Sunderland-Leeds rivalry

• Thread starter Deleted member 48628
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 48628

Plenty of talking points over the years...

Logon or register to see this image

"The penalty decision was hotly disputed both at the time and afterwards, as Peter Lorimer recalled in his autobiography. "Don said out of the blue: 'If anybody gets anywhere near the box, get down.' Jimmy Greenhoff, who was quick when he was in full flight, set off on one of his jinking runs and was fully five yards outside the penalty area when he was brought down. By the time he had stumbled, fallen and rolled over a couple of times he was inside the box, and the referee, Ken Stokes, pointed to the spot so quickly that... it was almost embarrassing …"

"This was at a time when there was a lot of talk about referees being got at. I am not saying that Stokes was, but the issue begged close examination. Firstly, why did Revie issue that 'dive' instruction and, secondly, why did Stokes award a penalty that so clearly was not? Lots of things were happening in football that simply did not add up, and this was just another of those … Mulhall is to this day quite irate about the situation. The Sunderland old boys are 100 per cent sure that this was not a straight game. As players, you never know … I remember thinking in the dressing room after that game, 'That was a funny statement of Don's.' Maybe he thought that Ken had not so far given a penalty and might do so at the next debatable incident, maybe there were other factors."

Quote from: The Definitive History of Leeds United - Matches - 20 March 1967 - Leeds United 2 Sunderland 1

More stuff to follow...

I read about that penalty incident in another book, I’m not sure if it was the Stokoe one, but it too said that Revie told his players to fall over anywhere near the area. Revie had a history of dodgy dealings and this one was one of his worst tricks.

That was the decade when Leeds used to kick us off the park, breaking Bobby Kerr’s legs twice, and making professionalism a dirty word.

I read about that penalty incident in another book, I’m not sure if it was the Stokoe one, but it too said that Revie told his players to fall over anywhere near the area. Revie had a history of dodgy dealings and this one was one of his worst tricks.

That was the decade when Leeds used to kick us off the park, breaking Bobby Kerr’s legs twice, and making professionalism a dirty word.
Revie was bent no doubt.
I’m not aware that Bobby Kerr’s second leg break had anything to do with Leeds, the first one in the cup game was a fair tackle by Hunter.
The worst was a couple of season’s before when Bobby Collins apparently done a horror tackle on Willie McPheat, actually breaking his thigh, that takes some doing.
Charlie Hurley never forgave them.
The bad blood goes back a long way.

Leeds all time record crowd of over 57000 was for the 67 replay against us.
Thousands were locked out.
Crush barriers gave way. Dozens of fans were hospitalised. The kick off was delayed.
The perimeter advertising was obscured by
fans who had nowhere to go but to sit near the touchline.
Hull was hell. Justice was eventually done. In the semi final . Leeds had a late goal controversially disallowed against Chelsea that denied them a replay.
And May 73 came the biggest disappointment of Don Revie's professional life.

Plenty of talking points over the years...

"The penalty decision was hotly disputed both at the time and afterwards, as Peter Lorimer recalled in his autobiography. "Don said out of the blue: 'If anybody gets anywhere near the box, get down.' Jimmy Greenhoff, who was quick when he was in full flight, set off on one of his jinking runs and was fully five yards outside the penalty area when he was brought down. By the time he had stumbled, fallen and rolled over a couple of times he was inside the box, and the referee, Ken Stokes, pointed to the spot so quickly that... it was almost embarrassing …"

"This was at a time when there was a lot of talk about referees being got at. I am not saying that Stokes was, but the issue begged close examination. Firstly, why did Revie issue that 'dive' instruction and, secondly, why did Stokes award a penalty that so clearly was not? Lots of things were happening in football that simply did not add up, and this was just another of those … Mulhall is to this day quite irate about the situation. The Sunderland old boys are 100 per cent sure that this was not a straight game. As players, you never know … I remember thinking in the dressing room after that game, 'That was a funny statement of Don's.' Maybe he thought that Ken had not so far given a penalty and might do so at the next debatable incident, maybe there were other factors."

Quote from: The Definitive History of Leeds United - Matches - 20 March 1967 - Leeds United 2 Sunderland 1

More stuff to follow...
Yes there that night, cheating sods.

After the match at Boothferry Park all the Sunderland fans were incensed. We walked back to the coach park and the Leeds fans were giving it the big I am.
The Leeds fans rushed our coach and there was mayhem. Adrenaline kicked in. I was a fifteen year old iirc correctly. A weedy young thing. But there was a rush of blood.
I wasn't some hard man hero but I was so angry at what had happened. Seething. Did my best. Lost it. I have hated Leeds and their fans ever since.
Bremner, Collins, Greenhoff, Hunter, Reaney. Thugs to a man.
I saw Bobby Kerr have his leg broken twice. From where I was, both, despite what Alan Brown said, were scything , vicious tackles.
Kerr in his first dozen games was like a Garrincha, What he could do to make the ball swerve. Brazilian levels of skill at Roker Park. .
Then two broken legs-
'73 was so sweet.

Leeds all time record crowd of over 57000 was for the 67 replay against us.
Thousands were locked out.
Crush barriers gave way. Dozens of fans were hospitalised. The kick off was delayed.
The perimeter advertising was obscured by
fans who had nowhere to go but to sit near the touchline.
Hull was hell. Justice was eventually done. In the semi final . Leeds had a late goal controversially disallowed against Chelsea that denied them a replay.
And May 73 came the biggest disappointment of Don Revie's professional life.

Never hear any of out lot saying they hate leeds, and vice versa.

Leeds don't have a rivalry with Sunderland. We aren't in the top 10 clubs on their radar.

Before your time, gents - talking 60s/70s maybe 80s here...
I probably should have put a time period in the subject line. I forget not everyone on here was around then...

After the match at Boothferry Park all the Sunderland fans were incensed. We walked back to the coach park and the Leeds fans were giving it the big I am.
The Leeds fans rushed our coach and there was mayhem. Adrenaline kicked in. I was a fifteen year old iirc correctly. A weedy young thing. But there was a rush of blood.
I wasn't some hard man hero but I was so angry at what had happened. Seething. Did my best. Lost it. I have hated Leeds and their fans ever since.
Bremner, Collins, Greenhoff, Hunter, Reaney. Thugs to a man.
I saw Bobby Kerr have his leg broken twice. From where I was, both, despite what Alan Brown said, were scything , vicious tackles.
Kerr in his first dozen games was like a Garrincha, What he could do to make the ball swerve. Brazilian levels of skill at Roker Park. .
Then two broken legs-
'73 was so sweet.
I know exactly where you are coming from.
I have mellowed with age ...but not by much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back