Star Trek : Discovery

Well I've slept on it.

If it's not Kelvin it's going to be a disaster unfortunately.

Plays too fast and loose with the established canon for a self proclaimed Prime Timeline show and the main character is extremely unlikeable - a smart arse mutineer with precisely zero charm. Wooden dialogue and performances on the Fed side. This 'old ship' having ten times the technology of the 60s Enterprise.

It looks fantastic though. I like what they've done with the Klingons but in that timeline it's too much of a departure from what we know for a fact. No sign of the augment virus. Cloaking device obtained from the Romulans in exchange for ship designs. No previous mention of T'Kuvma in what would be a major timeline event.

Ironically it would fit beautifully as a Kelvin Timeline show.
Kinda agree. I just can't see how it's Prime.
I know the producer said hang fire as apparent coninutiny errors would be answered, but I fear those answers will be it's a different timeline/universe.

Just some things I've heard on the internet that *might* explain some of those thing.

>I like what they've done with the Klingons but in that timeline it's too much of a departure from what we know for a fact
It could be that they are wearing masks due to embarrassment over the augment virus. As you know it's something Klingons don't talk about it's so shunned. Also explains the 6 nostrils :p Also explains the disdain to be "absorbed" and instead maintain pure. Long stretch, but if they are going for the GoT's "wow factor" that's a possibility

>Cloaking device obtained from the Romulans in exchange for ship designs.
It's only 20 years before they *officially* were supposed to get it. The rumour is that the Romulans have given them very limited cloaking device technology to help gather the Klingons together against the Federation because the Romulans are angry they lost the Fed-Rom war. You know how sneaky they are.

I think it's an entirely new 3rd timeline personally borrowing from both the previous 2.
I think you'll be right. I'll be disappointed if true as I was hoping to revisit that 'universe' (tv shows) and , just IMO, putting it in a different place is lazy writing to get round having to adhere to cannon

Last edited:

Kinda agree. I just can't see how it's Prime.
I know the producer said hang fire as apparent coninutiny errors would be answered, but I fear those answers will be it's a different timeline/universe.

I think you'll be right. I'll be disappointed if true as I was hoping to revisit that 'universe' (tv shows) and , just IMO, putting it in a different place is lazy writing to get round having to adhere to cannon
If they can give logical reasons why things *seem* different and it ties back into canon then I'm completely happy. If it's a departure from canon just because they can't be arsed, then fuck them with a rusty batleth

So, if its 10 years before Kirks travels, then if its Kelvin, hes knocking about somewhere as a 10 year old. But if its Prime, then hes out there as a 20 year old!?
They gave you the date on earth in the first episode, I assume it ties into Prime's timeline. Don't know the timeline well enough to confirm it.

They gave you the date on earth in the first episode, I assume it ties into Prime's timeline. Don't know the timeline well enough to confirm it.
Well I guess the date is the date no matter what timeline or universe you're in. Maybe;):lol:

There's too many differences as posters above have said for it to be prime.....unless they explain it well

That's me completely. And I'd be slightly more accepting if it's Kelvin.....or even explained as a divergence somehow.

If it is lazy and its just a 3rd, as I say it's a shite reason. Last few seasons of Enterprise were good when they embraced it

Last edited:
There's too many differences as posters above have said for it to be prime.....unless they explain it well
I hope they don't spend a lot of time explaining the differences tbh. Our own technology and production values have moved on, I can accept it won't look like TOS despite being 10 years earlier. I can't help but think they should have set it 100 years after the Dominion War, would have left them less scope for gaping continuity errors or issues with fanboys complaining it doesn't feel right.

If they can give logical reasons why things *seem* different and it ties back into canon then I'm completely happy. If it's a departure from canon just because they can't be arsed, then fuck them with a rusty batleth
I honestly don't have an issue with them saying "we can do a bit more with our budget that they could in the 60s".

I hope they don't spend a lot of time explaining the differences tbh. Our own technology and production values have moved on, I can accept it won't look like TOS despite being 10 years earlier. I can't help but think they should have set it 100 years after the Dominion War, would have left them less scope for gaping continuity errors or issues with fanboys complaining it doesn't feel right.
I dont have a problem with the 'feel' of it. Enterprise looked more modern than TOS but they did it well.
But theres actual continuity differences with this one though (unless they explain them) such as the Klingons acquiring a cloak too early, the holo conversations, klingons creating tombs etc.
Feel wise i thought it was very good. Obviously it has to look advanced as we're in 2017.

We'll see. Im still gonna watch i, but i'll be surprised if its in the exact same timeline as prime leading to TOS, TNG, DS9 and Voy as we knew them

I dont have a problem with the 'feel' of it. Enterprise looked more modern than TOS but they did it well.
But theres actual continuity differences with this one though (unless they explain them) such as the Klingons acquiring a cloak too early, the holo conversations, klingons creating tombs etc.
Feel wise i thought it was very good. Obviously it has to look advanced as we're in 2017.

