Striding Edge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinnacle ridge on St Sunday Crag is much harder.
Yes it is, but you're getting into scrambling territory there, which Striding Edge isn't. According to the BMC Pinnacle Ridge is a Grade 3 scramble if you go up the crest.

But surely even with appropriate experience and equipment anyone can slip or make a mistake? The consequences of such a mistake are then dependent upon where you are, which is why some mountains are more dangerous than others. The consequences of a slip going up the tourist path on Skiddaw are very different to a similar slip on Sharp Edge.

More skill equals less chance of slipping

More skill equals less chance of slipping
Fair enough, but as Alan Hinkes is fond of saying you can kill yourself just as easily falling off a cliff taller than yourself in the Lakes as a cliff taller than yourself in the major ranges. Anyone can slip, experience and skill just makes it less likely, and it's the potential consequences of a slip which determine how dangerous a place you're in. Ever watched/read Touching the Void - he didn't fall that far.

There appears to be only one stupid bastard on this thread.

Yeah, you.

Fair enough, but as Alan Hinkes is fond of saying you can kill yourself just as easily falling off a cliff taller than yourself in the Lakes as a cliff taller than yourself in the major ranges. Anyone can slip, experience and skill just makes it less likely, and it's the potential consequences of a slip which determine how dangerous a place you're in. Ever watched/read Touching the Void - he didn't fall that far.

I have both read it and watched it. He wouldn't have been in such a bad way if simon hadn't cut him loose

Done it when it was thick of fog up there.

Needless to say I was shitting myself.
Exactly the same as when I did it, rocks were slippy and you couldn't see the ground but I knew there was a massive drop either side. The bit where you have to jump the gap made me very nervous.

It was a school trip, on the same one a lad very nearly drowned after the teachers made us swim in an icy Ullswater.

Did I hear that a couple of climbers have died falling off Striding Edge recently?
Just how dangerous is this walk?
It’s a piece of piss tbh, two route over it, one goes over the top of the rocks but there’s also a safe path a few metres further down. There’s a bit of exposure which if you’re not used to it can be a bit disorienting. There’s also a small scramble before the final climb, not much to worry about though.

The problem with striding edge is its popularity. You get so many twats doing it in fancy dress for charity having never set foot on a hill before or you get your Julia Bradbury fucknuts who have a copy of a wainwright book and no idea.

There should be an entry requirements to get on some of the hills, there really should.

Having said that, rip to the deceased.

You seem to think that dead people will regale you with mountain stories, admittedly they will still be more interesting than you though. Talking about you being thick, is Amsterdam a capital city?
You sir are a typical self obsessed civil servant. I'm surprised you manage on such a poor salary?

This!

Just mentioned Ben Nevis in another thread this morning. I visited when my boys were younger and we walked up the summit path for about half an hour. We didn't go any further as they were too little but they wanted to say they'd walked up it.

I saw people on the path heading up to the summit in ordinary trainers and clothing that wouldn't withstand the weather if it suddenly changed on the top (which it does!). People just don't understand how dangerous it can be if you don't have the right clothing, footwear and equipment with you.
Years ago while going through my divorce I went to the top in winter on my own, wearing boots, jeans and a jumper. It was -15 on the top and there had been avalanche warnings. I followed the crampon marks to the top then when I turned to go back down my footprints in the snow had disappeared in minutes. I was in a white out with no idea the direction I was going and feeling a bit worried. It was probably one of the most stupid things I've ever done (apart from renewing my season card this year).

Years ago while going through my divorce I went to the top in winter on my own, wearing boots, jeans and a jumper. It was -15 on the top and there had been avalanche warnings. I followed the crampon marks to the top then when I turned to go back down my footprints in the snow had disappeared in minutes. I was in a white out with no idea the direction I was going and feeling a bit worried. It was probably one of the most stupid things I've ever done (apart from renewing my season card this year).

My parents got lost in the Cheviots once. They'd done it before so they didn't take a compass or a map with them as they thought they knew the way. A sudden white out blizzard appeared out of nowhere and they ended up taking shelter in a sheep pen until it passed. Once everything was covered in snow, the landscape looked totally different and they had no idea which way to go to get back to the car. They only worked it out as they knew they'd passed sheep with red markings coming up and noticed the sheep in the other direction had blue markings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back