putting nurses in line with other trades within the Nhs.

If I had my way, it wouldn’t just be nurses. I wouldn’t have tuition fees for anyone entering a degree course that led to NHS employment in a clinical role.

I would however place large penalties on those who abused the system by leaving for private practice before they’d worked long enough to make their training worthwhile.

However, just nurses for the time being. As one of the largest occupations within the NHS, and the considerable workload upon them relative to not great pay, I think paying their fees is about right.

If I had my way, it wouldn’t just be nurses. I wouldn’t have tuition fees for anyone entering a degree course that led to NHS employment in a clinical role.

I would however place large penalties on those who abused the system by leaving for private practice before they’d worked long enough to make their training worthwhile.

However, just nurses for the time being. As one of the largest occupations within the NHS, and the considerable workload upon them relative to not great pay, I think paying their fees is about right.

Maybe if the government made the Nhs somewhere staff wanted to work then so many of them wouldn’t go abroad or outside the nhs.

You can’t blame staff imo when the Nhs is so poor to work in yet they can often get better money and a much better work life balance / lifestyle by going abroad. That is what needs to change, not penalising those who leave

Back