Striding Edge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My parents got lost in the Cheviots once. They'd done it before so they didn't take a compass or a map with them as they thought they knew the way. A sudden white out blizzard appeared out of nowhere and they ended up taking shelter in a sheep pen until it passed. Once everything was covered in snow, the landscape looked totally different and they had no idea which way to go to get back to the car. They only worked it out as they knew they'd passed sheep with red markings coming up and noticed the sheep in the other direction had blue markings.
I bet the mountain rescue people feel like giving a few slaps out

Years ago while going through my divorce I went to the top in winter on my own, wearing boots, jeans and a jumper. It was -15 on the top and there had been avalanche warnings. I followed the crampon marks to the top then when I turned to go back down my footprints in the snow had disappeared in minutes. I was in a white out with no idea the direction I was going and feeling a bit worried. It was probably one of the most stupid things I've ever done (apart from renewing my season card this year).
Don't leave us in suspense - did you get back down?

I walked up it with a school pal and his Father when I was only about thirteen.
It was early in the year and covered in ice and snow.
A bit worrying at the time as I had no idea what to expect, so just as well my hiking boots had a decent set of studs.

Walked it a few times - nothing to worry about if you're careful. It's no Aonach Eaghach - that's the hairiest ridge walk I've done in the UK.

I was on Helvellyn a few years back with an old girlfriend and the weather was horrendous..the daft bastards who she knew wanted to go on to Striding Edge..a couple coming down told us they'd never seen it so bad and to turn round..they were just about to go on when a mountain ranger appeared out of nowhere and told us to get off the mountain immediately..i wasn't going to go on regardless but these daft twats were going to.

A mountain ranger sounds epic.

Did he have a cape and glorious moustache?

It's one to take your time over. Go with proper walkers/climbers, you really don't need arseholes making 'clever' comments or taking the piss. First time I had the pleasure I was fine until I glanced down and there was a memorial, presumably to someone less fortunate.

Walked it a few times - nothing to worry about if you're careful. It's no Aonach Eaghach - that's the hairiest ridge walk I've done in the UK.
I once did Aonach Eagach in winter & at one point the wind got up such that we were having to lie flat on the ground holding on to rocks to avoid being blown off the edge. A few times I was shitting it cos it began to feel like things were getting beyond our control, but once we made it past that section it was OK. Had a few drinks that night.

Been up Sharp edge with a full pack on ...class like
Yeah it's a great walk, done it many times. Nothing technically demanding but it's a great way to spend a morning in the Lakes is Blencathra, it's got a bit of everything

But surely even with appropriate experience and equipment anyone can slip or make a mistake? The consequences of such a mistake are then dependent upon where you are, which is why some mountains are more dangerous than others. The consequences of a slip going up the tourist path on Skiddaw are very different to a similar slip on Sharp Edge.
I mean you're right but the evidence suggests it's a tiny percentage of people. You're a hundreds times more likely to die in the car en route. Ridge walks of that difficulty are something so much in your control if you're sensible that the chances of risk aren't worth considering if you approach it sensibly. It would be like worrying about choking to death every time you eat. It can happen sure but the mere possibility of that isn't reason to say that eating is dangerous.

Last edited:
A mountain ranger sounds epic.

Did he have a cape and glorious moustache?

He didn't mess about like..'everyone off the mountain now..NOW'..he couldn't have appeared at a better time..having seen the OP's video of Striding Edge if the arseholes I was with had gone on they'd have been in serious trouble like.

1 in 10 used to die trying would say otherwise. You could be right they may have taken unnecessary risks.

Any mountain in the death zone will always have a high chance of death. People have throughout history taken huge risks on these mountains whether it be due to the financial outlay of the trip, they were chasing glory (first to summit, first to complete a group etc), peer pressure etc.

Any mountain in the death zone will always have a high chance of death. People have throughout history taken huge risks on these mountains whether it be due to the financial outlay of the trip, they were chasing glory (first to summit, first to complete a group etc), peer pressure etc.

You said there is no such thing as a dangerous mountain but there are death zones on some. That was sort of my point.

Like you said it's all about unnecessary risk, along with wrong kit and not enough skills/experience. You could kill yourself on any mountain if you took unnecessary risks
You can get caught out. Experienced climbers do die. Lakes can go from benign to treacherous in minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back