State of Cricket - report from DT & Tim Bostok on 2024

See thats where we difffent mate I don’t hate anyone.

In fact as far as Newcastle fans are concerned I actually respect them for supporting their local club, and cannot understand any decent person hating them for that?

All someone from say Wallsend is doing supporting Newcastle is supporting their local club so why would you hate them.

That what is decent and objective not hating fans for simply supporting their local club.

Oh for fuck sake man.

I was referring to the club you tatie. The black and white shirts on the field. It’s them I hate man. Not some knacker from Wallsend who supports his local club :rolleyes:

It is my honest opinion that FTECB’s prime intention is to make money. They value that over the game’s longevity, anything that occurs as a byproduct of them making money is a bonus to them. I have come to that view because of the evidence I’ve seen this past decade or so - until they change their tact, I won’t be changing that view.

Well that’s fair enough and is is your opinion, but my opinion is diffrent and just wanted to put that across, but the debate seems to have gone out of context, which of course I am equally responsible for.

Alright fair enough I stand corrected, some Durham fans are not objective imo, the ones calling them FTECB![/QUOTE]

Ah right aye, nicely clarified - so just everyone who supports Durham who posts on the cricket forum then :rolleyes:

Seriously, just put the spade down.

Oh for fuck sake man.

I was referring to the club you tatie. The black and white shirts on the field. It’s them I hate man. Not some knacker from Wallsend who supports his local club :rolleyes:

Well that’s fair enough and is is your opinion, but my opinion is diffrent and just wanted to put that across, but the debate seems to have gone out of context, which of course I am equally responsible for.

Alright fair enough I stand corrected, some Durham fans are not objective imo, the ones calling them FTECB!

Ah right aye, nicely clarified - so just everyone who supports Durham who posts on the cricket forum then :rolleyes:

Seriously, just put the spade down.[/QUOTE]

Whether you believe it or not mate I am just trying to be fair all round and put my genuine view across.

That is lost on me

You’re taking the whole hating thing far too literally pal.

Every lads fan I know says FTM and stands up when ‘Stand up if you hate the mags’ is sung. You don’t need to be all holier than thou about it by chirping on about the fact you don’t hate anyone and that hate is such a strong word.

Look, I really don’t f***ing like them, I want them to lose every single game they ever play, I want their reserves to lose, I want their junior teams to lose and if they ever play a game of cricket against a FTECB Select XI I hope they both lose.

If you’re a lads fan I’m sure you can understand that.

You’re taking the whole hating thing far too literally pal.

Every lads fan I know says FTM and stands up when ‘Stand up if you hate the mags’ is sung. You don’t need to be all holier than thou about it by chirping on about the fact you don’t hate anyone and that hate is such a strong word.

Look, I really don’t f***ing like them, I want them to lose every single game they ever play, I want their reserves to lose, I want their junior teams to lose and if they ever play a game of cricket against a FTECB Select XI I hope they both lose.

If you’re a lads fan I’m sure you can understand that.

Of course I understand where you coming from with this one, and of course the majority,( high majority) will agree with you.

But I honestly see it differently I really do.

Firstly I have played sport all my life both cricket and football, so on a Saturday not been to many matches, therefore I will be the first to admit I am not the biggest fan in the world, so although a fan I mostly care about my own club, don’t really care about how others clubs are doing including Newcastle,unless them clubs are in and around us in the league then I want them to drop points for us to progress up the league.

Secondly I respect Newcastle fans more than say London people supporting Man United.

I do just see them as another club up the road I really do, but totally accept most fans don’t!

That is my genuine opinion mate.

Don’t want to fall out, there is no doubt you are a massive fan of Durham and cricket, I just happen to disagree with some of your views on it, nothing personal :D

Last edited:
Of course I understand where you coming from with this one, and of course the majority,( high majority) will agree with you.

But I honestly see it differently I really do.

Firstly I have played sport all my life both cricket and football, so on a Saturday not been to many matches, so although a fan mostly care about my own club, don’t really care about how others clubs are doing including Newcastle,unless them clubs are in and around us in the league then I want them to drop points for us to progress up the league.

Secondly I respect Newcastle fans more than say London people supporting Man United.

I do just see them as another club up the road I really do, but totally accept most fans don’t!

That is my genuine opinion mate.

Don’t want to fall out, there is no doubt you are a massive fan of Durham and cricket, I just happen to disagree with some of your views on it, nothing personal :D

Aye, it’s been a canny debate man - better than watching the soaps anyway marra.

Out of interest, does county cricket not particularly interest you? For you not to support Durham?

Or are you just more keen on international cricket?

Aye, it’s been a canny debate man - better than watching the soaps anyway marra.

Out of interest, does county cricket not particularly interest you? For you not to support Durham?

Or are you just more keen on international cricket?

