State of Cricket - report from DT & Tim Bostok on 2024

It's how big a risk that's the worry - committing to it without any market research to find if this mythical new audience actually exists. Youngsters participation and interest in all sports is dwindling and ECB are to be commended with their efforts to arrest this with the Chance to Shine initiative. That began, however, long before Graves' tenure. My gripe is with his autocratic and impulsive manner. Clearly we have apposite views on the merits of him - I have no problem with that.

No, I think I probably share your view of him as a human.

But the thing about a 'mythical' new audience annoys me. 9.5 million watched the 2005 Ashes, there is no myth. It's a great game and it can get people interested when it's available to them.

We keep hearing that live TV is dead but things like Murray Wimbledon finals, last year's WC etc prove that wrong. I think the Hundred will eventually provide big moments even if it's a poor bastardisation of cricket.

Know what he's saying though. Unless it's school holidays, particularly at Scarborough, I'm usually the youngest in the stands by some distance

Indeed, but that’s predominantly down to the times the fixtures are played rather than there being no interest from anyone younger than 60.

The listener figures and clicks on BBC cricket pages - not to mention viewers to the various steaming platforms that are now cropping up - to me prove there is vast interest in Championship cricket - it just isn’t particularly accessible to those who are either in education or have a job.

Last edited:
I would like to think cricket is still second only to football in the sport that interests this country.

Therefore any marketing or new ideas or new formats to get that interest going or increasing is worth a try in my book.

Indeed, but that’s predominantly down to the times the fixtures are played rather than there being no interest from anyone younger than 60.

The listener figures and clicks on BBC cricket pages - not to mention viewers to the various steaming platforms that are now cropping up - to me prove there is vast interest in Championship cricket - it just isn’t particularly accessible to those who are either in education or have a job.
Aye there aren't many other sad bastards who use their annual leave to go to Nottingham and sit in the cold for 7 hours in early April :lol:

Back