Star Trek : Discovery

When you think about it, enterprise probably royally fucked up the 'What we know' TOS TNG timeline. For one thing the future president of the UFP knows all about the future:lol:

The way I see it is (and I know this isn't 'scientifically accurate' and you have to suspend your belief a bit) is that there's different universes and different timelines but those 2 are separate things.
Like in Yesterday's Enterprise (one of my all time faves btw) it's Prime universe.....but timeline was altered.
Maybe this is Prime but altered.....by the events of Enterprise.

But really Kelvin is Prime but timeline altered too when you think about it :rolleyes::lol: ffs all this timey wimey shite!:lol:

I'm just gonna watch it and hope it's not shite:p

Look, there are two words that you can use to put the whole timelines/universe argument in a box....

Multiverse Theory

You might even say that Next Gen scratched at it a bit in the Worf season seven episode "Parallels"

A lot of wooden acting on display so far.

I like Saru though.

They've clearly done a lot of work on the Klingons, but it was Starfleet where the work was required.

And humans can't do what she's just done. Established canon fact.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look, there are two words that you can use to put the whole timelines/universe argument in a box....

Multiverse Theory

You might even say that Next Gen scratched at it a bit in the Worf season seven episode "Parallels"
Well yes there's the multiverse, but I doubt they're going full Flash/Arrow style. It seems a bit daft to me if it's in neither Kelvin or prime.

I've watched the 1st and I wonder if.....

......this is the disastrous 1st contact with Klingons that Picard referred to that led to years of war. Yes, I know enterprise met the Klingons, and indeed fucked up their cranial ridges, but criticism of that (cannon wise) was that it didn't fit in with what Picard said.
However we do know war with Klingons is coming.

Then again could be nowt

Can't stand Count Bakula, and the bridge looks like a Kraftwerk gig. And no-one, and I mean NO-ONE, in the history of decent sci-fi has ever been called Malcolm.

yeah but trek has a history of actors called Malcolm being really good

there was Malcolm McDowell who was in Generations where they kille........oh, i see what you mean

I thought it was poor.

I couldn't understand a word that captain was saying, so much for universal translators. Why does Sonequa Martin-Green sound like she's from the ghetto (not all the time, but often) when she was meant to have been raised by Spock's dad on Vulcan? Oh aye, because she can't act, but it's all an exercise in diversity anyway and she's hot, so might as well just cast her.........

Maybe the actual case, mainly Jason Isaacs will be better, but I'm not buying in to her one bit. No idea what's going on with the Klingons looking like that either.

The plot was transparent as fuck too, blatantly obvious what was going to happen. It was like a pale imitation of Star Trek and adds nothing in comparison to everything else happening on tele now.

Watched the first two episodes, jury still out I am afraid. There's something missing that I cannot put my finger, but to me it lacks heart, does not feel like a Star Trek show, even Enterprise in its worst moments still had that heart I spoke of. Going to continue watching, but going to do a lot of teeth grinding!

Watched both and thought it was ok.

interested how they'll get Burnham out but hope they don't go down tom Paris route. Too easy to simply need an expert in this or that. I'm wondering if there'll be a time jump

Don't mind that the Klingons look different. Times cosmetics change. The borg changed loads but......i couldn't get away with their speech. They didn't sound Klingon. Plus some words didn't seem Klingon. It's a niggle but I'm sure they called sto-vo-kor something else. It appeared in subtitles but did they say a different word??

Can't get away with the holo chats. I appreciate they made it seem glitchy but it seemed to "kelvin" for me. They only perfected it in ds9.

The exterior of ships looked ok for pre TOS but interior....hmmmm

I'll watch it obvs.....interested to see where it goes.

Appreciate comments that some have said it doesn't seem to be 'star trek' but I suppose TOS and TNG were of their time.
Ds9 did get darker.
Maybe this is just of our time

Watched the first two episodes, jury still out I am afraid. There's something missing that I cannot put my finger, but to me it lacks heart, does not feel like a Star Trek show, even Enterprise in its worst moments still had that heart I spoke of. Going to continue watching, but going to do a lot of teeth grinding!
You're not far wrong there. Initial feeling after watching was "hey quite enjoyed that, not bad". But as you say, it's lacking something I can't pinpoint.

I'm subscribing to Netflix because of this.

Not hd though, just standard, as I'm a cheapskate

Pravda?

That’s why I subscribed to Netflix initially, but there’s some canny shows on it so it’s been worthwhile.

I enjoyed the first two episodes but would like to see Discovery before I make up my mind. Not too sure about Sarek to be honest, his voice doesn’t sound like original Sarek. I suppose we just need to give them time to settle into their roles.

One thing that I guarantee will happen is that the Klingons will lose a lot of their prosthetics if a second series is commissioned. They are just too complicated for a tv series.

I don't think the series has really started yet. Without giving away any spoilers I think the first 2 episodes were just setting up the current universe/ situation and giving Burnhams back storyline. I think the next episode will be the start of the series proper.
I thought it was a reasonable start and I'm looking forward to see how things develop.

