Sunderland Medical School?

To be honest if medicine wasn't so competitive it would require lower grades for admission. The course isn't really that hard to get through as the theory is straight forward and if you put the time in the clinical skills are within the grasp of most university students.

Yeah, was more wondering how they would fund it when they're at risk of going under as it is. I suspect they'd need to take a lot of overseas students to make it viable.

I think so, however the UK needs to train loads more UK people to be UK Drs. The government is has this rather muddled view that somehow the private sector will step in and that they can prop up universities with overseas students fees, and reduce immigration all at the same time

Hopefully someone realises this is nonsense and actually supports UK people to become UK Drs by going to UK medical schools

To be honest if medicine wasn't so competitive it would require lower grades for admission. The course isn't really that hard to get through as the theory is straight forward and if you put the time in the clinical skills are within the grasp of most university students.

Spot on. The people being selected for medical school places aren't always the people who are going to make good Drs

There has always been a silent problem within the NHS that there are a group of people, often from affluent backgrounds, who go through medical schools with top grades, who don't have the skills or talents that the NHS needs. I have had to deal with people like that.

The workload and pressure is such that people like that can't be carried as passengers anymore like they were 20 or 30 years ago. It never ends well for the NHS, and increasingly it doesn't end well for the Dr.

Last edited:
You mean the university that has been there since the early 1800s and has made the city what it is? Alright mate.

I mean the university that is importing huge amounts of foreign students, building massive luxury apartments for them (next to tesco gilesgate), and knocking down shops in the middle of Durham turning the center into a Campus for the well off southern and foreign kids!
Wonder how the University pushed through the planning permission for that little lot $$$$$$$$???
Having lived in Durham for the last 16 years we have seen our estate (which was built in 2000) go from a place where everyone knew each other to somewhere where half the households don't speak English!
We are now upping sticks and moving to a nice place in the country.
Good bye Durhamistan!

I mean the university that is importing huge amounts of foreign students, building massive luxury apartments for them (next to tesco gilesgate), and knocking down shops in the middle of Durham turning the center into a Campus for the well off southern and foreign kids!
Wonder how the University pushed through the planning permission for that little lot $$$$$$$$???
Having lived in Durham for the last 16 years we have seen our estate (which was built in 2000) go from a place where everyone knew each other to somewhere where half the households don't speak English!
Good bye Durhamistan!

Racist. :lol:

My eldest has aspirations to become a doctor or a plod, so it would save me a fortune if we had one on our doorstep...if she becomes and plod she can fuck of as I'm disowning her!

I like PC stuff

If Sunderland does get a Med School I would get local businesses to sponsor an outreach programme talent spotting bright local kids from non traditional medical backgrounds, and give them financial support and mentoring to get into Med School. Make the NE of England the part of the UK with the highest %tage of kids going to Med School not the lowest.

Partner with other Universities and local engineering firms to build centres of excellence in medical technology and engineering.

Would do wonders for the NHS in the NE AND boost the economy.
Durham's programme for local students allowed me to get in with ABC A-Levels. Long gone, sadly, along with the summer schools and outreach programmes.

Good bye Durhamistan!

What a f***ing tit

I agree that the qualities and qualifications that medical schools look for are not necessarily producing the best doctors. I would like think a Sunderland Medical School wouldn't lower standards, moreover address the social and academic inequalities inherent in the current system.

I agree that the qualities and qualifications that medical schools look for are not necessarily producing the best doctors. I would like think a Sunderland Medical School wouldn't lower standards, moreover address the social and academic inequalities inherent in the current system.

One would hope so. I believe St. George's in London used to run a scheme where you could get in with reduced grade requirements, although some on here think that's lowering standards to produce worse doctors in the name of political correctness...

Good bye Durhamistan!

Wow.

Good bye Durhamistan!

I think you moving will be Durham's gain tbf.

Good bye Durhamistan!

f***ing hell. Imagine being this retarded.

Yeah, was more wondering how they would fund it when they're at risk of going under as it is. I suspect they'd need to take a lot of overseas students to make it viable.

Well the Sunderland nursing school is expanding rapidly, including supplying nursing students to Newcastle Hospitals

Back