State of Cricket - report from DT & Tim Bostok on 2024

Never. You reckon they'd just sack the Ashes off then?

It'll still be played by most nations in 50 years imo.

I hope you are right but test cricket, with the exception of the Ashes has been undervalued for years now as a result of a crammed calendar and nonsensical scheduling.

Too many pointless 2 and 3 test series getting played for the sake of it, some countries playing up to 15 tests a calendar year. IMO, England should be playing either one 5 match series a summer or two three test series. Play each nation at home once every 4 years and repeat for away tours. Have a 3-5 match ODI series and scrap T20 internationals altogether.

The international calendar has been a farce for years and is as much the reason for test cricket losing spectators. There's simply too much cricket played and as this format lasts the longest and requires patience (and is also scheduled whilst most are at work), the shorter formats of the game have been more attractive and convenient.

Youngsters not taking up a game is not just confined to cricket- there's no organised football in schools. Society evolves and all sport has to evolve with it. T20 is cricket evolving and support for it is growing year on year and spectators supporting it are generally a new younger generation so why compete against it with a new venture which there has been no market research to indicate that there is a demand for it. An independent body ruled that ECB act as an autocratic body which does not consult it's members. Sanctions imposed on Durham were made by people who had a financial interest in Durham's demise i.e. chairman who were competing with Durham for staging test matches with it's financial benefits. Durham have been treated entirely differently to both Glamorgan and more recently Leicester. So tell me, why shouldn't ECB be referred to in contentious terms?
I think, there' have been hints of it that … ECB changed the term of the bail out after all the kerfuffle and after the Glamorgan situation came to light. I think the bail out load the ECB gave initially was change to a grant, similar to Glams.

No one has said anything outright I assume because of the confidentiality agreement but if you notice Durham have been more confident recently in saying the financials are under control and they've certainly been opened the wallet in the last year.

Don't thank the ECB, it clear they didn't wan tot do it.

I think, there' have been hints of it that … ECB changed the term of the bail out after all the kerfuffle and after the Glamorgan situation came to light. I think the bail out load the ECB gave initially was change to a grant, similar to Glams.

No one has said anything outright I assume because of the confidentiality agreement but if you notice Durham have been more confident recently in saying the financials are under control and they've certainly been opened the wallet in the last year.

Don't thank the ECB, it clear they didn't wan tot do it.
Bostock, at the final forum of last season , said he didn't expect Durham to have to repay their loan. It's kept low profile likely because ECB won't admit that there was clearly contradiction between Durham's and Glamorgan 's treatment. They clearly had their knuckles tapped about their autocratic manner of going about things and have been forced to run in a democratic manner. Hence the move to consider compensation for clubs having players poached. It's becoming clear though that old habits will die hard with Graves. His attempt to discipline Surrey over their objection to the Hudred was quickly squashed by the other directors. Perhaps it should have been more FCG than FETCB . Thankfully, I can't see him being re-elected next year

This is not meant as a attack, but imo you not objective in the slightest with the ECB and are waiting to dismantle any idea they have at the earliest opportunity.

You are incorrect I’m afraid, I praised them for their scheduling and structure of this years domestic fixtures.

Just because I think The Hundred is a dogshit idea, doesn’t mean I’m not objective. Like I said earlier, if they do something worthy of praise, I’ll praise them.

I’m in the majority when it comes to thinking their ideas for the new competition is f***ing bobbins though. Does that make the majority incapable of being objective in your opinion too?

You are incorrect I’m afraid, I praised them for their scheduling and structure of this years domestic fixtures.

Just because I think The Hundred is a dogshit idea, doesn’t mean I’m not objective. Like I said earlier, if they do something worthy of praise, I’ll praise them.

I’m in the majority when it comes to thinking their ideas for the new competition is f***ing bobbins though. Does that make the majority incapable of being objective in your opinion too?

With all respect mate you thougt T20 was hit and giggle and not proper cricket and look how thats turned out.

Now are you saying T20 is good and should be left alone?

I have only based my opinion of your posts on here and to be fair,you of course know whether you are objective as they yourviews.

So I probably should not of said that.

But that is how your views regarding the ECB have come across on here.

And the calling them FTECB doesn't exactly create and support a objective view!

Last edited:
With all respect mate you thougt T20 was hit and giggle and not proper cricket and look how thats turned out.

Now are you saying T20 is good and should be left alone?

I have only based my opinion of your posts on here and to be fair,you of course know whether you are objective as they yourviews.

So I probably should not of said that.

But that is how your views regarding the ECB have come across on here.

And the calling them FTECB doesn't exactly create and support a objective view!

