Struggling with work training

As a new employee I'd hope they would make allowances for this. Dont know what line of work you're in but you could explain and ask for extra time to review time to review the training material. Teams is shite.

As a new employee I'd hope they would make allowances for this. Dont know what line of work you're in but you could explain and ask for extra time to review time to review the training material. Teams is shite.

I only started a new job in April last year as well it’s taking the piss.

Anybody else have this issue.

Training for a new job via teams from home and I’m not taking any of it in.

Everybody else seems to understand it yet I’m sitting there and I’m just daydreaming about other things and before I know it the days over and I’ve learnt nothing. Monday’s going to be a struggle.
You need to raise this with the training provider now and work out a plan for how you can catch up - be honest, admit you are struggling- if they are decent they will help you - good luck mate

You need to raise this with the training provider now and work out a plan for how you can catch up - be honest, admit you are struggling- if they are decent they will help you - good luck mate
I don’t want them to realise I haven’t been listening though. They just keep going through the theory behind the job. I’m the sort of person who just needs to be given an idiot Gide and learn through repetition.

Everybody else seems to understand it yet I’m sitting there and I’m just daydreaming about other things and before I know it the days over and I’ve learnt nothing. Monday’s going to be a struggle.
Don't worry. Some of the others that you think are flying are probably struggling as well. Just try your best that's all you can do.
I don’t want them to realise I haven’t been listening though. They just keep going through the theory behind the job. I’m the sort of person who just needs to be given an idiot Gide and learn through repetition.
Work coach?

Last edited:
Don't worry. Some of the others that you think are flying are probably struggling as well. Just try your best that's all you can do.

Work coach?
Yeah I’m hoping that’s the case.

Work coach?
No I work for the child maintenance service. I’m training to take calls from paying parents.

The problem is I go live on Monday and I still don’t know exactly how to go about what I’ll be doing.
One call at a time bud.

Don't worry about your call times when your consolidating, your manager shouldn't be monitoring it in the first few weeks. Use the mentor support that you have, I'm sure there'll have people providing remote support on teams. You won't be the only 1 who's worried in your group, but you'll be fine.

I've recently started a new job too (January) and like you all my training was done via teams which was a nightmare due to the constant stops and starts, technical issues etc.

We had 5 weeks of training to try and cover everything that we needed but to be honest I've picked up more since I've been on my department.

I found the best way to pick things up was notepads and I keep them in the alphabetical box, so when I get a call I just get the note cards out to help me deal with that specific query and if I dont have it then I'll ask my team on Teams.

Its been difficult and im sure its only going to get easier. Although I'm on the sick at the min due to a planned operation so don't know how much will have stuck in by the time I get back.

Looks like we will be at home at least til the end of this year so by the time I do get in the office I'll have been there near enough a year without meeting anyone.

If you are struggling and expected to go live on Monday id ask your buddy (if you have one) for support or have a quiet word with one of your trainers to go over what you feel you are struggling with.

Good luck.

I've recently started a new job too (January) and like you all my training was done via teams which was a nightmare due to the constant stops and starts, technical issues etc.

We had 5 weeks of training to try and cover everything that we needed but to be honest I've picked up more since I've been on my department.

I found the best way to pick things up was notepads and I keep them in the alphabetical box, so when I get a call I just get the note cards out to help me deal with that specific query and if I dont have it then I'll ask my team on Teams.

Its been difficult and im sure its only going to get easier. Although I'm on the sick at the min due to a planned operation so don't know how much will have stuck in by the time I get back.

Looks like we will be at home at least til the end of this year so by the time I do get in the office I'll have been there near enough a year without meeting anyone.

If you are struggling and expected to go live on Monday id ask your buddy (if you have one) for support or have a quiet word with one of your trainers to go over what you feel you are struggling with.

Good luck.

Thanks for being constructive. My biggest fear is that it’s kind of my own fault and I’m scared I’ll be found out for being bored and not listening.

Thanks for being constructive. My biggest fear is that it’s kind of my own fault and I’m scared I’ll be found out for being bored and not listening.

Best thing would be to speak to your trainer you may be surprised at just how much you will have taken in.
Ask them specifically what you will be doing when you do go live as you'll be able to focus on that and pick up the rest along the way.

Explain that you're a practical worker if thats what you are and stress you're finding it a bit overwhelming to take everything in.

I'm sure they will have ways and means to get round this if they have been recruiting over the last 12 months.

At our place there was only 1 intake before mine but there's one ongoing at the moment and another planned. So something must be working. We get a blank guide book and complete modules every few days so we then have to go through the bits we have filled in to pass the test and like I said before I made my own note cards based on what I thought I may get asked.
Before we went live alone we went live with a buddy listening in and they would be typing along on teams providing assistance. Perhaps ask if this is something that can be done on Monday?

I wouldn't worry about it you seem pretty suited to a senior management role.

its the trainers job to get the message over. you don't have to tell them you were bored - focus on the issue - you need some remedial training urgently. worry about monday on monday .

Back