I always have a bet on it, and over recent years have bet on Somerset at some canny prices as well only to fall short on the last game a couple of times

I do agree the county championship does not get enough coverage, I think it’s a disgrace that a national sports station like talksport does not give hourly updates on the scores for people out and about driving, that station might as well be called talk football, I hate that station:D

Not really support anyone, although would like to see Somerset do well, as they always seem to bring some good younger players though.

I have always respected Trescothick too and woukd like to see him win it before he retires.

I always have a bet on it, and over recent years have bet on Somerset at some canny prices as well only to fall short on the last game a couple of times

I do agree the county championship does not get enough coverage, I think it’s a disgrace that a national sports station like talksport does not give hourly updates on the scores for people out and about driving, that station might as well be called talk football, I hate that station:D

Not really support anyone, although would like to see Somerset do well, as they always seem to bring some good younger players though.

I have always respected Trescothick too and woukd like to see him win it before he retires.

Fair enough - are you local to Somerset like or just an admirer from afar?

Bostock, at the final forum of last season , said he didn't expect Durham to have to repay their loan. It's kept low profile likely because ECB won't admit that there was clearly contradiction between Durham's and Glamorgan 's treatment. They clearly had their knuckles tapped about their autocratic manner of going about things and have been forced to run in a democratic manner. Hence the move to consider compensation for clubs having players poached. It's becoming clear though that old habits will die hard with Graves. His attempt to discipline Surrey over their objection to the Hudred was quickly squashed by the other directors. Perhaps it should have been more FCG than FETCB . Thankfully, I can't see him being re-elected next year

Graves (via All-Stars and the new TV contract) is the first ECB man in 20 years to try and expand cricket's audience rather than just wring every last quid out of the existing one.

I think we'll see his benefit in 15 years in the same way that we're seeing the disaster of Clarke's rule now.

The contraction of the County Championship will happpen regardless imo as the people who enjoy it are slowly dying off.

Graves (via All-Stars and the new TV contract) is the first ECB man in 20 years to try and expand cricket's audience rather than just wring every last quid out of the existing one.

I think we'll see his benefit in 15 years in the same way that we're seeing the disaster of Clarke's rule now.

The contraction of the County Championship will happpen regardless imo as the people who enjoy it are slowly dying off.
There's a domestic competition known as T20 introduced circa 2003 the brainchild of Stuart Robinson ECB marketing manager as a response to dwindling attendances in the CC. T20 Attendances have grown year on year. ECB had reserves of £73 when Graves took office and that has almost totally disappeared.
Thanks for reminding of my mortality- are you the grim reaper?

Last edited:
There's a domestic competition known as T20 introduced circa 2007, the brainchild of Stuart Robinson ECB marketing manager as a response to dwindling attendances in the CC. T20 Attendances have grown year on year. ECB had reserves of £73 when Graves took office and that has almost totally disappeared.
Thanks for reminding of my mortality- are you the grim reaper?

It's true though. How many people under the age of 35 watch county cricket (let's keep it fair by saying when it's on on a weekend)?

How many under 35s could name the CC winners last year? I'll go with 1% of the population.

Btw the reserves are always cyclical and reach a low just before the Ashes. That stat won't be used to beat him with in a year's time.

It's true though. How many people under the age of 35 watch county cricket (let's keep it fair by saying when it's on on a weekend)?

How many under 35s could name the CC winners last year? I'll go with 1% of the population.

Btw the reserves are always cyclical and reach a low just before the Ashes. That stat won't be used to beat him with in a year's time.
If course it's true, T20 was introduced to counteract that. It's also true that reserves are cyclical but Graves has overseen a full cycle as chairman and they ' ve dwindled from £73m in that cycle.

If course it's true, T20 was introduced to counteract that. It's also true that reserves are cyclical but Graves has overseen a full cycle as chairman and they ' ve dwindled from £73m in that cycle.

It was introduced in 2003 and like you I think it's far better than the 100.

I think their intentions are right though.

Crowds may be up but its on an incredibly low base. 2000 at Derby and 3500 at Glamorgan are shite though for a supposedly major sport. Good on the 'new' ECB for trying to widen that supporter base imo even if they're doing it in a risky way.

It was introduced in 2003 and like you I think it's far better than the 100.

I think their intentions are right though.

Crowds may be up but its on an incredibly low base. 2000 at Derby and 3500 at Glamorgan are shite though for a supposedly major sport. Good on the 'new' ECB for trying to widen that supporter base imo even if they're doing it in a risky way.
It's how big a risk that's the worry - committing to it without any market research to find if this mythical new audience actually exists. Youngsters participation and interest in all sports is dwindling and ECB are to be commended with their efforts to arrest this with the Chance to Shine initiative. That began, however, long before Graves' tenure. My gripe is with his autocratic and impulsive manner. Clearly we have apposite views on the merits of him - I have no problem with that.

Back