You’ve based your opinion on only a handful of my posts - you avoided the ones where I’ve praised the governing body - now who’s not being objective ;)

Where did I say T20 was good and should be left alone?

Seems like this is personal after all, you’ve gone from one attempt to smear me, to something else - why the clamour to score a hit on me?

As for FTECB - I’m not the only one, you probably wouldn’t understand because you don’t support Durham but I think actual Durham fans feel perfectly justified in calling them it based on their treatment of us.

You’ve based your opinion on only a handful of my posts - you avoided the ones where I’ve praised the governing body - now who’s not being objective ;)

Where did I say T20 was good and should be left alone?

Seems like this is personal after all, you’ve gone from one attempt to smear me, to something else - why the clamour to score a hit on me?

As for FTECB - I’m not the only one, you probably wouldn’t understand because you don’t support Durham but I think actual Durham fans feel perfectly justified in calling them it based on their treatment of us.

I don’t want to turn this into a slagging match and it’s not personal and it’s not about scoring anything.

It’s just about having a opinion and a debate on a cricket form where opinions are put across.

The point I was trying to put across about T20 was that it was a new idea that imo has turned out to be a massive success.

And plenty criticised that new idea and new format including you if my memory serves my right, so maybe the hundred may prove a success on the basis that T20 was a new idea and turned out to be a success, soo maybe that will too

I didnt say you did say T20 was good and should be left alone, I was asking you a question asking are you now saying that,

Are you really saying you don’t criticise the ECB a lot and your views and opinions on them are balanced, while at the same time calling them FTECB.

I am not smearing you in anyway, but can’t agree anybody including others on this board can call a organisation with ‘Fuck The’

Last edited:
Are you really saying you don’t criticise the ECB a lot and your views and opinions on them are balanced, while at the same time calling them FTECB.

Putting words in my mouth again - no, I’m not saying I don’t criticise FTECB a lot. I didn’t say anything like that. What I said was if they do something shit I will criticise them, if they do something good I will praise them.

I think you’ll find that historically I’ve actually been pretty consistent. As I said earlier, twice now, I praised their structuring of this years county season. You seem to have missed that.

I am not smearing you in anyway, but can’t agree anybody including others on this board can call a organisation with ‘Fuck The’

You can’t agree with it? Well perhaps this place isn’t for you, because most people tend to use it I’ve found.

Why don’t you take it up with everyone else?

This region has a proud heritage of standing up for the downtrodden and those persecuted and unfairly dealt with - I’m quite proud that we seem to have continued that. If you aren’t keen, why don’t you start a thread asking people to stop? Or failing that - stick everyone who uses it on ignore. It’ll be a Lonely forum for you though.

Last edited:
Putting words in my mouth again - no, I’m not saying I don’t criticise FTECB a lot. I didn’t say anything like that. What I said was if they do something shit I will criticise them, if they do something good I will praise them.

I think you’ll find that historically I’ve actually been pretty consistent. As I said earlier, twice now, I praised their structuring of this years county season. You seem to have missed that.

And you don’t see how anybody putting ‘Fuck the’ before their name would suggest a less than objective view?

I don’t want to turn this into a slagging match and it’s not personal and it’s not about scoring anything.

It’s just about having a opinion and a debate on a cricket form where opinions are put across.

The point I was trying to put across about T20 was that it was a new idea that imo has turned out to be a massive success.

And plenty criticised that new idea and new format including you if my memory serves my right, so maybe the hundred may prove a success on the basis that T20 was a new idea and turned out to be a success, soo maybe that will too

I didnt say you did say T20 was good and should be left alone, I was asking you a question asking are you now saying that,

Just like to point out …. FTECB came about because of it's treatment of Durham. Now used when ever the *ECB are mentioned.

You can’t agree with it? Well perhaps this place isn’t for you, because most people tend to use it I’ve found.

Why don’t you take it up with everyone else?

This region has a proud heritage of standing up for the downtrodden and those persecuted and unfairly dealt with - I’m quite proud that we seem to have continued that. If you aren’t keen, why don’t you start a thread asking people to stop? Or failing that - stick everyone who uses it on ignore. It’ll be a Lonely forum for you though.

Hway that’s totally out of context, and disappointing to be honest that you trying to compare just a game cricket.

With a much more important point of a region standing up for the downtrodden and those persecuted.

They not comparable in the slightest!

And this debate which was meant to be a fair exchange of views about cricket and what is best for the lonegivity of the game seems to be now taking a route of having a go at each other.

Which is not a route I want to go down.

I think the ECB want to have more participation for the longevity of the game, it appears ( don’t want to put words into your mouth) that you think their could not give a shit about that and it’s just about the money.

I think we should agree to disagree on that point, rather than trying take it out of all context and trying to compare it with some North East against the world argument.

