State of Cricket - report from DT & Tim Bostok on 2024

Bri

Striker
Special report on state of the game: Counties fear they may not be playing Championship cricket in 10 years time

Nick Hoult, Cricket News Correspondent
1 April 2019 • 5:24pm
Follow

The first in a series of special reports on the domestic game reveals concerns for the four-day format...
Over a third of county chief executives fear not all 18 clubs will still be playing Championship cricket in 10 years’ time.
The revelation came from an exclusive Telegraph Sport survey delivered to every county before the start of the new domestic season, the last before the launch of the controversial Hundred competition.

With the game facing such fundamental change, questionnaires were sent to all 18 county chief executives, with all but one responding in full. Other key findings included:
Almost unanimous agreement that the Championship has been marginalised in favour of white-ball cricket.
Widespread support for the Hundred, despite the squeeze it will place on the red-ball game.
A majority insisting relegation should be retained from Division One and that relations with the England & Wales Cricket Board were good or above average
A bullish county game determined to make sure the Blast survives.

Chief executives were offered anonymity if it helped them to speak more freely and only one, Nottinghamshire, declined to take part.
Overall, there is widespread optimism about the future, with Test-match grounds hopeful of making the Hundred work, while smaller counties aim to prove their relevance by positioning themselves as homes for women’s international cricket and producers of England stars of the future.

Show more
For traditional supporters feeling marginalised by the rapid pace of change, however, it is fears over the future of the Championship that will strike a chord.
Of the 17 chief executives that responded, seven believe it unlikely the County Championship will continue to feature 18 teams as the game evolves over the next decade. There has never been a reduction in the number of counties featuring in the Championship since it was formally established in 1890.
But the growth of white-ball cricket, and the hand-to-mouth financial existence of some of the smaller counties, has clear dangers.

“I don’t think they will (be playing Championship cricket) to be honest," said one chief executive. "Not because decisions will be made at the top, but it is just the economic reality that some of the clubs are really struggling. All of us have challenges financially but some are not viable businesses financially and will really struggle.”
One county suggested some could move to a semi-professional basis, while another blamed the sheer amount of Championship cricket for putting its future in doubt. “I do fear the way things are going with the financial realities of cricket. We have to play what brings the biggest commercial return. We are trying to protect Championship cricket but the volume of it might conspire against it.”

Show more
Leicestershire are in talks with the ECB over help with a £1.3 million debt to be paid this year while a study published in the International Journal of Financial Studies in February concluded “clubs competing in the County Championship are failing to generate profits, expand the supporter base or grow commercial revenues with a better national and international profile.”
Durham’s Tim Bostock, who is leading the county out of a financial black hole, struck a more hopeful tone. “Yes. I would like to think they will (recover) but I’m not as confident as I would have been 10 years ago. Financials with some counties will inevitably cause a problem. There is no silver bullet. And if counties can’t add extra revenue like hotels there will be an inevitable squeeze.”

Others feel the £1.3m extra payout from the Hundred, guaranteed from 2020 to 2024, can secure their future across all formats. “There is enough money from the Hundred to make the game stronger and let counties build. There is a great desire from the counties and ECB to keep 18 counties alive and thriving,” said Middlesex’s Richard Goatley.

That £1.3m will be squeezed by a minimum wage of £27,500 to be introduced for all players aged over 21. A minimum salary budget of £750,000 will also be imposed and the ECB is demanding clubs upgrade medical care and academy facilities. “Some people think it is £1.3m profit, it is not,” said one county. Gloucestershire’s Will Brown said: “Over the last five years the ECB has been incredibly generous at giving counties money for certain things but that stops now, this new money is now our banker.”
Rob Andrew at Sussex believes the consultation over the Hundred was widespread and meaningful with the counties’ fears taken on board. “I’ve had experience of other sports and there are always going to be issues, and ups and downs. That is the nature of being a governing body and club. I think it’s a good relationship right now.”

But the relationship between board and counties remains volatile. “The ECB chairman (Colin Graves) shoots from the hip and runs the game in a very autocratic manner,” said one county. “His board and exec have failed to control him and a new face will be very welcome when his term comes to an end in 2020.”
Another county said: “Colin is an honest guy but not good at the politics. Frankly, most chairmen are looking at their own county rather than what is best for the game as a whole. It makes governing the sport very hard.”

