Stocks n Shares ISA

An energy fund is a good idea right now (unless some windfall taxes come along) but I wouldn't restrict myself to a FTSE100 fund which is dominated by a handful of large caps. Better to go for a global fund to get exposure to the US, Europe and the rest of the world. In recent years the FTSE has been one of the worst performing indexes

HSBC but they're all pretty similar, given they're doing the same thing. It has ups and downs but I've never been negative on it. If you're investing for retirement/long term they're a pretty safe bet. I just put money in every month
HSBC Global Strategy Adventurous Fund by any chance ?

An energy fund is a good idea right now (unless some windfall taxes come along) but I wouldn't restrict myself to a FTSE100 fund which is dominated by a handful of large caps. Better to go for a global fund to get exposure to the US, Europe and the rest of the world. In recent years the FTSE has been one of the worst performing indexes
I wasn't making a recommendation, simply sharing my choices.

I'm quite happy with my diverse and balanced portfolio made up of cash, shares and property which is aligned to my appetite to risk. :)

Get taxed all owa the place, your knowledge of the right areas, prices, demand etc would have to be top notch. It’ll help if you’re handy & can do all the shit that could go wrong, then you’ve got to pay for stuff like boilers, leaky roofs, void periods. Then you’ve got to deal with idiot tenants. I’m an accidental landlord & it’s isn’t fun. Easier if you have half a dozen or more by all accounts:
Ive got a nice little portfolio, returns at about 8.5% net to the money I’ve got tied up in it plus the capital appreciation on top. Top tips would be to know the area’s and demographic of where you invest, cheapest isn’t always best.Do the property to a decent standard and deal with issues straight away, your tenants are your life blood! Dont be greedy with rents, better to go slightly low and get your pick of tenants.
Overall if done correctly BTL is a great investment strategy……its certainly far less volatile than other investments i hold.

Ive got a nice little portfolio, returns at about 8.5% net to the money I’ve got tied up in it plus the capital appreciation on top. Top tips would be to know the area’s and demographic of where you invest, cheapest isn’t always best.Do the property to a decent standard and deal with issues straight away, your tenants are your life blood! Dont be greedy with rents, better to go slightly low and get your pick of tenants.
Overall if done correctly BTL is a great investment strategy……its certainly far less volatile than other investments i hold.
I think the main thing is, having all your knowledge ready before you start. I’m going to guess your portfolio started before the tax squeeze started 5/6 years ago? You’ll have had time to get it right in the “good times”.

I know a lad, who “knows property”. More than I ever will. Handy, has got a bit of a portfolio going. He got his last £30k deposit from his Ltd Co where he’ll have paid 19% corporation tax & 32.5% dividends. He’s got to earned circa £60k to get taxed to take that £30k for a deposit then still pay stamp duty & tax on the income. Then there’s mortgage interest, potential capital gains, all the stuff I mentioned before about maintenance etc.

That £60k into a pension with no tax on input & 15% coming (after tax free cash) out for an income in retirement income is an option without all of the above stuff. 6%-8% average growth is very achievable over the long term.

Everybody’s different, different needs & goals, but it’s a common misconception buying property is easy & a way to make a quick few quid.

I think the main thing is, having all your knowledge ready before you start. I’m going to guess your portfolio started before the tax squeeze started 5/6 years ago? You’ll have had time to get it right in the “good times”.

I know a lad, who “knows property”. More than I ever will. Handy, has got a bit of a portfolio going. He got his last £30k deposit from his Ltd Co where he’ll have paid 19% corporation tax & 32.5% dividends. He’s got to earned circa £60k to get taxed to take that £30k for a deposit then still pay stamp duty & tax on the income. Then there’s mortgage interest, potential capital gains, all the stuff I mentioned before about maintenance etc.

That £60k into a pension with no tax on input & 15% coming (after tax free cash) out for an income in retirement income is an option without all of the above stuff. 6%-8% average growth is very achievable over the long term.

Everybody’s different, different needs & goals, but it’s a common misconception buying property is easy & a way to make a quick few quid.
Its a huge misconception, perpetuated by chancers on social media offering training and courses at extortionate rates! It is though a solid long term investment as part of diverse investment strategy, although it definitely isn’t for everyone for all the reasons you have listed.

HSBC but they're all pretty similar, given they're doing the same thing. It has ups and downs but I've never been negative on it. If you're investing for retirement/long term they're a pretty safe bet. I just put money in every month
I was thinking of opening a HSBC account here in China, putting money in every month (cash) because tying to get money out of China is difficult. I don't have a bank account in the UK anymore and ideally I would. The problem is trying to get money transferred to the UK account. Others have tried over here i.e. getting money out of the Chinese bank and into an account back home but they put up a lot of barriers over here to stop it.

Anyhoo..think i'll look into vanguard also. I jaut want to save money and cash in in about 10 years. If im not dead by then.

The big issue with pensions though is if you need it before 57/8 you’re snookered.

Don't think I could cope with the stress and hassle of being a landlord. Much happier to leave it passively to the markets. Commercial property investments might have been a nice little earner once upon a time but not now with many businesses downsizing office space.

I was thinking of opening a HSBC account here in China, putting money in every month (cash) because tying to get money out of China is difficult. I don't have a bank account in the UK anymore and ideally I would. The problem is trying to get money transferred to the UK account. Others have tried over here i.e. getting money out of the Chinese bank and into an account back home but they put up a lot of barriers over here to stop it.

Anyhoo..think i'll look into vanguard also. I jaut want to save money and cash in in about 10 years. If im not dead by then.

If you're looking at vanguard UK, then you need a UK bank account to fund it

Local government pension scheme is defined benefit.
Don't think I could cope with the stress and hassle of being a landlord. Much happier to leave it passively to the markets. Commercial property investments might have been a nice little earner once upon a time but not now with many businesses downsizing office space.
Few I know have holiday lets as pensions , pricing local communities out of housing 😬…. Good idea for pension unless rishi clicks he could raise more taxes from them

The vanguard one? if so how's it doing, we haven't made our investments this year yet but I fancy the S&P 500 ETF
That index is heavy in tech stocks, maybe look at the FTSE Global all cap, still lots of tech due to the size of some of these companies who literally make fk all but are massive.
Maybe we might see a shift to companies who actually make stuff we need rather than the likes of facebook who seem to be nothing more than a platform for adverts.
Disclaimer : I'm not a FA and all my investment choices usually turn out to be shite :D

Back