Sunderland’s reputation as UK centre of far right is now national

Status
Not open for further replies.
True mate, but that doesn't equate to extreme xenophobia, my kids are half Asian, their mum my ex is Asian, never had anything but good vibes when we visited sunderland.

Sunderland is not a racist place mate. Sadly though, because we received a lot of press attention after the ref, arseholes like Robinson think it is and have started to target the area.

The problem is; there is a such a large proportion of residents who have zero pride in the City, that these twats have made very small inroads into certain areas

I think it's absolutely horrendous how these individuals and groups have tarnished our city's name. The fiasco of Billy Charlton, Tommy Robinson, Britain First et all coming here has been absolutely shameful to say the least. That day 2 years ago with Celtic was grim.

However, I do believe the OP has a problem with Sunderland and in his previous incarnation of Bagpuss, long lambasted it as a "racist town". I don't accept that. Sunderland is bitter and disillusioned owing to the loss of its industry yes, but apart from a handful of idiots most people here are truly well meaning and have no inclination whatsoever for fascism.

Sunderland is not a racist place mate. Sadly though, because we received a lot of press attention after the ref, arseholes like Robinson think it is and have started to target the area.

The problem is; there is a such a large proportion of residents who have zero pride in the City, that these twats have made very small inroads into certain areas
Although i'm on here saying clearly the city isn't a far right stronghold I think we have a large chunk who are racist in funny ways and haven't changed much with the times shall we say .

So what? It doesn’t mean people voted leave for immigration reasons. Maybe people were just fed up of the city being overlooked for projects that have gone elsewhere in Tyne and Wear.

The referendum really wasn’t as simplistic as remain=pro immigration, leave=anti immigration. I’m not sure why people think this is the case.

If it can be boiled down in a simplistic fashion it's easier to discredit. Sometimes it's easier to just ignore and get on with it, hopefully there's enough will in this country for us to "get on with it".
Tidied for thought experiment

It does work both ways, it's almost like you know the fickleness of people yet only deride one side for their failings? The judge of morality resides on the SMB?

Last edited:
If it can be boiled down in a simplistic fashion it's easier to discredit. Sometimes it's easier to just ignore and get on with it, hopefully there's enough will in this country for us to "get on with it".

It does work both ways, it's almost like you know the fickleness of people yet only deride one side for their failings? The judge of morality resides on the SMB?

What part of me highlighting that this cuts both ways suggests I’m the one only deriding one side for their failings?
*must... learn.... nothing.... from the... lessons... life tries to teach me...

Last edited:
Surely the point of the argument was what any right minded person knows, a couple of brown people were being naughty which was then hijacked to try and make out it was the entire “brown” community, including making up a rape to really stir shit up.

Why is calling it a small town belittling it? Paranoid or what.
Possibly because when it was a town it was one of the biggest and one of the most populous in Europe?

Got sat next to a couple in a restaurant when we were down in that London for the Checkatrade final. Bloke asks where we're from, "Sunderland" we say, his face lights up. "You guys voted Brexit" and he starts banging on about how the referendum went.

Told him I thought it was a shite idea. He lost interest in talking to us after that. Thank fuck.

I seriously struggle to find any above average. Places like Lucianos are really dated. Other Italians are similar - really run of the mill (Potato skins, Pizza and pasta and not much else). There isn't a decent Indian serving real Indian food in the city centre.

UK Wide
Had away and shite man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back