The difficulty is applying business logic to 18 very different clubs. At the Oval, Richard Gould runs a county that has vastly different resources, for example, to Ryan Duckett, the new chief executive of Derbyshire.
Gould has a non-playing staff of 120 employees and a turnover of £35m; twice that of his closest rivals. “If you deduct television revenue then our turnover puts us on a par with a top 10 Premier League club in terms of tickets sold and non-match-day business,” he said.
Surrey have made little secret of their opposition to the Hundred and it culminated last month in Graves threatening to strip them of being a host venue after they voted against the formal endorsement of the competition.

“Our job will be to deliver sell-out crowds,” said Gould. “We do it for Surrey T20 and international cricket and it will be our responsibility to do that for the new tournament. We already are very good at delivering a new audience. On average, 65 per cent who come to our T20 games have never been to cricket before so hopefully the new competition will allow us to continue that but we have to make sure the existing supporters feel welcomed and so we are working hard with the ECB to make sure that happens.”
At Durham, Bostock is making changes. He hopes to build a hotel at the Riverside and feels there is renewed optimism in the north east after the ignominy of relegation and an ECB bailout three years ago.

Rehearsals for The Hundred took place at Trent Bridge in September 2018 Credit: pa
Bostock has moved back to the UK after working in banking in Australia and is surprised by the amount of potential in English cricket. “Numbers alone say cricket is a small business. But the profile of a county cricket club in the community and in the media makes it a high-profile business. I have worked at businesses with turnover in the billions but actually they not high profile, nobody really cares outside your own world. But people care about cricket so you have to think like big business while running a small business.”
We asked all counties where they see themselves five years from now. “I use the number 2024,” said Bostock. “It means: two trophies, zero debt, £2m in the bank and four new England players produced. It ticks all the boxes.”

And we also asked what threatens their survival. One simply answered: “The Hundred.” Others fear falling participation. “The lack of high-quality games at the height of summer and a failure to bring high-profile matches to the south west on a regular basis,” said Somerset’s Andrew Cornish.
“More people are starting to look at what is going to happen in 2020 when the new tournament starts,” adds Gould. “We need to continue to make sure there are no unintended consequences that could cause damage to either the county or international game. We need to make sure that all formats and teams have the ability to thrive and survive.”

Great article.

In summary, Graves is still a shitcunt, The Hundred will kill cricket and Surrey are rich as fuck.

Have you got the report from Day 2?

Last edited:
Great article.

In summary, Graves is still a shitcunt, The Hundred will kill cricket and Surrey are rich as fuck.

Have you got the report from Day 2?

As much as the hundred is not the best idea and can see why people are criticising it, its complete nonsense to say it will kill cricket.

The whole point of it is to drum up new interest and if it fails which it may possibly do, we will be back to the status quo.

The hundred will not kill cricket , but lack of new people taking up game may well do in time.

Last edited:
I enjoyed reading that. I don’t agree with a lot of those chairmen but Im relieved in a sense that they are backing the hundred (im not) as it makes me more optimistic it’ll be a success

The Hundred will not kill cricket but a hundred that crashes and burns will dick the game from top to bottom, right up the shitter

As much as the hundred is not the best idea and can see why people are criticising it, its complete nonsense to say it will kill cricket.

The whole point of it is to drum up new interest and if it fails which it may possibly do, we will be back to the status quo.

The hundred will not kill cricket , but lack of new people taking up game may well do in time.

I beg your pardon, I should’ve specified that I meant ‘Championship Cricket’ because that was what I’d taken from the content of the article.

As a generalisation however, surely you must agree with the sentiment? The Hundred is simply the latest shite idea from FTECB aimed at ‘improving’ cricket when all it is actually doing is attempting to reinvent the wheel - a wheel which would be improved with one of many slight tweaks with the current system.

Drastic change is not needed. I’d be interested to know how many cricket followers have actually fallen out of love with the game as a result of the radicalisation - it’s one thing to want a new audience, but don’t fuck off your loyal supporters in the process. Unfortunately we’ll never get those figures from FTECB, it won’t suit their agenda.