We'll see. Im still gonna watch i, but i'll be surprised if its in the exact same timeline as prime leading to TOS, TNG, DS9 and Voy as we knew them
It it wasn't for the last episode of enterprise they could have gone "yeah, the temporal cold war fucked shit up"

I honestly don't have an issue with them saying "we can do a bit more with our budget that they could in the 60s".
Sure I agree. But changing a viewscreen to a hologram when it's not part of canon does not come under the umbrella of new production methods or budget. After all we've been able to do convincing holograms in shows and movies since the 1960's and that cowboy film made in 2015 does not have an SUV instead of a horse and cart.

Thats the beef I have, not new styles and production values / budget

Sure I agree. But changing a viewscreen to a hologram when it's not part of canon does not come under the umbrella of new production methods or budget. After all we've been able to do convincing holograms in shows and movies since the 1960's and that cowboy film made in 2015 does not have an SUV instead of a horse and cart.

To have a hologram the way Discovery uses them - wandering all over and interacting - is far superior technologically than a viewscreen.

To have a hologram the way Discovery uses them - wandering all over and interacting - is far superior technologically than a viewscreen.
Yes it is, and if this was a factual science documentary looking into the future, a hologram would make perfect sense. But it's not a reality show, it's fiction that's set in an established universe and at an established era in that universe, which is confirmed by the showrunner.
You'd not make a hateful 8 movie with a car instead of a horse, or a sherlock holmes movie with someone holding a smartphone or a new Lord of The Rings movie where Gandalf watches a football match.
A change from a viewscreen to a hologram is well beyond a cosmetic change or updated production values, it's a very big functional change that fucks with canon

Of course, if they make a new universe then everything I've just said is irrelevant. But that does not jive with what Fuller is saying that it's in the prime universe and the writers confirming that more than once recently and that any differences we see now will be explained later.

I'm genuinely not arsed with them changing the view screen to a hologram.

It's like complaining about how good Jedi's were with their light sabres in the good old day.

I'm genuinely not arsed with them changing the view screen to a hologram.

It's like complaining about how good Jedi's were with their light sabres in the good old day.
Fair enough, but it is to a huge amount of other people. I don't think there's any other franchise where canon has been more important to a lot of people.

Fair enough, but it is to a huge amount of other people. I don't think there's any other franchise where canon has been more important to a lot of people.
I wouldnt say it's a big deal to a huge amount of people. Fanatics like yourself, sure. Are there a lot of fanatics? Yes. Will the show succeed if it it panders to fanatics alone, probably not.

We have shite in our living rooms than a some of the day to day stuff on 90s Star Trek. Anyone reading this is staring at a potential view screen right now with a built in computer that can answer any question ("okay Google/Siri tell me about Klingons").

As I said earlier though, I think they could have appeased a lot of the people complaining about stuff like this by setting it a few decades after DS9 and Voyager.

I wouldnt say it's a big deal to a huge amount of people. Fanatics like yourself, sure. Are there a lot of fanatics? Yes. Will the show succeed if it it panders to fanatics alone, probably not.

We have shite in our living rooms than a some of the day to day stuff on 90s Star Trek. Anyone reading this is staring at a potential view screen right now with a built in computer that can answer any question ("okay Google/Siri tell me about Klingons").

As I said earlier though, I think they could have appeased a lot of the people complaining about stuff like this by setting it a few decades after DS9 and Voyager.

I'm definatly a hard core fan instead of a casual, a traditionalist instead of a nuTrek.

It's a big deal to a huge amount of Star Trek fans I meant to say. Have a look at the forums, every single Star Trek page on Facebook, YouTube, Reddit, Twitter are all talking about canon issues. I mean it's even on this page!

Yes we have more modern stuff in our living rooms than TOS, but as I said earlier, Star Trek is not a documentary or indeed nonfiction. I have a more modern phone right next to me, but I'd not expect a Sherlock Holmes fictional show to have smartphones just to keep up with times.

Yeah I'm really confused why those chose this era and then diddled around with things which they know would cause friction.

I dont think you have to be a fanatic to have a niggle with something like that.
I think it's analogous to if in episode 3 they suddenly whip out a Quantum Slipstream drive. Is that ok cos its being filmed in 2017?
As it wasnt invented until Voyager

An extreme example i know but i think you know what im saying

I dont think you have to be a fanatic to have a niggle with something like that.
I think it's analogous to if in episode 3 they suddenly whip out a Quantum Slipstream drive. Is that ok cos its being filmed in 2017?
As it wasnt invented until Voyager

An extreme example i know but i think you know what im saying
That's just @Some Random Guy trying to push my buttons, he knows how to do it well :lol: Didn't work this time though :lol:

Well, I watched the first two episodes and thoroughly enjoyed them.

I've always liked star trek, in all it's different guises and films and will be buying the box set when it arrives.

I'm not as up to speeds, like you lads with all the different time zones and so on.

Will they be showing two episodes every Monday?

Well, I watched the first two episodes and thoroughly enjoyed them.

I've always liked star trek, in all it's different guides and films and will be buying the box set when it arrives.

I'm not as up to speeds, like you lads with all the different time zones and so on.

Will they be showing two episodes every Monday?
No just one from now on. Have you seen the animated series? and the dozen or so fan productions of which 4 of them are VERY good?

No just one from now on. Have you seen the animated series? and the dozen or so fan productions of which 4 of them are VERY good?
I have the animated series on dvd but have not seen any of the fan films.

Are they on YouTube?

Back