Star Trek : Discovery

I read the books first. Had to leave aside the disparities between books and tv. Managed that. It always happens.

Then they killed the Alex character off at the end of the last season (sorry for the spoiler but it was a scandal due to the actors misbehaviour so well reported) and now I’m watching the tv before I read the last book ... so God knows how I’ll cope with the conflicting narratives.
I’m reading the last book before watching the last series. Series is week to week on Amazon so will wait until they’ve all been on.

I’m reading the last book before watching the last series. Series is week to week on Amazon so will wait until they’ve all been on.

The book is in my letter to Santa. So I’m doing it back to front. Or ‘from behind’ if you like Carry On films

Actually, while Discovery may have many flaws, I didn't have a problem with them moving the story to the future (although maybe not as far as they did). With Strange New Worlds doing pre-TOS and Lower Decks post-TNG it was good to have Discovery in a totally different time period.
Looked a cop out to me from a writing stand point. Lower decks is great, but the star trek universe has a wealth of history, canon and timeline, but writers these days dont show respect to the subject matter, like say Bennet did when he did TWOK. They want to write their own flashy but empty shite and not be tied down. Star wars, star trek, they have been treated the same.

Why couldnt discovery have been about a lost 5 year mission? a failed voyager rescue attempt? The romulan war, klingon war, the borg in kirks era? Set aboard a miranda class, enterprise b’s sister ship? Etc etc

Na lets go 1000 years into the future….

Hurrah - Captain Mikey saves the Federation yet gain.

Enjoyed the Tilly stuff. I know she is a divisive character but I hope this isn't the last we have seen of her.
I enjoyed this weeks episode probably the most of the current series. It may have helped that we may have seen the back of Tilly mind!

Hurrah - Captain Mikey saves the Federation yet gain.

Enjoyed the Tilly stuff. I know she is a divisive character but I hope this isn't the last we have seen of her.
I thought the tilly stuff was embarrassing. It was like watching a troop of scouts where the troop leader is a young teenager trying really hard to pretend to be an adult.
She was 2nd in command of a star ship and she behaves like a child. I cringed all the way through that part.
Expanse

That’s all I’m saying.
Expanse is good sci-fi, but it's no substitute for Trek at it's best. In fact, I think the expanse ran it's course after 4 seasons. Trek is it's own very unique and special thing. Hopefully we'll eventually get that again.
Looked a cop out to me from a writing stand point.
They literally admitted it was a cop out for that reason. They didn't want to do the work to respect the canon. They thought they could make new ground-breaking foundations (pun intended) for Star Trek and it's fell flat on it's face more than once within the same series when the writers got fired.
Lets go 1000 years in the future and use medical band aids as rope to pull someone from 'quick-ice' lol

Last edited:
Actually, while Discovery may have many flaws, I didn't have a problem with them moving the story to the future (although maybe not as far as they did). With Strange New Worlds doing pre-TOS and Lower Decks post-TNG it was good to have Discovery in a totally different time period.
I don't understand why they didn't do a new Trek series post-Voyager anyway.

One of the problems with Enterprise, while it was showing the foundations of the Federation and Star Fleet, it was tied by the future already being written. You couldn't have a major Klingon war or do a lot of other things with the tech as the ending has essentially been written. They tried to bodge in a load of time travel stuff just to try and give the writers a bit more free licence. The series eventually got canned early because they kept running into cannon dead ends.

So then why did it make sense to pitch a series right before TOS, sitting in the gap between that and Enterprise, a gap they had already failed to fill. One they realised they made a mistake, they flung the ship into the future, but with all the baggage of the bodged scripts of the previous two years. I think the first two they spent so much time in the mirror universe because of lack of ideas.

Is lower decks official series? Don't know anything about SNW. Discovery? watched the first two seasons out of respect for the license but yeh, crap. Picard...just bloody awful.

Is lower decks official series? Don't know anything about SNW. Discovery? watched the first two seasons out of respect for the license but yeh, crap. Picard...just bloody awful.

Yes, Lower Decks is official - though I don't think we've seen it referenced in other shows.

Personally, I really liked Picard. Nice to see something set in the Trek universe which wasn't entirely about Starfleet.

Yes, Lower Decks is official - though I don't think we've seen it referenced in other shows.

Personally, I really liked Picard. Nice to see something set in the Trek universe which wasn't entirely about Starfleet.
Excellent graphics haha and visually spectacular but..the storylines were peculiar. And of course it stank of woke nonsense and PC nonsense.

Lower Decks and Prodigy are better than Disco and Picard, even though they are cartoon and lower brow. That's how shit the new live-action shows are.

Bit better this week I thought. Interpersonal and moral stuff handled much better than the sledgehammer approach of the last few weeks and the peril of the galaxy got a bit more interesting.
Bit of a mystery with the new character and the mark on his neck as well.

Bit better this week I thought. Interpersonal and moral stuff handled much better than the sledgehammer approach of the last few weeks and the peril of the galaxy got a bit more interesting.
Bit of a mystery with the new character and the mark on his neck as well.
Interesting, I noticed this episode was better too. It's almost as if the writers had a meeting and realised how they had been failing and made some changes.
Still not good, but it's not full of shit as usual.

it shows how shit the live action shows are when the best Live action Star trek series, Is the Orville
yeah I agree, I didn't hate Picard, think it's much better than Discovery, but The Orville is far ahead of them both.
Season 3 starts 10th March on Hulu (not sure if thats available over here?)

Average episode this week. Not a classic but it didn't have me screaming at the TV like previous weeks.

Good to have Reno back. All of Tig Notaro's scenes were filmed at the end of the season and edited in so she doesn't appear on screen with anyone.

Still not much action for the bridge crew. Rhys gets a mission and then it all happens off screen. He needs a better agent

No Grey and Adira this week which can only be a good thing. Happy never to see either of them again.

Last edited:

Back