I enjoyed reading that. I don’t agree with a lot of those chairmen but Im relieved in a sense that they are backing the hundred (im not) as it makes me more optimistic it’ll be a success

The Hundred will not kill cricket but a hundred that crashes and burns will dick the game from top to bottom, right up the shitter

I’m very sceptical to be honest, I just read it as being lip service.

Last edited:
I beg your pardon, I should’ve specified that I meant ‘Championship Cricket’ because that was what I’d taken from the content of the article.

As a generalisation however, surely you must agree with the sentiment? The Hundred is simply the latest shite idea from FTECB aimed at ‘improving’ cricket when all it is actually doing is attempting to reinvent the wheel - a wheel which would be improved with one of many slight tweaks with the current system.

Drastic change is not needed. I’d be interested to know how many cricket followers have actually fallen out of love with the game as a result of the radicalisation - it’s one thing to want a new audience, but don’t fuck off your loyal supporters in the process. Unfortunately we’ll never get those figures from FTECB, it won’t suit their agenda.

Im massively sceptical too. I had always assumed that the counties were more anti The Hundred than that shows

Which ever way or angle you want to put on it, people taking up the game at a young age is dwindling big style.

Calling the ECB, FTECB is just proof of the clear agenda you have against them clouding the bigger picture which is we need more people participating in cricket

Increased take up of cricket at a young age is vital for the longevity of the game, and the ECB are trying to achieve that.

I am surprised somebody who is clearly a massive fan of the game and loves the game as much as you has not got the longevity of the game as more important than petty constant criticism of the ECB.

Traditional and loyal supporters are not enough to keep the game going for the long term.

We need to be innovative to get new fans and players into the game.

The hundred may not achieve that but it’s certainly worth a try.

Last edited:
Cricket season starts on friday.

8 Sky Sports channels (9 if you include SSN) and none of them have live sport on during the day tomorrow and only one has any on friday, and that's some rugby 7s.

Hand over the CC for a nominal fee for a couple of seasons, see what happens.

Which ever way or angle you want to put on it, people taking up the game at a young age is dwindling big style.

Calling the ECB, FTECB is just proof of the clear agenda you have against them clouding the bigger picture which is we need more people participating in cricket

Increased take up of cricket at a young age is vital for the longevity of the game, and the ECB are trying to achieve that.

I am surprised somebody who is clearly a massive fan of the game and loves the game as much as you has not got the longevity of the game as more important than petty constant criticism of the ECB.

Traditional and loyal supporters are not enough to keep the game going for the long term.

Youngsters not taking up a game is not just confined to cricket- there's no organised football in schools. Society evolves and all sport has to evolve with it. T20 is cricket evolving and support for it is growing year on year and spectators supporting it are generally a new younger generation so why compete against it with a new venture which there has been no market research to indicate that there is a demand for it. An independent body ruled that ECB act as an autocratic body which does not consult it's members. Sanctions imposed on Durham were made by people who had a financial interest in Durham's demise i.e. chairman who were competing with Durham for staging test matches with it's financial benefits. Durham have been treated entirely differently to both Glamorgan and more recently Leicester. So tell me, why shouldn't ECB be referred to in contentious terms?

I’ll continue to call FTECB the way I do because quite frankly, they are not fit to run a f***ing bath. The minute they start to actually improve cricket, I’ll praise them for it. Unfortunately with this issue they’re in no man’s land.

I don’t appreciate the personal attack either, but going off their track record I feel I have a very meaningful and fully justified grievance. Fortunately for me Parkside has so eloquently dismantled your defence of FTECB so I don’t have to go into too much detail as to the reasons for that, if you haven't picked it up now you never will.

Everything he says, is how I feel - you should especially take heed in the part where he notes that most sports are suffering from a drop in participation. Simply put, it is a generational and social issue.

Regarding the longevity of the game, I absolutely have that at heart, but you see that is where I and FTECB differ - because their recent history suggests that all they care about is the bottom line. If they can continue to make vast amounts of money I doubt they give a shite how many people are playing and watching cricket.

