Struggling with work training

It’s a job with the DWP. Every time I get comfortable in a new job they move me somewhere else.
Nightmare! One of the people at my new job (HMLR) has come from DWP and another from HMRC. Seems to be lots of moving around in the civil service. Best of luck with it all, mate. No time like the present to address the issues you're having: just be honest with your trainers and say, you are struggling and would like to put time and effort into making it right.

Anybody else have this issue.

Training for a new job via teams from home and I’m not taking any of it in.

Everybody else seems to understand it yet I’m sitting there and I’m just daydreaming about other things and before I know it the days over and I’ve learnt nothing. Monday’s going to be a struggle.
Yeah, I’ve found this since working from home. People have different learning styles. And personally I have to be engaged with what I am learning, so being lectured over Teams with tedious PowerPoint presentations and little to no interactive component is just a recipe for me completely switching off.
I'm having this issue right now. It just doesn't sink in. What's your new job?
Do you know what your “learning style” is?

Personally I’m ridiculously visual and I like to piss about with systems etc so I cannot get onboard with how training plays out over Teams, which is mostly auditory.

Last edited:
Before I retired during lockdown 1.0 I was a Learning & Development professional. Mainly Leadership and Management stuff just before I packed in.

One of the things I had to do in my final months was to redesign, develop and deliver various team workshops and training events that I’d otherwise have been running as fully interactive, experiential learning programmes. MS Teams was all I was allowed and no bugger had a clue about what I was trying to achieve or how to advise me.

After each and every one of the half dozen or so events I delivered in my final months the feedback I had was very good and complimentary. But it was bollocks. I just knew that some people had disengaged - the ones that in a live event I’d have spotted body language and would have switched things or facilitated differently to energise - and there was ample evidence via the technology that this was so.

Plus I. hated. every. f***ing. moment.

I’d spent years getting qualified, training, developing skills and knowledge on the best way to deliver learning and suddenly a whole load of what I knew to be the most effective approaches were denied to me.

I suppose and expect that new approaches and technology will replace a lot of what I used to do. It’s often cheaper and logistically easier. But it’s not better. It’s not effective. It doesn’t always result in learning, and/or changes in behaviour which is the point of training

A lot of what is referred to as training is really just an interactive presentation and the passing on of information. You might as well do e-learning. And we all know how easy it is to disengage from that still pass the tests. Again, there’s a skill in designing it and I’ve done that too... but I always thought “what would really work here, is if I could run an exercise or set a task to...” but I can’t. Cos computers can’t interact in that way ... or improvise, or read the room, or facilitate a discussion, or respond to challenge. Blah blah

I’m glad I retired, because if I’d had to do it that way for longer than I did I’d have been extremely stressed and frustrated and crap at it.

Obviously it’s 4:30 in the morning, I can’t sleep and I’m talking bollocks on the internet about L&D. But I ain’t half glad I’m not loading up the laptop and logging on for a teams session later this morning. :)

Before I retired during lockdown 1.0 I was a Learning & Development professional. Mainly Leadership and Management stuff just before I packed in.

One of the things I had to do in my final months was to redesign, develop and deliver various team workshops and training events that I’d otherwise have been running as fully interactive, experiential learning programmes. MS Teams was all I was allowed and no bugger had a clue about what I was trying to achieve or how to advise me.

After each and every one of the half dozen or so events I delivered in my final months the feedback I had was very good and complimentary. But it was bollocks. I just knew that some people had disengaged - the ones that in a live event I’d have spotted body language and would have switched things or facilitated differently to energise - and there was ample evidence via the technology that this was so.

I’d spent years getting qualified, training, developing skills and knowledge on the best way to deliver learning and suddenly a whole load of what I knew to be the most effective approaches were denied to me.

I suppose and expect that new approaches and technology will replace a lot of what I used to do. It’s often cheaper and logistically easier. But it’s not better. It’s not effective. It doesn’t always result in learning, and/or changes in behaviour which is the point of training

A lot of what is referred to as training is really just an interactive presentation and the passing on of information. You might as well do e-learning. And we all know how easy it is to disengage from that still pass the tests. Again, there’s a skill in designing it and I’ve done that too... but I always thought “what would really work here, is if I could run an exercise or set a task to...” but I can’t. Cos computers can’t interact in that way ... or improvise, or read the room, or facilitate a discussion, or respond to challenge. Blah blah

I’m glad I retired, because if I’d had to do it that way for longer than I did I’d have been extremely stressed and frustrated and crap at it.

Obviously it’s 4:30 in the morning, I can’t sleep and I’m talking bollocks on the internet about L&D. But I ain’t half glad I’m not loading up the laptop and logging on for a teams session later this morning. :)
You also no longer have to tell your students that it’s “their” course and what they put in will determine how much they get out!!

We had a load of mandatory training which involved a lot of videos and a test at the end. That must have taken me several days when I first started!

Did some Agile Practitioner certifications in the first lockdown virtually and it seemed to work well. Helped that I’d done a few roles as a sort of proxy product owner for my clients beforehand.

So no idea what’s wrong with your defective attention span there m8.

Nightmare! One of the people at my new job (HMLR) has come from DWP and another from HMRC. Seems to be lots of moving around in the civil service. Best of luck with it all, mate. No time like the present to address the issues you're having: just be honest with your trainers and say, you are struggling and would like to put time and effort into making it right.
Why no, just be the usual useless help to the general public.

Everybody else seems to understand it yet I’m sitting there and I’m just daydreaming about other things and before I know it the days over and I’ve learnt nothing. Monday’s going to be a struggle.

As someone who's on the other side of the coin so to speak, it is an absolute nightmare.

There's next to no interaction, you can't read peoples body language as to whether they're struggling with it or not. Luckily I'm back out on the road now.

Knock yourself a few 'crib sheets' up and have them in front of you when you go live, as time goes on you add stuff to them that you think you will need to refer to. After a few weeks you will find you won't need the crib sheets anymore as you will have absorbed all the info without realising ;)

I feel your pain

I have about 20 odd training sessions to deliver between May and July all currently planned to be on Teams.

I'm hoping restrictions get lifted so we can do them face to face.

The majority of them are small group and all will be highly interactive so hopefully shuld be able to spot those who are disengaged and get them back on track.

Retirement beckons when I've finished that lot and the accompanying e-learning

Back