Well bugger me sideways it's in Dolby Vision Gerrin :D
Posh twat :lol:

Multiverse Theory

From a science point of view absolutely. From a fan who's 51 year old franchise has been changed or fucked, not so much.

Well yes there's the multiverse, but I doubt they're going full Flash/Arrow style. It seems a bit daft to me if it's in neither Kelvin or prime.

I've watched the 1st and I wonder if.....

......this is the disastrous 1st contact with Klingons that Picard referred to that led to years of war. Yes, I know enterprise met the Klingons, and indeed fucked up their cranial ridges, but criticism of that (cannon wise) was that it didn't fit in with what Picard said.
However we do know war with Klingons is coming.

Then again could be nowt
Yes, season 1 is all about a war with the Klingons. It's also related to The Battle of Axanar http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_of_Axanar Which leads into the TOS episode and also the lawsuit

That’s why I subscribed to Netflix initially, but there’s some canny shows on it so it’s been worthwhile.

I enjoyed the first two episodes but would like to see Discovery before I make up my mind. Not too sure about Sarek to be honest, his voice doesn’t sound like original Sarek. I suppose we just need to give them time to settle into their roles.

One thing that I guarantee will happen is that the Klingons will lose a lot of their prosthetics if a second series is commissioned. They are just too complicated for a tv series.

Thats my theory too or something related. Due to the very mixed feedback to the trailers from long term Trekkies over the last year I think they have backtracked and altered where the show is going for season 2. This applies not just to the story, but how it's produced, cannon and a lot of other things. In recent weeks even the wording of the writers and producer etc has very slightly hinted at that too.

Last edited:
Posh twat :lol:

From a science point of view absolutely. From a fan who's 51 year old franchise has been changed or fucked, not so much.

Yes, season 1 is all about a war with the Klingons. It's also related to The Battle of Axanar http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_of_Axanar Which leads into the TOS episode and also the lawsuit

Thats my theory too or something related. Due to the very mixed feedback to the trailers from long term Trekkies over the last year I think they have backtracked and altered where the show is going for season 2. This applies not just to the story, but how it's produced, cannon and a lot of other things. In recent weeks even the wording of the writers and producer etc has very slightly hinted at that too.

I saw some comments on FB (Yes I know, mainly daft fuckers) but a few were decent.
One said that if it is Prime, they'll have to do a bit changing re the Klingons over time, as TNG etc clarifies that Klingons consider dead bodies as worthless empty vessels. So they'll have to abandon this religious shit over time.

Also how they made Sarek into some magical genie who just appeared when needed :lol:

I saw some comments on FB (Yes I know, mainly daft fuckers) but a few were decent.
One said that if it is Prime, they'll have to do a bit changing re the Klingons over time, as TNG etc clarifies that Klingons consider dead bodies as worthless empty vessels. So they'll have to abandon this religious shit over time.

Also how they made Sarek into some magical genie who just appeared when needed :lol:
Agreed, along with a LOT of things. My view of it is slowing going down over time after the FX wow factor wears off.

Well I've slept on it.

If it's not Kelvin it's going to be a disaster unfortunately.

Plays too fast and loose with the established canon for a self proclaimed Prime Timeline show and the main character is extremely unlikeable - a smart arse mutineer with precisely zero charm. Wooden dialogue and performances on the Fed side. This 'old ship' having ten times the technology of the 60s Enterprise.

It looks fantastic though. I like what they've done with the Klingons but in that timeline it's too much of a departure from what we know for a fact. No sign of the augment virus. Cloaking device obtained from the Romulans in exchange for ship designs. No previous mention of T'Kuvma in what would be a major timeline event.

Ironically it would fit beautifully as a Kelvin Timeline show.

Well I've slept on it.

If it's not Kelvin it's going to be a disaster unfortunately.

Plays too fast and loose with the established canon for a self proclaimed Prime Timeline show and the main character is extremely unlikeable - a smart arse mutineer with precisely zero charm. Wooden dialogue and performances on the Fed side. This 'old ship' having ten times the technology of the 60s Enterprise.

It looks fantastic though. I like what they've done with the Klingons but in that timeline it's too much of a departure from what we know for a fact. No sign of the augment virus. Cloaking device obtained from the Romulans in exchange for ship designs. No previous mention of T'Kuvma in what would be a major timeline event.

Ironically it would fit beautifully as a Kelvin Timeline show.

Just some things I've heard on the internet that *might* explain some of those thing.

>I like what they've done with the Klingons but in that timeline it's too much of a departure from what we know for a fact
It could be that they are wearing masks due to embarrassment over the augment virus. As you know it's something Klingons don't talk about it's so shunned. Also explains the 6 nostrils :p Also explains the disdain to be "absorbed" and instead maintain pure. Long stretch, but if they are going for the GoT's "wow factor" that's a possibility

>Cloaking device obtained from the Romulans in exchange for ship designs.
It's only 20 years before they *officially* were supposed to get it. The rumour is that the Romulans have given them very limited cloaking device technology to help gather the Klingons together against the Federation because the Romulans are angry they lost the Fed-Rom war. You know how sneaky they are.

I think it's an entirely new 3rd timeline personally borrowing from both the previous 2.

Back