I’m interested as to why you seem so keen to defend them though, are you a Durham supporter? The way they’ve shafted us is akin to how Thatcher shafted the miners. Wasn’t done for the good or the integrity of the game whatsoever, merely done to allow other counties to have an easier ride.

Financially it does.

Not in my view it doesn’t. Are you saying The Hundred is only worth £1.3 million to the franchises? Did you not read the bit about Surrey’s revenue?

Last edited:
Cricket season starts on friday.

8 Sky Sports channels (9 if you include SSN) and none of them have live sport on during the day tomorrow and only one has any on friday, and that's some rugby 7s.

Hand over the CC for a nominal fee for a couple of seasons, see what happens.
Absolute joke that. Always has been. What other major sport would have next to no live TV coverage of its "premier" domestic competition all season. None that's what.

Not sure if I'm having a pop at the ECB or Sky so I'm going to say both.

Absolute joke that. Always has been. What other major sport would have next to no live TV coverage of its "premier" domestic competition all season. None that's what.

Not sure if I'm having a pop at the ECB or Sky so I'm going to say both.

It's very costly to screen live cricket and I've no doubt the viewing figures will be very low.

They've had enough years with the rights to know whether it's worth showing the four dayers and it mustn't be.

I’ll continue to call FTECB the way I do because quite frankly, they are not fit to run a f***ing bath. The minute they start to actually improve cricket, I’ll praise them for it. Unfortunately with this issue they’re in no man’s land.

I don’t appreciate the personal attack either, but going off their track record I feel I have a very meaningful and fully justified grievance. Fortunately for me Parkside has so eloquently dismantled your defence of FTECB so I don’t have to go into too much detail as to the reasons for that, if you haven't picked it up now you never will.

Everything he says, is how I feel - you should especially take heed in the part where he notes that most sports are suffering from a drop in participation. Simply put, it is a generational and social issue.

Regarding the longevity of the game, I absolutely have that at heart, but you see that is where I and FTECB differ - because their recent history suggests that all they care about is the bottom line. If they can continue to make vast amounts of money I doubt they give a shite how many people are playing and watching cricket.

I’m interested as to why you seem so keen to defend them though, are you a Durham supporter? The way they’ve shafted us is akin to how Thatcher shafted the miners. Wasn’t done for the good or the integrity of the game whatsoever, merely done to allow other counties to have an easier ride.

Not in my view it doesn’t. Are you saying The Hundred is only worth £1.3 million to the franchises? Did you not read the bit about Surrey’s revenue?

Not meant for any personal attack mate, and if it come across that way I apologise.

I am more concerned about the longevity of the game than Durham tbh.

Am a Durham supporter? not really.

The very fact most sports are dropping in participation means more action not less is needed to bring more people playing cricket.

This is not meant as a attack, but imo you not objective in the slightest with the ECB and are waiting to dismantle any idea they have at the earliest opportunity.

Youngsters not taking up a game is not just confined to cricket- there's no organised football in schools. Society evolves and all sport has to evolve with it. T20 is cricket evolving and support for it is growing year on year and spectators supporting it are generally a new younger generation so why compete against it with a new venture which there has been no market research to indicate that there is a demand for it. An independent body ruled that ECB act as an autocratic body which does not consult it's members. Sanctions imposed on Durham were made by people who had a financial interest in Durham's demise i.e. chairman who were competing with Durham for staging test matches with it's financial benefits. Durham have been treated entirely differently to both Glamorgan and more recently Leicester. So tell me, why shouldn't ECB be referred to in contentious terms?

Exactly sport needs to evolve, and that’s exactly what they trying to do!

Just my opinion, but because what happened to Durham, admittedly a harsh punishment.

People are now anything but objective on any idea they have.

I find it interesting how a few years ago many posters ( not necessarily yourself) where calling T20 hit and giggle and pyjama cricket and saying it was not proper cricket.

However it took off really well and like you say support is growing for it year on year.

I do find it ironic now that people are praising it and saying why change it, when just a few years ago they were slating it!

Sometimes new ideas work as T20 has proved!

Maybe some people ( again not you) are too old fashioned and resistant to inevitable change, after all you a very right sport needs to evolve,

Last edited:

Back