And you don’t see how anybody putting ‘Fuck the’ before their name would suggest a less than objective view?

I say FTM and I f***ing hate them, but I’m still grown up enough to say they've played well (albeit through gritted teeth) if they have done. Like when they beat Man City.

That is called being objective. Just like I am with FTECB.

Just like to point out …. FTECB came about because of it's treatment of Durham. Now used when ever the *ECB are mentioned.

He knows that, he’s been told countless times, but he doesn’t support Durham so he wouldn’t understand.

Mind to be fair to the Yorkie/Derby/Surrey lads on here, they don’t support Durham but they still understand. Decent lads see ;)

Last edited:

Yeah I am aware of that mate, but because of their treatment of Durham.

I believe Durham fans are now not objective of the ECB’s future ideas about the game.

Probably understandably soo, as the treatment was very harsh, but nevertheless I believe that to be true.

And if someone/ anyone is calling them FTECB surely that suggests a less objective view.

I say FTM and I f***ing hate them, but I’m still grown up enough to say they've played well (albeit through gritted teeth) if they have done. Like when they beat Man City.

That is called being objective. Just like I am with FTECB.

He knows that, he’s been told countless times, but he doesn’t support Durham so he wouldn’t understand.

Mind to be fair to the Yorkie/Derby/Surrey lads on here, they don’t support Durham but they still understand. Decent lads see ;)

See thats where we difffent mate I don’t hate anyone.

In fact as far as Newcastle fans are concerned I actually respect them for supporting their local club, and cannot understand any decent person hating them for that?

All someone from say Wallsend is doing supporting Newcastle is supporting their local club so why would you hate them.

That what is decent and objective not hating fans for simply supporting their local club.

Last edited:
Hway that’s totally out of context, and disappointing to be honest that you trying to compare just a game cricket.

With a much more important point of a region standing up for the downtrodden and those persecuted.

They not comparable in the slightest!

Depends who you’re talking to though doesn’t it? To a lot of people, cricket and particularly Durham is a part of life - FTECB played their part in nearly putting the club out of business - there’s lads on here who barely miss a home game every season, how would they cope if there was no club to go to? All of a sudden it’s a hell of a lot more important.

They won’t be comparable to you because you don’t support Durham so you wouldn’t understand how it would feel if all of a sudden we didn’t exist.

[/QUOTE]

I think the ECB want to have more participation for the longevity of the game, it appears ( don’t want to put words into your mouth) that you think their could not give a shit about that and it’s just about the money.

I think we should agree to disagree on that point, rather than trying take it out of all context and trying to compare it with some North East against the world argument.

It is my honest opinion that FTECB’s prime intention is to make money. They value that over the game’s longevity, anything that occurs as a byproduct of them making money is a bonus to them. I have come to that view because of the evidence I’ve seen this past decade or so - until they change their tact, I won’t be changing that view.

Last edited:
Depends who you’re talking to though doesn’t it? To a lot of people, cricket and particularly Durham is a part of life - FTECB played their part in nearly putting the club out of business - there’s lads on here who barely miss a home game every season, how would they cope if there was no club to go to? All of a sudden it’s a hell of a lot more important.

They won’t be comparable to you because you don’t support Durham so you wouldn’t understand how it would feel if all of a sudden we didn’t exist.
[/QUOTE]

Maybe it’s just me but I don’t f***ing hate the mags, they just football supporters of their local club, I don’t hate the ECB either, as it’s just sport and needs to be put into context, in fact I don’t hate anybody, apart from maybe my ex-lass!

Yeah I am aware of that mate, but because of their treatment of Durham.

I believe Durham fans are now not objective of the ECB’s future ideas about the game.

Probably understandably soo, as the treatment was very harsh, but nevertheless I believe that to be true.

And if someone/ anyone is calling them FTECB surely that suggests a less objective view.

Wow, that’s one hell of a sweeping generalisation about Durham fans. Pretty damning of us actually.

So much for being The Voice of Fair Play :eek::oops:

It is my honest opinion that FTECB’s prime intention is to make money. They value that over the game’s longevity, anything that occurs as a byproduct of them making money is a bonus to them. I have come to that view because of the evidence I’ve seen this past decade or so - until they change their tact, I won’t be changing that view.[/QUOTE]

Well that’s fair enough and is is your opinion, but my opinion is diffrent and just wanted to put that across, but the debate seems to have gone out of context, which of course I am equally responsible for.

Wow, that’s one hell of a sweeping generalisation about Durham fans. Pretty damning of us actually.

So much for being The Voice of Fair Play :eek::oops:

Alright fair enough I stand corrected, some Durham fans are not objective imo, the ones calling them FTECB!

Last edited:

Back