Striding Edge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Have you done the CMD Arête? It doesn’t look too dodgy but looks class!

I haven't mate - I've done about 80 of the Munro's but never really fancied the Benn. The other good one is Liathach up in Torridon - that is a cracking and hard day out. An Teallach is next on the list but need to lose some lard and get fit again.

I haven't mate - I've done about 80 of the Munro's but never really fancied the Benn. The other good one is Liathach up in Torridon - that is a cracking and hard day out. An Teallach is next on the list but need to lose some lard and get fit again.
Did the tourist trail up Ben Nevis, it was shit! Just a long procession of people trudging along. Liatach is supposed to be awesome like.

I haven’t done much in the way of Munro’s but do fancy the Ring of Steall....just the name of it sounds class!

Just thinking, maybe we need a SMB walking group...get out on the hills and a few beers afterward, it’d be nice distraction from football!

Last edited:
Did the tourist trail up Ben Nevis, it was shit! Just a long procession of people trudging along. Liatach is supposed to be awesome like.

I haven’t done much in the way of Munro’s but do fancy the Ring of Steall....just the name of it sounds class!

Just thinking, maybe we need a SMB walking group...get out on the hills and a few beers afterward, it’d be nice distraction from football!

Liathach is excellent - very tough climb up to the ridge mind. I couldn't do it now. Beinn Alligin up there is spectacular as well.

If you want to bag a few munro's head up to Glen Shiel. There's a cracking boozer called the Cluanie Inn where you can stay either in the bunk-house or in the b&b. There are two great wide ridge walks, no scrambling needed, one on both the north and south side of the ridge with something like 7 on the south ridge and a shed load Munro's on the north. Its not as breath-taking as Glen Coe or Torridon but its pretty good.

Last edited:
I have done Helvelyn a few times, by Swirral Edge and Dolleywaggon Pike. Due to doing it with my dogs. S wirral has a bit of a scramble but I won't do Striding Edge. Done most of those walks at that end of Ullswater but usually a safe route.

Blencathra is my favourite mountain. We park in the lay-by just west of Scales Farm then nice easy stroll round overlooking Scales Beck up to the tarn. Stop for a cuppa then up Striding Edge, along the saddle to the top and straight back down Hall's Fell ridge. Still a bit scrambling to do going down and it's so steep it does your knees in! We normally take 2 hours up and another 2 down but we are old now!

Blencathra is my favourite mountain. We park in the lay-by just west of Scales Farm then nice easy stroll round overlooking Scales Beck up to the tarn. Stop for a cuppa then up Striding Edge, along the saddle to the top and straight back down Hall's Fell ridge. Still a bit scrambling to do going down and it's so steep it does your knees in! We normally take 2 hours up and another 2 down but we are old now!

I assume you mean sharp edge not striding. I love the run down halls fell or event the parachute route to the right on the scree straight down the gulley.

I have done Helvelyn a few times, by Swirral Edge and Dolleywaggon Pike. Due to doing it with my dogs. S wirral has a bit of a scramble but I won't do Striding Edge. Done most of those walks at that end of Ullswater but usually a safe route.
Done Striding edge with dogs, they were far more agile than me bouncing along.

Scales Tarn...probably the lowest one that you can wild camp at late in the evening...when no ones around ;)

It can, but surely if you are going out for the day walking or climbing then you would have read the weather forecast and be prepared for any turn in the weather.
You can get caught out. Experienced climbers do die. Lakes can go from benign to treacherous in minutes.
You also get reet idiots going up there--folks like these should be fined for fun with the cash going in the pot for the brave MR teams:cool:
http://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/barro..._campaign=Newsletter:+Dailies:+Mail+(Sat-Sun)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back