Sunderland-Leeds rivalry

• Thread starter Deleted member 48628
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not for sweeping past 'crimes' aside and will probably carry grudges against clubs like Coventry and Portsmouth forever. For some reason I'm now fairly ambivalent towards 'dirty' Leeds - I think as we won the most important ever game between the two and Leeds were demoted and failed to return for so long until now it's just worn off.

Generational thing no doubt, but in the 60s and 70s Leeds were universally disliked for their 'professionalism'. I was at Elland Road and Hull in '67 and unfortunately had to travel back to Leeds on a train full of celebrating Leeds fans and then sleep on Leeds station. A horrible experience overall. Since then I've seen us at Leeds some 18 times and without fail it's been a really hostile environment. Dislike runs deep and it'll probably be a side I will have no time for until my 'final whistle'. It was never a penalty and '73 was Oh so sweet revenge. I would say the replay at Leeds is one of my favourite Sunderland games,a great performance.

Am i correct in saying ? as i was only 9 and me dad took me, when the lads brought the FA cup back to Roker Park, they brought on a coffin with Leeds Died 1973 on it? If so who was carrying it, i,m sure this has all been discussed on here before at some point but if you could enlighten me ta. Was it our first home game after the cup?

Last edited:
It must be a generational thing then. The mantra with the two main NE clubs when I was young was that people liked seeing both do well. It was a good reflection on the area. I had a load of uncles on South Tyneside who would go to home matches for both clubs and watch Newcastle play even though they were avid Sunderland fans. The intense rivalry with Newcastle started in the John Hall years as I recall. But Leeds were a focus of dislike mainly due to some of the things mentioned in previous posts; a dirty team of cheats even by the standards of those days and a Manager in Revie, who had played for us, who was notorious for underhand tactics including attempted bribery. And that match at Boothferry Park was a disgrace. Herd and Mulhall sent off after a truly, possibly corrupt, disgraceful decision by the ref. I don't think George Herd had ever even been booked before. Like an OP said he played with a halo round his head. But things move on. Rivalries spring up and then fade. The sands of time and that.

You're definitely wrong there. I was at Leeds in the late 80s and there was hell on. There was definite hate by both sets of fans.

There was plenty bother on when Scunny played Sunlun in the 80s, but there's no "rivalry". Don't think that's a particularly relevant point.

'The Battle of the Little Bistro', anyone?
There was plenty bother on when Scunny played Sunlun in the 80s, but there's no "rivalry". Don't think that's a particularly relevant point.
I was just about to mention that mob (of mainly Leeds) that ambushed us in the pub at Scunthorpe in '87.

Last edited:
Could your lads not put on some black and white shirts and play them tonight?

The bookies odds might improve.

Who remembers the graffiti "HEATON WHITES LEEDS UNITED " on the wall at the big roundabout in Southwick (North Hylton Road, Northern Way, Old Mill Road) in the mid 80s, it was there for years.

Not sure if it referred to Heaton in Newcastle or if it was an area in Leeds/elsewhere.

I would never have thought they would have played a replay at Hull, did that happen often?
It was a second replay after draws at roker and elland road. I attended all 3 games. The referee emigrated to USA afterwards and never officiated again. If you drew at home and away in cup ties, the second replay was at a neutral ground.

Last edited:
Who remembers the graffiti "HEATON WHITES LEEDS UNITED " on the wall at the big roundabout in Southwick (North Hylton Road, Northern Way, Old Mill Road) in the mid 80s, it was there for years.

Not sure if it referred to Heaton in Newcastle or if it was an area in Leeds/elsewhere.

There's a Heaton in West Yorkshire - lived there for a couple of years in the 90's. It's actually closer to Bradford, but can confirm it's full of Leeds. I was there when they won the league under Wilko - they were unbearable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back