Suicide

Status
Not open for further replies.

The two cases I know of, it was pretty tragic the way they went out of their way to act happy, friendly and non-argumentative on their last day, so that the people they inter-reacted with wouldn't blame themselves for the suicide.

It just made it worse, tbh. We were all sat around asking why we didn't guess as to the reason for the sudden mood change - we thought they'd turned a corner and were optimistic for them.

Neither selfish or brave, but born of a chemical imbalance. Desperately sad for those left behind.

One of the lads on the periphery of our group tried to top himself. The fallout hasn't been pleasant but he's getting help last I heard.

A distant elderly relative of mine killed himself at least 25 years ago. I'd only learned about the cause of death relatively recently. He had almost no family to speak of poor bloke.

Guess I've always thought it was brave as it goes against our natural instinct and I'd definitely not have the balls.
I don't think I could, that's what I mean. Someone must be beyond brave to carry it through but the people they leave behind may never get over it. It's a selfish act but it isn't really them being selfish, they are not functioning mentally as themselves. It's harrowing. Anyway, I'm out after this post mate.

Incredibly sad and leaves you wondering what you maybe could have done to have prevented it. In most cases absolutely nothing. The hysterical crying from his mother at the funeral still haunts me 3 years later.

I would imagine, those that commit suicide are neither selfish nor brave, nor weak.
I just think they've got to a point in their lives where they cannot see any other way out of their problems, other than to end their lives.
I really don't think that they even consider the implications of their actions, and how it will impact on loved ones they leave behind.
They seem to be totally focused on finding a way out of their torment.
It's often been stated, that the hours before somebody ends their life, that they seem totally relaxed and happy, giving no outward clues, that they'll be soon ending their life.
I think the appearance of seeming to be happy, is that they have come to terms with bringing about an end to their torment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I could, that's what I mean. Someone must be beyond brave to carry it through but the people they leave behind may never get over it. It's a selfish act but it isn't really them being selfish, they are not functioning mentally as themselves. It's harrowing. Anyway, I'm out after this post mate.

It’s really difficult to phrase opinion in such a way it’s not construed as insinuating blame or weakness.

What is abundantly clear is that it’s unfortunate for the individual and their lived ones. If only the avenues available to help were more accessible when the person involved feels this way. Unfortunately, there are still cases which slip through.

It’s really difficult to phrase opinion in such a way it’s not construed as insinuating blame or weakness.

What is abundantly clear is that it’s unfortunate for the individual and their lived ones. If only the avenues available to help were more accessible when the person involved feels this way. Unfortunately, there are still cases which slip through.
I hovered over replying as I said I was out mate but you're right.
The mates I've known who have done it displayed no signs at all to anyone. Out of the blue and completely against their outwardly displayed character. How could you steer them to help if you never in a million years thought they were ill?

Desperate act
I suppose there’s different levels , not that I’m an expert but you would think taking an overdose would be easier than jumping off a skyscraper or throwing yourself in front of a train

I hovered over replying as I said I was out mate but you're right.
The mates I've known who have done it displayed no signs at all to anyone. Out of the blue and completely against their outwardly displayed character. How could you steer them to help if you never in a million years thought they were ill?

I don’t expect a reply, so no worries on that front.

I’m in complete agreement. If there are experienced organisations out there who are unable to attract the attention of those feeing this way, then how can the friends of those even begin to comprehend a mate is considering this, let alone offer help. It’s a very personal thing to those at the centre.

Horrible situation for everyone involved.

It’s both brave and selfish.
I read a thing the other day on the day of a friends husbands funeral. He popped himself over the viaduct near where we live killing him self. Suicide doesn’t removes the pain, it just passes it onto someone else. Absolutely! The wife and 2 little lasses have just had their worlds ripped apart and the pain now lives on in many others. He wasn’t a daft lad so he must have thought his pain was so bad he didn’t want it anymore.

Not sure the person who does it is either. They are at the end of whatever shit they are going through and feel like this is their only way out.

Poor bastards every one of them that life has become so hard that this is all they have left.

We really need to talk about this more and maybe it will help one person to not do it.

Last edited:
One of my old mates tried to commit suicide in front of me and another guy, no need for that comment I've experienced it first hand, I knew it was just a cry for help but it was 50/50 whether he survived. Nothing brave about it at all so I don't know why you would even say that.

Neither. People who do it are mentally broken beyond the comprehension of us who don’t have these urges. Who are we to say what they should and shouldn’t do. People suffering terminal illness and won’t come back from the brink of say their cancer is killing them and will want to be out of that misery. People who can’t see a way out or simply not want to carry on fighting it wanting peace will feel just as justified to make that decision too I’d imagine. Tragic is the only way I can imagine it being. Fortunately I know nobody that has succeeded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back