Star Trek : Discovery

Very true. The only change they have done so far that I really don't like is f***ing with the Klingons. Why change a "brand" that is absolutely perfect and is a recognisable global icon? If you want to do that, make a new race.
There was rumours that they were going to somehow get around it by having one of the houses look like traditional klingons.. but from the debut episodes, it doesn't look like it.

Did anyone get the feeling from the clips of the future episodes that it looked a little like BSG when it turned a bit drama - sitcom ish and wank? The scenes it showed were entirely about Michael's interpersonal issues with others and nothing else. This jives with them keep saying over the last few months that the show is very much about diversity and acceptance of others etc to an almost exclusion of things like science, exploration and sci-fi etc.?
or just me?
When you think about it, enterprise probably royally fucked up the 'What we know' TOS TNG timeline. For one thing the future president of the UFP knows all about the future:lol:

The way I see it is (and I know this isn't 'scientifically accurate' and you have to suspend your belief a bit) is that there's different universes and different timelines but those 2 are separate things.
Like in Yesterday's Enterprise (one of my all time faves btw) it's Prime universe.....but timeline was altered.
Maybe this is Prime but altered.....by the events of Enterprise.

But really Kelvin is Prime but timeline altered too when you think about it :rolleyes::lol: ffs all this timey wimey shite!:lol:

I'm just gonna watch it and hope it's not shite:p

Well of course TOS doesn't do as well on Netflix in 2017. FFS it's from the 1960s.

Give me one:

1) reason why Star Trek was such a success, that doesn't mention of Kirk, Spock or Bones

2) set of characters equal to them in anything after TOS.

You can't.

What has gone over your head is that the Kirk-Spock-Bones axis is everything. It's why a cheesy 60s space-soap with Blue Peter sticky-backed plastic special effects, and often lame stories, became a legend. It's what JJA re-created when no-one (least of all me) thought it possible, which lead to his ST movies being the most popular of them all, despite plot holes that you could drive a bus through.

You appear to have missed all that, and your desperation to include the godawful Beyond in them, in which JJA played no direct part, just demonstrates your impartiality.

JJA saved Star Trek at the box office. FACT.

>Well of course TOS doesn't do as well on Netflix in 2017. FFS it's from the 1960s.
Are you serious? What has the fact that the show was made in the 1960 instead of the 1980's got to do with viewing them in 2017?.. Good TV is good TV regardless and both available online, blueray or any other format??

>reason why Star Trek was such a success, that doesn't mention of Kirk, Spock or Bones
As I've already said. TNG, VOY and DS9 don't feature Bones, Kirk or McCoy and got boatloads of awards, amazing reviews and HUGE fanbases. TNG alone got more awards than the rest put together
Sure TOS was the first, but those subsequent series stood on thier own two feet and the awards and reviews reflected that.

>set of characters equal to them in anything after TOS.
There's whole generations of people who prefer Picard, Data and Worf, Janeway, Sisko far more than the TOS characters and I'd wager that they are more numerous in 2017

>JJA saved Star Trek at the box office. FACT
He definitely helped financially, there's no denying that. I've already mentioned that at least once. But his films were shit and not proper 'Trek. They are also gone now.

>What has gone over your head is that the Kirk-Spock-Bones axis is everything.
That hasn't gone over my head at all, that was pivotal in TOS. You're just failing to read what I said. They dynamic was just simply not there in JJ's movies, it was forced and fake in the first 2 films and only slightly showed in the 3rd. Spock was woeful, especially having a relationship with Uhura.. that was BEYOND bad.

>which lead to his ST movies being the most popular of them all, despite plot holes that you could drive a bus through.
It became the most popular because it became generic sci-fi. The popularity had nothing at all to do with the none existent relationship triad that worked well in TOS.
Just read all of the articles about this, it's as plain as day and it's just an accepted fact that JJ did this with the franchise. Surely you've heard that he mad Trek more like Star Wars right.. more generic. Less Trek.
This is why all the kids it attracted have all got bored.

>You appear to have missed all that
I've missed nothing and I've tried to give you facts where I can rather than just my own likes or dislikes.

>and your desperation to include the godawful Beyond in them, in which JJA played no direct part, just demonstrates your impartiality.
It's was JJ's bloody production team that made Beyond for God's sake!!! It also used the universe he created, the actors he chose. FFS man, of course it was his film!
His films were utter crap, that's why even the generic fans his films attracted have pissed off aleady.

But just overall I'm not sure where you're going with this... We are covering the same ground here over and over.
You like the JJ's films, I very much don't.
I think ST: Discovery is (so far) closer to real trek than JJ's film, you don't.
That's fine.. Can we move on?

When you think about it, enterprise probably royally fucked up the 'What we know' TOS TNG timeline. For one thing the future president of the UFP knows all about the future:lol:

The way I see it is (and I know this isn't 'scientifically accurate' and you have to suspend your belief a bit) is that there's different universes and different timelines but those 2 are separate things.
Like in Yesterday's Enterprise (one of my all time faves btw) it's Prime universe.....but timeline was altered.

But really Kelvin is Prime but timeline altered too when you think about it ffs all this timey wimey shite!

Not to mention the magical Red Matter :lol: That plot device was cringe
Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:
>Well of course TOS doesn't do as well on Netflix in 2017. FFS it's from the 1960s.
Are you serious? What has the fact that the show was made in the 1960 instead of the 1980's got to do with viewing them in 2017?.. Good TV is good TV regardless and both available online, blueray or any other format??

