Sunderland-Leeds rivalry

• Thread starter Deleted member 48628
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone remember this game?

First game since the cup final I believe, decent crowd , a few days after winning the title and promotion, remember as a kid a few Leeds fans getting a battering in the Roker End.

Cup
I would never have thought they would have played a replay at Hull, did that happen often?
[/QUOT

2nd replays always took place at neutral grounds, ideally somewhere of equal distance between both clubs grounds. Think clubs might at first have had the option of agreeing to either play 2nd replay at your place or theirs beforehand though.

Last edited:

Imagine our club staff trying to organise tickets without internet now 😂

And back then it wasnt so easy to get places. Not many had cars or much money, least not among the miners (like my dad) and shipyard workers. So coaches were the usual thing. That Man Utd three games Cup series in 64..first away game i ever saw as an 8 year old at OT and we took the bus from Shields early morning..then back to Roker for the famous gates collapsed replay..then my dad and uncles were off to Huddersfield for the second replay (I'd had my excitement so was told to stay home). There were 55,000 for that mid-week game. .(damn Dennis Law)..supporters from both teams shelling out and somehow getting there mid week.

Sunderland supporters have never wavered when they had a team that gave its all and players they could identify with. Sadly that has rarely been reciprocal.

Last edited:
Who remembers the graffiti "HEATON WHITES LEEDS UNITED " on the wall at the big roundabout in Southwick (North Hylton Road, Northern Way, Old Mill Road) in the mid 80s, it was there for years.

Not sure if it referred to Heaton in Newcastle or if it was an area in Leeds/elsewhere.
I remember this, we used to drive past it on the way to Roker

Well people on here are imagining we are rivals with Leeds.

Just because there was some kick off in the 70s/80s doesn't make it a rivalry. Leeds kicked off with everyone.

As hard as it is for people on here to accept, Leeds Utd don't give a shit about Sunderland.
Who’s imagining?
There used to be. Apart from hating the fuckers I don’t see them at all as rivals now.
By the same token I don’t see them as a particularly big club either.

Into the early 80s...

Logon or register to see this image

As for the 'was there a rivalry or wasn't there' debate, caused largely by the title I happened to give this thread...

It just seemed like a generic term suitable enough to sum up the newspaper stuff I knew I was going to be posting, which was basically a series of talking points involving Sunderland/Leeds games/fans from the 60s, 70s and 80s. With hindsight, I probably should have made the title a bit more specific to that content and called the thread "Sunderland-Leeds rivalry 1967-1981", or even missed out the 'R' word altogether and called it "Sunderland-Leeds talking points 1967-1981" which might have been more specific to the content but would have sounded a bit crap.

In short, what you consider a rivalry to be is going to be largely subjective and massively influenced by your age and personal experiences and impressions. It is no coincidence that the posters most adamant there was no rivalry with Leeds are the younger ones (relatively speaking) and the older ones most adamant that there was.

My take on it would be that I think it is fair to say that there was a 'rivalry' over a period of time during the 60s-70s. Not only do we have a Leeds website unequivocally stating this (as quoted earlier in the thread), we also have a Leeds police spokesman referring to a 'long standing rivalry between the clubs' in the newspaper report from the 80s that I've posted above.

However, I also don't think you could say that any particular rivalry has existed between the two this century. That would suggest, then, that any debate should be more to do with when did that rivalry dissipate - and that's probably a subject for a whole other thread...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well people on here are imagining we are rivals with Leeds.

Just because there was some kick off in the 70s/80s doesn't make it a rivalry. Leeds kicked off with everyone.

As hard as it is for people on here to accept, Leeds Utd don't give a shit about Sunderland.

I'm not sure how many away games you attend but anti-Leeds songs have been sung on coaches and in grouds up and down the country for as long as remember.... and I'm 36.

There's always been an edge when we've played them and having lived down that way the feeling is mutual with both sets of supporters.

Remember game when Peter Haddock done John Kay? Clockstand kicked off, Leeds fans shit their pants in our end . Clockstand lower. ?

Leeds fans thought they could take liberties against anyone and didn’t like it when Sunderland gave it back in spades ! I think that’s why they didn’t like us
On a train back London I was listening to some Leeds fans give large about the bother they'd caused, I asked why they'd never come in numbers to Sunderland they didn't have an answer, they never travelled to the Mags in numbers either. There biggest following I recall was the championship game in 2017, going back the best part of 40 years. The only chew I had elland road was sat in the lowfields stand when they only gave us a 1,000 tickets and I had to sit with them
I find them a strange lot

Last edited:
From my own experience I’ve never had any issues with Leeds, got quite a few friends who are Leeds fans - very knowledgable and speak well of us. Last time we were down there a lot of their fans seemed genuinely sad to see us slide down into the division below like a hangover shit that’s stuck to the side of the bowl.

Plenty of talking points over the years...

Logon or register to see this image

"The penalty decision was hotly disputed both at the time and afterwards, as Peter Lorimer recalled in his autobiography. "Don said out of the blue: 'If anybody gets anywhere near the box, get down.' Jimmy Greenhoff, who was quick when he was in full flight, set off on one of his jinking runs and was fully five yards outside the penalty area when he was brought down. By the time he had stumbled, fallen and rolled over a couple of times he was inside the box, and the referee, Ken Stokes, pointed to the spot so quickly that... it was almost embarrassing …"

"This was at a time when there was a lot of talk about referees being got at. I am not saying that Stokes was, but the issue begged close examination. Firstly, why did Revie issue that 'dive' instruction and, secondly, why did Stokes award a penalty that so clearly was not? Lots of things were happening in football that simply did not add up, and this was just another of those … Mulhall is to this day quite irate about the situation. The Sunderland old boys are 100 per cent sure that this was not a straight game. As players, you never know … I remember thinking in the dressing room after that game, 'That was a funny statement of Don's.' Maybe he thought that Ken had not so far given a penalty and might do so at the next debatable incident, maybe there were other factors."

Quote from: The Definitive History of Leeds United - Matches - 20 March 1967 - Leeds United 2 Sunderland 1

More stuff to follow...
Remember it well,it was the first away game I went to.canny crowd that night aswell.

I even went to Bremners testimonial ..... they really really didn't like us.
I was a Boothferry under floodlights as well, packed in with the Roker hordes, the Hull folk hated Leeds I remember, old women shouting for us walking to the ground. ' Beat them Wessies' . At the end, loads of Lads on the pitch after the referee, everybody was seething at the end.
I also took a bus load from Houghton to Bremners testimonial, 1-1. Drinking in Leeds beforehand and the locals couldn't believe we'd travelled down for a midweek testimonial .

I'm not sure how many away games you attend but anti-Leeds songs have been sung on coaches and in grouds up and down the country for as long as remember.... and I'm 36.

There's always been an edge when we've played them and having lived down that way the feeling is mutual with both sets of supporters.

I go to every home game and most away games.

I’ve also live in Leeds for 15 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back