Sunderland-Leeds rivalry

• Thread starter Deleted member 48628
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remember it well :lol:
Yeah....so do I.
We were on the 2nd of 2 coaches that went down to Hull from the Sima Club in Sheels.
The other coach was one of those ambushed and it contained the more ‘game’ members of our entourage....
For whatever reason we were about 10 mins or so behind and it was all over by the time we crawled past. Which meant we saw the ‘destroyed’ Leeds coach in the Little Bistro Coach Park....and I can definitely verify that the report was not exaggerating about the extent of the damage metered out. I’ve seen nothing like it outside of a scrapyard.

Been to Elland Road a few times since the 70's and it's usually hostile for us. Went to Billy Bremner's testimonial just after we beat them in the cup in 1973. Drank in their supporters club pre-match & had no bother? Had two ladies with us, so that may have been the reason.

I’ve been to Leeds quite a few times. I’ve never had a problem tbh. Walk up the hill behind our end and there are a few clubs to choose from. Usually 50/50. Sing songs no trouble.
I do know two utterly obnoxious Leeds fans but I also know a very nice Leeds fan.
In about 2007 I think it was, We went on holiday to Kefalonia. This was when Mr Quinn’s consortium wanted to buy us. On arrival at the airport a mini bus took us to our hotel. There was me and my better half and another couple with a boy aged about 7.
We tried striking up a conversation with them but they were ignorant. Once we got to the hotel we were invited for a welcome drink......with them. Our lass fussed the boy and again we tried to have a chat with them.
His opening gambit was “ Who do you support ?” Before I answered he shouted “ I am Leeds “ I told him I supported The Lads and he burst out laughing. Not a good start.
For two days we avoided them but it was a small hotel and we noticed they didn’t have time for their boy. On the third day our lass went over and asked if their boy would like to come to the beach with us and would it be ok. “ Of course” was the answer. So, we took him to the beach and the next day we took him to the beach, and the next day we took him for his dinner and every day we took him into the pool. We taught him how to swim, how to go under for coins etc.
The sort of things parents do. I know this is long winded but stay with me.
So we got to speak to his parents. He was a long distance lorry driver. She was a Policewoman. They were not married and didn’t particularly like each other.
They were from Leeds. Every day I would go to the newsagents to see if Quinny had bought us. Everyday he would sit in the shade drinking and laugh at me for supporting The Lads. Micky Mouse club was all I would get.
He laughed at Quinny at Mackems at us. He was a big fat slob.
I told our lass what was going to happen and she begged me not to as by now she had a bond with their son who spent every day with us. Anyway last day of the holiday and we are waiting for the mini bus. Policewoman tells us she’s read 10 books in 14 days. Gerraway.
We go back to the airport in silence. At Kefalonia airport their son rushes over and hugs our lass and me. We are on the same flight to Manchester.
At Manchester airport we get through customs, come outside and our regular taxi driver is there. We are putting our cases into the boot when fat Yorkshire lorry driver approaches me and tells me their taxi has fecked up. They won’t have a taxi for one and a half hours, can they get in ours cos we will be passing where they lived.
I turned round and told him what I’d wanted to tell him for two weeks. “ You can feck right off “
A horrible Leeds United fan. We still wonder how the boy turned out.
Yes it was War and Peace, dirrrrrty Leeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back