Striding Edge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad in bad weather, but it's just a case of being careful. I think Sharp's Edge on Blencathrya is far worse.

Mind I don't think they're anything to cause a seasoned walker pause for thought. I think the problem with Hellvelyn in particular is its tourist status, you get people who aren't used to walking going up it as an experience and then get into bother

Bad in bad weather, but it's just a case of being careful. I think Sharp's Edge on Blencathrya is far worse.

Mind I don't think they're anything to cause a seasoned walker pause for thought. I think the problem with Hellvelyn in particular is its tourist status, you get people who aren't used to walking going up it as an experience and then get into bother

This!

Just mentioned Ben Nevis in another thread this morning. I visited when my boys were younger and we walked up the summit path for about half an hour. We didn't go any further as they were too little but they wanted to say they'd walked up it.

I saw people on the path heading up to the summit in ordinary trainers and clothing that wouldn't withstand the weather if it suddenly changed on the top (which it does!). People just don't understand how dangerous it can be if you don't have the right clothing, footwear and equipment with you.

This!

Just mentioned Ben Nevis in another thread this morning. I visited when my boys were younger and we walked up the summit path for about half an hour. We didn't go any further as they were too little but they wanted to say they'd walked up it.

I saw people on the path heading up to the summit in ordinary trainers and clothing that wouldn't withstand the weather if it suddenly changed on the top (which it does!). People just don't understand how dangerous it can be if you don't have the right clothing, footwear and equipment with you.
I had a similar experience whilst descending Scafell Pike. I was about 2 thirds of the way back down, when I was stopped by a young Scouse couple ( dressed in typical summer attire) shorts trainers T shirts etc. She asked me how long it would take them to get to the top. Luckily the weather was perfect that day, but as you mentioned Becs. It can change so quickly in lakeland.

It's a doddle, if you're okay with heights.

Like stepping on dustbin lids with people clinging to the ledge below you.

A fair old walk from Glenridding on the horseshoe.

I was on Helvellyn a few years back with an old girlfriend and the weather was horrendous..the daft bastards who she knew wanted to go on to Striding Edge..a couple coming down told us they'd never seen it so bad and to turn round..they were just about to go on when a mountain ranger appeared out of nowhere and told us to get off the mountain immediately..i wasn't going to go on regardless but these daft twats were going to.

It can be dodgy if the weather is bad but it's actually fairly innocuous.
Was 21C in the valley and when the cloud base came in ...it was like a pebble beach on top in the fog and bloody freezin

This!

I got snowed off at Whit-Sun on Ben Nevis...had all the kit so didn't matter ;)

Last edited:

Been up Sharp edge with a full pack on ...class like

I got snowed off at Whit-Sun on Ben Nevis...had all the kit so didn't matter ;)

We were staying a caravan at the foot of Ben Nevis in August and we had a freak cold night with a ground frost. There were extra blankets in one of the wardrobes and we were huddled up in them :eek::lol:

No such thing as a dangerous mountain if you have the right kit and skills.
But surely even with appropriate experience and equipment anyone can slip or make a mistake? The consequences of such a mistake are then dependent upon where you are, which is why some mountains are more dangerous than others. The consequences of a slip going up the tourist path on Skiddaw are very different to a similar slip on Sharp Edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back