>reason why Star Trek was such a success, that doesn't mention of Kirk, Spock or Bones
As I've already said. TNG, VOY and DS9 don't feature Bones, Kirk or McCoy and got boatloads of awards, amazing reviews and HUGE fanbases. TNG alone got more awards than the rest put together
Sure TOS was the first, but those subsequent series stood on thier own two feet and the awards and reviews reflected that.

>set of characters equal to them in anything after TOS.
There's whole generations of people who prefer Picard, Data and Worf, Janeway, Sisko far more than the TOS characters and I'd wager that they are more numerous in 2017

>JJA saved Star Trek at the box office. FACT
He definitely helped financially, there's no denying that. I've already mentioned that at least once. But his films were shit and not proper 'Trek. They are also gone now.

>What has gone over your head is that the Kirk-Spock-Bones axis is everything.
That hasn't gone over my head at all, that was pivotal in TOS. You're just failing to read what I said. They dynamic was just simply not there in JJ's movies, it was forced and fake in the first 2 films and only slightly showed in the 3rd. Spock was woeful, especially having a relationship with Uhura.. that was BEYOND bad.

>which lead to his ST movies being the most popular of them all, despite plot holes that you could drive a bus through.
It became the most popular because it became generic sci-fi. The popularity had nothing at all to do with the none existent relationship triad that worked well in TOS.
Just read all of the articles about this, it's as plain as day and it's just an accepted fact that JJ did this with the franchise. Surely you've heard that he mad Trek more like Star Wars right.. more generic. Less Trek.
This is why all the kids it attracted have all got bored.

>You appear to have missed all that
I've missed nothing and I've tried to give you facts where I can rather than just my own likes or dislikes.

>and your desperation to include the godawful Beyond in them, in which JJA played no direct part, just demonstrates your impartiality.
It's was JJ's bloody production team that made Beyond for God's sake!!! It also used the universe he created, the actors he chose. FFS man, of course it was his film!
His films were utter crap, that's why even the generic fans his films attracted have pissed off aleady.

But just overall I'm not sure where you're going with this... We are covering the same ground here over and over.
You like the JJ's films, I very much don't.
I think ST: Discovery is (so far) closer to real trek than JJ's film, you don't.
That's fine.. Can we move on?

Not to mention the magical Red Matter :lol: That plot device was cringe
As McGuffin's go, it did seem like a bit of a shite one:lol:

Thought I would never see the day on the SMB an argument started over Star Trek :lol:

Cannot wait to get home to watch it, don't care what the wife says I will be putting it on at 19:00 (ish)
I was finishing at 3.30 to go back and watch 1st one before bairn got dropped off and wife got in.......shes decided to finish same time as me now :neutral::rolleyes:

But really Kelvin is Prime but timeline altered too when you think about it :rolleyes::lol: ffs all this timey wimey shite!:lol:

Enterprise was close (but sadly not close enough) to being a good series imho. For my money, the main problem was that it was just badly cast, including the casting of the Enterprise herself. Except for Jolene obviously. TRANSDIMENSIONALWAD.

Thought I would never see the day on the SMB an argument started over Star Trek :lol:

Cannot wait to get home to watch it, don't care what the wife says I will be putting it on at 19:00 (ish)
I'm surprised there's not been droves of fuckers coming in calling us spotty nerds.. Although in reality most lads watch a bit of 'Trek and secretly want to be Picard or Kirk

Enterprise was close (but sadly not close enough) to being a good series imho. For my money, the main problem was that it was just badly cast, including the casting of the Enterprise herself. Except for Jolene obviously. TRANSDIMENSIONALWAD.
That's the one series that seems to get better and better each time I watch it. I just finished my 4th run of it 2 weeks ago and I thoroughly loved it. I really wish it had went 7 seasons

Who the hell would want to be an aged, baldy, pointy heeded, stiff backed slapheed?
A captain of a ship? f***ing around all ower the quadrant, Always getting his end away on Risa
me!

@Billy Rocket
Just for you mate. It's Encounter at Farpoint in the JJ verse. :lol:

Last edited:
That's the one series that seems to get better and better each time I watch it. I just finished my 4th run of it 2 weeks ago and I thoroughly loved it. I really wish it had went 7 seasons

A captain of a ship? f***ing around all ower the quadrant, Always getting his end away on Risa
me!
IIRC Coto planned S5 to be the Romulan war, going into S6. S7 would have been the final creation of the Federation. But poor writing and stories in 1-3 put pay to it all.
It also would have meant the S4 finale would have probs been the start of the war, and not the abortion that was These are the voyages :mad::cry:

Can't stand Count Bakula, and the bridge looks like a Kraftwerk gig. And no-one, and I mean NO-ONE, in the history of decent sci-fi has ever been called Malcolm.

Will be watching at 8pm when i get in from work, cannot wait. May the force be with you.

Can't stand Count Bakula, and the bridge looks like a Kraftwerk gig. And no-one, and I mean NO-ONE, in the history of decent sci-fi has ever been called Malcolm.
I hated that they painted him out to be a whinging stereotypical Brit with ego issues.

Will be watching at 8pm when i get in from work, cannot wait. May the force be with you.
Right.. out now..and don't come back :lol:

I'm surprised there's not been droves of fuckers coming in calling us spotty nerds.. Although in reality most lads watch a bit of 'Trek and secretly want to be Picard or Kirk

To be honest I would love to have something like the Delta Flyer in orbit above the earth, no hassle getting to work and nice place to go to get away from it all. :oops:

Back