Star Trek : Discovery

What the fuck is that site? I just took a look (at work), wanted a skim to see what is there, but 80% of the screen is taking up with an episode of Baywatch which you can't stop or turn off. To see the on demand stuff it is a tiny bit of the window. Spent a couple of minutes trying to work out how to stop Baywatch, didn't really look at their content, left again. Seems a really odd move.

I suspect it will be crammed with masses of adverts too.

Wow. I got Sky+ over 15 years ago and it changed the way we viewed TV. No just watching what is on, no keeping an eye on the clock for a program to start. Dropped that a few years ago when on-demand became the way to go and don't have a Sky dish or ariel these days.

Waiting for a show to start and watch live, if you are busy you miss it, it is like going back to the late 80s. At least in the 90s most of us could set the video for it.

The late 80s you say? Luxury.

When I woz a lad the only telly I saw woz a black and white episode of ‘The Saint’ at Grans house after Grandad had finished listening to Sing Something Simple on the Light Programme (that’s a bbc radio channel not a tv show).

I had a Torchy the Battery Boy Annual well before we got a telly and realised it was in telly anarl.

If you missed a programme that was it. And the bbc would wipe the tape or record the Black and White Minstrel Show over the top of it anyway.

And we lived in a hole at the bottom of the street

The late 80s you say? Luxury.

When I woz a lad the only telly I saw woz a black and white episode of ‘The Saint’ at Grans house after Grandad had finished listening to Sing Something Simple on the Light Programme (that’s a bbc radio channel not a tv show).

I had a Torchy the Battery Boy Annual well before we got a telly and realised it was in telly anarl.

If you missed a programme that was it. And the bbc would wipe the tape or record the Black and White Minstrel Show over the top of it anyway.

And we lived in a hole at the bottom of the street

a hole? You lucky bastard

Got to love how even so far into the future, whenever there is an explosion on a starship bridge there are rocks scattered everywhere and flames shoot out of consoles.

Got to love how even so far into the future, whenever there is an explosion on a starship bridge there are rocks scattered everywhere and flames shoot out of consoles.
The rock thing is an inside joke tbf, used in every Star Trek. So that one I can overlook.
However the Metallica Concert pyrotechnics were silly

right, how the fuck is what they're doing with Grey (essentially creating a synth body to bring the consciousness of some one whos dead bad to life) no completely against Federation laws like it has been for every Trek series! :lol:

Had to watch this week's episode twice as I fell asleep the first time.

Of all of the stupid things that Discovery have done, turning Mikey's scientist mother into a warrior nun has to be the most ridiculous.

Nice to see that Burnham saves the day …………………. Again.
The meeting at the start with head of state, UFP presidents. Why is Burnham there at all? Why is any captain there, let alone one who's newly promoted and new to that century.
Yeah and she saves the day again.
Garbage.
The writers really are doing this deliberately.

The meeting at the start with head of state, UFP presidents. Why is Burnham there at all? Why is any captain there, let alone one who's newly promoted and new to that century.
Yeah and she saves the day again.
Garbage.
The writers really are doing this deliberately.

That last bit is exactly right. It's almost feels like some sort of defiance.

I got half way through the third episode and turned it off. I think this may well be the last series of discovery I've got a feeling its going to flop big style.

I got half way through the third episode and turned it off. I think this may well be the last series of discovery I've got a feeling its going to flop big style.
Yeh I’m getting steadily more annoyed as the weeks are going on.
The ‘big peril facing the galaxy’ just seems to be a bit of a backdrop to all the interpersonal stuff. Don’t get me wrong, the interpersonal stuff can be engaging but they may as well write a soap opera set on the Starship Weatherfield the way things are going atm.

I'm not sure it's going to flop, it's been embraced quite strongly by the LBQT community to the level of a cult who will prop it up, many of which don't care about sci-fi or Star Trek. The thing is, it's actually setting back that and other communities decades in the way it's approaching the subjects. It's very forced and very much the opposite of normalising people in those communities.
If it does continue it will gradually fizzle out when the people who watch it for political reasons realise the actual entertainment value is zero. This will be long after purely Star Trek fans have abandoned it.
Don’t get me wrong, the interpersonal stuff can be engaging
Remember the talks Picard would have with Data about his journey becoming a human? Or Miles and Bashir having a chat when having a pint and playing darts.
That's how it's done.. Not the shite in Disco. It's about as "Engaging" as a dead warp core lol

Last edited:

Back