Star Trek : Discovery

Well we joked about it, but in the latest episode we see Burnham decide for herself to be on the overseeing body that checks up on not only the Federation, but the Vulcan/Romulan empires too. She's now the most powerful person in galaxy. Watch out Q!
The "Children in space" part with Tilly was really embarrassing in many ways. It was a slightly older teenage child leading younger children, with fake team bonding that didn't come close to hitting the mark. The script writing for this part was particularly bad and felt forced. I hope she does fuck off for good, the character is awful.
Booker / Culber stuff was ok, nothing special but not shite.
The political stuff was a mixed bag, but as soon as the the words "we just stand there quiet" were said I knew Burnham would be jumping up and being just Super dooper again. While this was bad, it got worse and fell off a cliff when it took 3-4 seconds for the presidents to support a completely new proposal. I laughed out loud for that. Imagine a Brexit deal, but involving 1000x more people and a radically new addendum being added and supported by all parties in 4 seconds.

If SNW doesn't come out of the gate flying the franchise is done for another 15-20 years.

nah, football is a way of life, Discovery is just muck, let it go!

watch foundation on apple tv+ if you want some good sci fi!
It might sound sad as fuck but Star Trek has been a really big part of my life growing up and extremely important to me. But yeah, Disco is shite.
Aye I've finished Foundation, quite good but not excellent. Jared Harris is a amazing actor and was amazing in The Terror & Chernobyl. Just imagine him as a captain or Admiral in 'Trek?
Foundation has soo many similarities to Dune.. or the other way around, not sure which was written first.
On that note, I think Dune 1984 was better in every way to the new one.

It might sound sad as fuck but Star Trek has been a really big part of my life growing up and extremely important to me. But yeah, Disco is shite.
Aye I've finished Foundation, quite good but not excellent. Jared Harris is a amazing actor and was amazing in The Terror & Chernobyl. Just imagine him as a captain or Admiral in 'Trek?
Foundation has soo many similarities to Dune.. or the other way around, not sure which was written first.
Love trek too but this is trek only in name. I didn’t finish the previous series and watched the first episode of this one. That was it for me, I’m done!

nah, football is a way of life, Discovery is just muck, let it go!

watch foundation on apple tv+ if you want some good sci fi!

Foundation!

Absolute bilge.
Same reason I still watch Sunderland. A lifetime of investment in the "franchise" and the eternal hope that things will get better.

I'm saving Foundation for a binge watch over Christmas.

If you’ve been anywhere near the books or you appreciate Asimov - or even if you just think that things constantly blowing up while people run around and the fate of entire galaxies with incredibly advanced technology is decided by a knife fight between two characters who have previously competed only in how angst ridden they were and how tragic their childhoods have been - then don’t expect too much from Foundation.

I stuck at it just to see whether the story would ever get back to a plot that didn’t have a galaxy sized black hole in it and really wished I hadn’t.

Foundation = 1942
Dune = 1965

I don’t know if you’re talking about similarities between films or books.

But I don’t know why any attempt to dramatise Asimov major works turns into some sort of pathetic comic-book adolescent shoot-em-up yarn. He basically invented an aaawwful lot of the basis and principles upon which most modern science fiction on tv and film is set and they turn it into quasi Batman or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Foundation!

Absolute bilge.

If you’ve been anywhere near the books or you appreciate Asimov - or even if you just think that things constantly blowing up while people run around and the fate of entire galaxies with incredibly advanced technology is decided by a knife fight between two characters who have previously competed only in how angst ridden they were and how tragic their childhoods have been - then don’t expect too much from Foundation.

Hmm - one of the reasons I have been putting Foundation off is that I have heard mixed reports about it despite having an excellent cast (Jarred Harris should be in everything). I did read most of the books as a child but was probably too young to fully appreciate them. I much preferred Asimov's short stories.

Foundation = 1942
Dune = 1965

I don’t know if you’re talking about similarities between films or books.

But I don’t know why any attempt to dramatise Asimov major works turns into some sort of pathetic comic-book adolescent shoot-em-up yarn. He basically invented an aaawwful lot of the basis and principles upon which most modern science fiction on tv and film is set and they turn it into quasi Batman or something.
Big galactic empires, styled in a very specific way that is grandiose, majestic and royal, headed by kings/queens/empowers rather than a parliament or Darth Vader type. Politics between different houses and factions that are separate from the ruling emperor. Religious factions with influences on the emperor and houses/factions.
I didn't say they were identical, but they do seem to have a lot of influences on screen that are more than coincidental.

Big galactic empires, styled in a very specific way that is grandiose, majestic and royal, headed by kings/queens/empowers rather than a parliament or Darth Vader type. Politics between different houses and factions that are separate from the ruling emperor. Religious factions with influences on the emperor and houses/factions.
I didn't say they were identical, but they do seem to have a lot of influences on screen that are more than coincidental.
Can’t see anything in my post to be suggest I’m saying you’re wrong. Yes there are similarities in terms of all the things you mention. If he didn’t invent that kind of quasi-historical imperial ‘Space Opera’ then Asimov surely popularised it and certainly greatly influenced writers that followed. Which is why I mentioned that his creation preceded Herbert’s by over 20 years.

Filmmakers and TV producers have struggled to recreate the imagination and sheer scope of both. Probably budget. But more so with Asimov. Most of the story of Dune takes place on a single planet with a reasonable small cast of characters for each aspect of the story. Each element of the original Foundation series was separated by hundred/thousands of year iirc. Plus in later years he proceeded to weave all his ‘Empire’ (also spanning millennia) and ‘Robot’ books into a single overarching ‘universe’ through writing other novels that connected everything. A bit of a chore to read but very clever. He even used his Time Travel novel (The End Of Eternity iirc) to explain how it came about. Any filmic depiction of Asimov works needs to recognise that some of his later work explained and made a different sense of some of his earlier work. They struggle. So they make shit up and turn it into a quasi Marvel film.

I didn’t intend to woffle about Asimov but I got carried away. Sorry

Dune - in comparison - is, albeit expansive ( 🤫 ) in scope a creation that was imagined mostly as the entity it became. Till Herbert went a big mad.

I think i got to the end of season 2? Whenever they fucked off into the future because the writers cant be arsed to tie it into the canon so they want a blank slate. Simplified, JJ Abramsing

Its awful, lazy and hypocritical rubbish that shouldnt have star trek mentioned in the same breathe

I think i got to the end of season 2? Whenever they fucked off into the future because the writers cant be arsed to tie it into the canon so they want a blank slate. Simplified, JJ Abramsing

Its awful, lazy and hypocritical rubbish that shouldnt have star trek mentioned in the same breathe
Unfortunately, even in the future they have majorly fooked with canon and re-wrote core characters

Hurrah - Captain Mikey saves the Federation yet gain.

Enjoyed the Tilly stuff. I know she is a divisive character but I hope this isn't the last we have seen of her.

Enjoyed the first two seasons of Expanse then lost track of it. Really need to revisit it at some point but it is a series you need to concentrate on. It's not something to watch with your brain switched off.

I read the books first. Had to leave aside the disparities between books and tv. Managed that. It always happens.

Then they killed the Alex character off at the end of the last season (sorry for the spoiler but it was a scandal due to the actors misbehaviour so well reported) and now I’m watching the tv before I read the last book ... so God knows how I’ll cope with the conflicting narratives.

Actually, while Discovery may have many flaws, I didn't have a problem with them moving the story to the future (although maybe not as far as they did). With Strange New Worlds doing pre-TOS and Lower Decks post-TNG it was good to have Discovery in a totally different time period.

Back