Sunderland Medical School?

Most people who have debated the NHS on here will know they I have very strong views about how few people from the North East become Drs

How would people feel about Sunderland bidding for a medical school? What if there was a campaign to develop one alongside the City of Culture bid?

Could they cure Jan Kirchoff?

It would be great for the city,it's the type of thing that we don't really have here, they're normally part of the more established centres.
I don't think it could be so advanced to ever cure Jan Kirchoff though.

If Durham couldn't keep theirs then there is no chance for Sunderland. Besides if a student can't even get on the metro to Newcastle then should they really be doctors?

In a perfect world, it would be a brilliant thing, but standards would need to be set extremely high for admission to maintain standards and none of this pc claptrap.

Only so much to gan round, and I cannit see Newcastle giving up theirs that easily. Does the local hospital need to have university status?

Portsmouth QA Hospital used to have university status but they shifted it to Southampton cos they provided more things (neurological and burns dept amongst others). That was about 20 years ago mind.

Aye, it can happen far more quickly. Swansea and, to a lesser degree, Hull were particularly slow from the first idea to being set up.

It's the timing

The UK is short of Drs, and post Brexit the government wants to reduce the reliance on foreign Drs. The government wants private medical schools to fill the gap, but there aren't enough coming forward, and anything which makes medicine more socially decisive makes things worse for the North East, not better.

It's a really strong idea. It just needs some real political nous to make it happen. That is the bit I am unsure about

Only so much to gan round, and I cannit see Newcastle giving up theirs that easily. Does the local hospital need to have university status?

Portsmouth QA Hospital used to have university status but they shifted it to Southampton cos they provided more things (neurological and burns dept amongst others). That was about 20 years ago mind.

It would be as well as Newcastle not instead

The North East built an infrastructure for medical teaching when Tees/Durham opened. The absorbtion of Durham back in Newcastle was bad news for the other NE Trusts, most of which would be positive.

The CE at Sunderland Hospitals is a good bloke. He needs to be able to make the internal politics work

If Durham couldn't keep theirs then there is no chance for Sunderland. Besides if a student can't even get on the metro to Newcastle then should they really be doctors?

In a perfect world, it would be a brilliant thing, but standards would need to be set extremely high for admission to maintain standards and none of this pc claptrap.
what the actual fuck :lol:

Anyway, to the OP, yes, good idea.

what the actual fuck :lol:

Anyway, to the OP, yes, good idea.

I like PC stuff

If Sunderland does get a Med School I would get local businesses to sponsor an outreach programme talent spotting bright local kids from non traditional medical backgrounds, and give them financial support and mentoring to get into Med School. Make the NE of England the part of the UK with the highest %tage of kids going to Med School not the lowest.

Partner with other Universities and local engineering firms to build centres of excellence in medical technology and engineering.

Would do wonders for the NHS in the NE AND boost the economy.

I like PC stuff

If Sunderland does get a Med School I would get local businesses to sponsor an outreach programme talent spotting bright local kids from non traditional medical backgrounds, and give them financial support and mentoring to get into Med School. Make the NE of England the part of the UK with the highest %tage of kids going to Med School not the lowest.

Partner with other Universities and local engineering firms to build centres of excellence in medical technology and engineering.

Would do wonders for the NHS in the NE AND boost the economy.
*applause*

Am trying to advocate for something similar in my line of work.

Student doctors from Newcastle do go out to hospitals and primary care facilities all over the north, sunderland hospital getting a large percentage so I am not sure what having a medical school at sunderland uni would achieve other than being something like Durham where the teaching is at that campus but the course as a whole is managed by Newcastle. Students do get to select where they want to go so local student doctors can go to local hospitals and practices.

Back