Star Trek : Discovery

I've decided season 3 will be my last one unless they kill Burnham off. It's now spent half the series being blown out of the water by The Mandalorian and the other half being crushed by The Expanse.

Looking forward to Strange New Worlds. With a fair amount of dread too, it has to be said, they'll probably fuck that one up as well.

I've decided season 3 will be my last one unless they kill Burnham off. It's now spent half the series being blown out of the water by The Mandalorian and the other half being crushed by The Expanse.

Looking forward to Strange New Worlds. With a fair amount of dread too, it has to be said, they'll probably fuck that one up as well.
No.1 looks like a reason to watch no matter what. Amson Mount is a canny actor, was good in Hell on Wheels. Sadly most TV now is written by conference and is overly inclusive for the sake of it to the detrement of any storyline. I'm hoping this can be different too. Right about the mandalorian, Just about the watch now series of The Expanse, awaiting a few so I can watch together. Its as good as last series?

No.1 looks like a reason to watch no matter what. Amson Mount is a canny actor, was good in Hell on Wheels. Sadly most TV now is written by conference and is overly inclusive for the sake of it to the detrement of any storyline. I'm hoping this can be different too. Right about the mandalorian, Just about the watch now series of The Expanse, awaiting a few so I can watch together. Its as good as last series?

Better so far. Episodes 4 and 5 are stupendously good.
Episode 12.

The whole show is just tailspinning now. Effect no longer requires a cause and Burnham is basically in God mode now. Stamets (who's excellent in this one but only to serve guess who) bonds with the bad guy scientist because they're both gay because that's a thing now apparently and the rest of the plot is stolen from the far superior TNG episode 'Starship Mine'. There was no drama in the crew escaping sub plot because I barely know any of their names and haven't seen enough of any of them to care whether they live or die.

Nice to know those robots they've been happily killing off for two seasons have character.

Shite.

Last edited by a moderator:
For a series finale it was good, not one of the best Trek finales but still it managed to finish this series on a bit of a high note, after a bit of a weak third series. A few things irritated me still.

One of things I found quite irritating is the scenes involving the exterior (?interior) turboshaft scenes throughout the series. The tuboshafts look huge and spacious, whoever built the Discovery must have took a crash course at Gallifrey!

As for the exchange between Vance and Burnham towards the end and receiving her promotion... 🤬 Not sure whether it fault of the writers or whether it has been how she been portrayed but Burnham has to be one of the weakest characters in Trek history since Archer!

I am hoping we will see an improvement in series 4.

I gave up with it S2 then went back S3. A couple of good episodes I thought this has improved massively. I was wrong there was just a couple of good episodes.
Why can't they make a simple old style star trek? Beam down, fight aliens, captain shags an alien, beam up. Alien ship attacks, raise shields, fire a torpedo, destroy alien ship and then move on to next planet.
The original series, TNG and voyager followed that formula with slight variations and were all successful.
I think arty farty writers today feel they have to be ground breaking. Create a masterpiece for deep thinkers, that will win awards. Instead of just some good old fashioned entertainment that will appeal to the masses. Discovery is crap and I love star trek. I won't be watching it again.

It must be infuriating to the writers that season one and two were completely held together by two different middle-aged honkies.

As the company that made Ghostbusters 2016 found out and Doctor Who is finding out out - diversity is a very welcome enhancement to a story, but it's a bloody awful replacement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah it was a pretty poor episode. It's weird because despite being pretty poor star trek, season 3 felt so close to maybeeeee getting there but kept missing the mark.

They haven't half shot themselves in the foot though and I can't get my head around why. One thing that would improve the show ten-fold would be killing off Burnham but they go and make the fucker captain!!

I think after 3 seasons now it's safe to say it's never going to be a traditional star trek show - after watching it I Immediately stuck some TNG on and despite having watched it multiple times I really enjoyed it. I don't think I'll ever be able to say that about Disco.

Also the anti white straight male just f***ing stinks tbh.

The original theme tune at end brought a tear to the eye......

Best bit of the episode. Just a shame that we had to sit through so much garbage to get to ti.

So Burnham saves the universe again, her boyfriend can conveniently fly the mushroom machine and gets the captaincy despite a long history of being unable to follow orders.

Really looking forward to the new Pike series but don't care about Discovery S4 or the new S31 spinoff.

I gave up with it S2 then went back S3. A couple of good episodes I thought this has improved massively. I was wrong there was just a couple of good episodes.
Why can't they make a simple old style star trek? Beam down, fight aliens, captain shags an alien, beam up. Alien ship attacks, raise shields, fire a torpedo, destroy alien ship and then move on to next planet.
The original series, TNG and voyager followed that formula with slight variations and were all successful.
I think arty farty writers today feel they have to be ground breaking. Create a masterpiece for deep thinkers, that will win awards. Instead of just some good old fashioned entertainment that will appeal to the masses. Discovery is crap and I love star trek. I won't be watching it again.
Sadly now written by teams rather than individuals. Leftists have control of it so it's all about being and working together and inclusively. New generation will love it but old trek fans are turning away From it sadly

Sadly now written by teams rather than individuals. Leftists have control of it so it's all about being and working together and inclusively. New generation will love it but old trek fans are turning away From it sadly
Quite ironic as Trek has always been about inclusivety,being entertaining but also having a subtle social message.
Now the message is smashed into the viewers face.

There was a character that I didn’t recognise in the final episode and I said to the missus “oh look, that’s the one that’s gonna die. We haven’t seen her before. They always have a crew member (like in the away team and that) who gets killed - one you’ve never noticed or seen before...”

...and the bastard survived!!

It’s a betrayal of the whole canon I tells her.

Never thought I’d type ‘canon’. It must be hell for those of you who knew what the fucks been going on with timelines and all the overlaps and multiverses and stuff that the rest of us haven’t got a friggin clue about.

The whole social media thing around the show is hilarious as well.

Point out inconsistencies and poor writing and characterisation
Get called a hater and told to go and watch something else
Stops watching and tells everyone they know to not bother and watch better programmes instead
Shocked Pikachu face

They went mental when I mention that I had to google the names of most of the bridge crew I was supposed to care about. I know Detmer and with a huge effort remembered Owu, but the black guy? The asian guy? Random bridge woman? Anyone? They've been in the show all the time and we've learned nothing about them. By the end of the third series of TOS I knew the name Kirk's Yeoman whose only job was handing him the pad to sign.

There was a character that I didn’t recognise in the final episode and I said to the missus “oh look, that’s the one that’s gonna die. We haven’t seen her before. They always have a crew member (like in the away team and that) who gets killed - one you’ve never noticed or seen before...”

...and the bastard survived!!

It’s a betrayal of the whole canon I tells her.

Never thought I’d type ‘canon’. It must be hell for those of you who knew what the fucks been going on with timelines and all the overlaps and multiverses and stuff that the rest of us haven’t got a friggin clue about.

Having been Trek and Star Wars fan for over 40 odd years, I’ve given up trying to figure out what is now classed as canon and what isn’t.

Haven’t seen last episode of Discovery yet, any other series I’d be breaking my neck to watch.... but I’m finding myself having to push myself to sit and watch.

Back