Struggling with work training

I feel your pain

I have about 20 odd training sessions to deliver between May and July all currently planned to be on Teams.

I'm hoping restrictions get lifted so we can do them face to face.

The majority of them are small group and all will be highly interactive so hopefully shuld be able to spot those who are disengaged and get them back on track.

Retirement beckons when I've finished that lot and the accompanying e-learning
Just had a 90 minute Teams meeting this morning, and I was barely paying attention to be honest.

Also someone would speak, ask a long-winded question, and go 'what are your thoughts?'

Me: I think you cut out after the first 4 words so you might want to say all of that again, perhaps make it a bit more terse or say it quickly :) .

I've also got building work going on in my house atm, and we've got a toddler, who is at home most of the week, so I'm also getting a bit frustrated when people unnecessarily elongate meetings. I'm not rude, and i don't show it, but it is irritating when people ask inane questions that they already know the answer to, or know that there currently isn't an answer.

Just reading back above, I think I'm just having a bad day! :)

Anybody else have this issue.

Training for a new job via teams from home and I’m not taking any of it in.

Everybody else seems to understand it yet I’m sitting there and I’m just daydreaming about other things and before I know it the days over and I’ve learnt nothing. Monday’s going to be a struggle.
Is there anything you can print out? I learn much better reading off paper than a screen.

Just had a 90 minute Teams meeting this morning, and I was barely paying attention to be honest.

Also someone would speak, ask a long-winded question, and go 'what are your thoughts?'

Me: I think you cut out after the first 4 words so you might want to say all of that again, perhaps make it a bit more terse or say it quickly :) .

I've also got building work going on in my house atm, and we've got a toddler, who is at home most of the week, so I'm also getting a bit frustrated when people unnecessarily elongate meetings. I'm not rude, and i don't show it, but it is irritating when people ask inane questions that they already know the answer to, or know that there currently isn't an answer.

Just reading back above, I think I'm just having a bad day! :)
No, i think you just summed up most WFH Teams meetings.
The first one i attended during the first lockdown, bearing in mind i'm a bit deaf and lip read a bit.
I'm in a workshop with background noise, 6 other people at home.
Everyone cutting across each other, dogs barking, kids wandering in saying maaaaaaam so and so's hitting me/can i have a biscuit. 🤯🤯.

I discovered during my retirement notice that you can remotely mute the boss when he’s being irritating and long winded during an msmeeting and if you warn the rest of the meeting, via the watsap group that you set up coz everybody was stressed and he was being utterly knobbish, that you’re about to do it... well a lot of people have to mute as well and turn their camera off as well due to the ensuing hilarity.

PS : I only did it in one meeting.

Was gonna say you won't be the only one with questions so get them asked in the meetings. Until he said he wasn't listening.

Also Canadians with a major chip on their shoulders, not American. They appear to have the same stereotypical difficulties with geography as their southern cousins.
North AMERICA, you're American.

Feeling the need to bump this thread because i’m Feeling very down and demoralised by how my trainings going.

I’m in consolidation now so i’m Basically doing the job but with a “consolidator” who checks my work and helps over teams.

I’m doing my best but yesterday my consolidator actually shouted at me and said something I got wrong was mental. If I don’t understand something straight away he sighs and just repeats the same thing in a more aggressive tone rather than trying to explain a different way.

In my team meeting other people mentioned they are making the same mistakes as me but the person helping has been patient with them. I get told it’s just my “bread and butter”.

Feeling the need to bump this thread because i’m Feeling very down and demoralised by how my trainings going.

I’m in consolidation now so i’m Basically doing the job but with a “consolidator” who checks my work and helps over teams.

I’m doing my best but yesterday my consolidator actually shouted at me and said something I got wrong was mental. If I don’t understand something straight away he sighs and just repeats the same thing in a more aggressive tone rather than trying to explain a different way.

In my team meeting other people mentioned they are making the same mistakes as me but the person helping has been patient with them. I get told it’s just my “bread and butter”.
What would Avril do?

I don’t get it, bread and butter? Do you have a 1-2-1 you can bring this up in, constructively?

What would Avril do?

She got sacked from her only “normal” job before becoming famous. The man who bragged to the media sacking her has now gone out of business whilst Avril is living her dream. That’s what I call karma!
I don’t get it, bread and butter? Do you have a 1-2-1 you can bring this up in, constructively?

I was doing something on the system by myself for the first time and did it wrong, and got told “ this is just your bread and butter Adam”. Being someone who isn’t a confident person I thought I must be thick. However a couple of other people in our team meeting said they made the same mistake and the person helping them was “ lovely and patient”. And no I haven’t has a 1 to 1, I’ve been asked how I’m doing in team meetings but I’m not confident bringing it up in front of others.

Last edited:

Very sorry to hear about that mate. I work for the department as well. Don't let it get you down mate. Shouldn't be worrying about work at this time on a Saturday! Like you say there'll be other people making mistakes and I bet some of them will be worse than what you have made. It sounds like the lad isn't cut out for mentoring, he should be patient and approachable. He should be happy to be a 'consolidator' because he'll be getting away from his usual line of work. Have a word with your team leader and hopefully they can resolve it for you. If not, don't hesitate to speak to your HEO because you shouldn't have to feel like this.

Can you just say he made inappropriate comments to you and insinuated meeting up to do things to you? If he’s of no help, get him sacked.

Very sorry to hear about that mate. I work for the department as well. Don't let it get you down mate. Shouldn't be worrying about work at this time on a Saturday! Like you say there'll be other people making mistakes and I bet some of them will be worse than what you have made. It sounds like the lad isn't cut out for mentoring, he should be patient and approachable. He should be happy to be a 'consolidator' because he'll be getting away from his usual line of work. Have a word with your team leader and hopefully they can resolve it for you. If not, don't hesitate to speak to your HEO because you shouldn't have to feel like this.
Thanks for that.

The most annoying thing is I was chosen for this job because I performed well in my last job.

It’s not like he doesn’t know his stuff and he’s helped with everything I’ve asked him about. It’s just the attitude. Has me trading on eggg shells which is destroying my confidence and leading to more mistakes.

Thanks for that.

The most annoying thing is I was chosen for this job because I performed well in my last job.

It’s not like he doesn’t know his stuff and he’s helped with everything I’ve asked him about. It’s just the attitude. Has me trading on eggg shells which is destroying my confidence and leading to more mistakes.
Who do you work for? Am I right in thinking it's within the civil service?

Talk to your manager about it, if you have not already.

Thanks for that.

His tone is just as important as the content of the advice he is delivering. I think motivating and building confidence is part of being a consolidator/mentor as well as being able to give the technical input. Best speak to your manager, I'm sure he or she will be able to sort it out for you, if not then be sure to take it further. Let me know how you get on bud.

Thanks for that.

He shouldn’t be in that role by the sounds of it.

I’m not a patient bloke but when people are new you have to accept people need additional support and people learn at different speeds etc.

Mate I feel for you , been there myself several times. My advice is tell him, sorry mate I'm a pain but your meant to be helping me but you make me not want to ask.
Stick in though a in a few weeks it will be bread an butter an he'll be asking you for help

Back