Stocks n Shares ISA

Best way of setting one of these up?

Good place to start How To Invest In Stocks: A Beginner's Guide For Getting Started - The Motley Fool UK

Your own bank should offer an investment account or you can go to companies such as

If you are a beginner, make sure it is an ISA to maximise tax benefits.

Decide how much you can afford to put in each month, set up a standing order then let it grow for the next 20-30 years.

I’ve no idea what I’m doing but if the Sunday Times tipster recommends something I buy. Better than me picking random names.

Buying small amounts of individual shares isn't economical as you lose a lot of money immediately on the purchase fees and stamp duty and then have to pay again when you sell. Funds are usually free to buy and sell and you are spreading your risk across hundreds of businesses.

Best way of setting one of these up?

If I didn't know much about individual stocks, and didn't want to spend a lot of time thinking about it.

Then I'd go with a Hargreaves Lansdown ISA and invest in the Vanguard Developed World fund. Regular sums each month/quarter/whenever.

(I'm not a financial advisor mind, but that's what I'd do in those circumstances)

If I didn't know much about individual stocks, and didn't want to spend a lot of time thinking about it.

Then I'd go with a Hargreaves Lansdown ISA and invest in the Vanguard Developed World fund. Regular sums each month/quarter/whenever.

(I'm not a financial advisor mind, but that's what I'd do in those circumstances)

But if you're going to just invest in a vanguard fund, then would it not be better to just use vanguards own platform? I think you might be paying higher fees with H&L than with vanguard

But if you're going to just invest in a vanguard fund, then would it not be better to just use vanguards own platform? I think you might be paying higher fees with H&L than with vanguard

Aye, to be fair, possibly. Would need to look at the fees.

HL mobile app is pretty good though and offers other options for funds and accounts (LISA for example) which may become more relevant as you get more into it.

Aye, to be fair, possibly. Would need to look at the fees.

HL mobile app is pretty good though and offers other options for funds and accounts (LISA for example) which may become more relevant as you get more into it.
Yes, HL are more expensive but they offer more options and have an easier to use web site and mobile app. Vanguard are fine if you want to keep things simple.

Fund has entered the red for the first time in 3 years (net it's been in the red a while with fees etc.)...time to get our hold the nerve?
No point getting out now

Missed that boat. Mines down about 20% from October.
Since I started investing a few years ago, I've had brexit, a world wide pandemic, and now a war in Europe.
It's been a tricky time!
The problem now is its so volatile and decisions could be made that improve the stock market 10% in one day.

No point getting out now

Missed that boat. Mines down about 20% from October.
Since I started investing a few years ago, I've had brexit, a world wide pandemic, and now a war in Europe.
It's been a tricky time!
The problem now is its so volatile and decisions could be made that improve the stock market 10% in one day.

Yep three big financial shocks in 6 years and only one was self-inflicted.

I get my annual bonus paid at the end of March. If the markets are still low by then I'd be tempted to drop most of it into my S&S ISA, leaving some to have a bit of fun with. No point in adding to a cash ISA at 0.05%. That's £5 interest per ten grand,

I'm down a hefty amount in the past 3 weeks. Rode the January wave really well, but my insurance companies and funds have taken a right dicking. Been a great opportunity to load up on a few of the insurers before they pay out what is now after 20-30% decline in a week, 8%+ dividends.

Being long thales and shorting BA has helped mitigate things. I'm also fully hedged against some of my bigger US holdings, so the direction up or down doesn't matter until they settle down at a more fair price. I find it's always good to keep a certain % of cash in your accounts in order to average down when a decent opportunity presents itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fund has entered the red for the first time in 3 years (net it's been in the red a while with fees etc.)...time to get our hold the nerve?

Depends on your time of life and plan really. All my investments are with the next 20-30 years in mind so I’m not even thinking about it.

If you’re planning on retiring in the next few years and that money is crucial to you then you might think differently.

To make £££ you need:

Money
Time
Discipline

If the fund is doing what it’s meant to be doing then why sell at a loss?

What timeframe are you investing over?

True mate, just not a small amount so a bit twitchy. Looking to hold onto it for 5 years more at least.

I would depending on how close to retirement you are, you need to reconsider the composition of the portfolio and the risk it presents. If you're not close to retirement, don't worry and keep contributing imo. This hasn't been too bad of a dip compared to what we've seen several times over the past 22 years.

Back