Star Trek : Discovery

Sadly now written by teams rather than individuals. Leftists have control of it so it's all about being and working together and inclusively. New generation will love it but old trek fans are turning away From it sadly

Original Trek was all about working together and inclusively - they had a Russian on the bridge during the cold war and a black woman who couldn't sit in the same place as the rest of the cast in some states. Now you just wait for Burnham to solve it all for you.

Forced myself through this series and it was a blessed relief that last nights was the last one in the series.
As many have said, there just isn’t any memorable characters in it so you just don’t engage with it.
who the Captain this week? Burn ham, saru or fat ginger bird?

Picard was a disaster as well.

I hope they do some serious soul searching before the start their next iteration of the franchise.

Quite ironic as Trek has always been about inclusivety,being entertaining but also having a subtle social message.
Now the message is smashed into the viewers face.
For me was always character driven but great adventures. Now just shoehorning as many diverse characters in as poss to the detriment of the story
Original Trek was all about working together and inclusively - they had a Russian on the bridge during the cold war and a black woman who couldn't sit in the same place as the rest of the cast in some states. Now you just wait for Burnham to solve it all for you.
But with a supporting cast covering every possible spectrum of the world today. It's too much imo. Burnham as captain will turn most off completely now I feel.

Last edited:
I'm not bothered about the canon or the lack of straight white men. It's just the basics of plot and character. There are some good ideas that end up going nowhere because Burnham just saves everyone. She's meant to have gone through a redemption arc after disobeying orders and starting a war but hasn't changed and the everyone else now just sees how amazing she is.

I'm not bothered about the canon or the lack of straight white men. It's just the basics of plot and character. There are some good ideas that end up going nowhere because Burnham just saves everyone. She's meant to have gone through a redemption arc after disobeying orders and starting a war but hasn't changed and the everyone else now just sees how amazing she is.
I agree and it stifles other character development. I honestly couldn’t really tell you the names of the rest of the bridge crew except the ginger whinger.

I agree and it stifles other character development. I honestly couldn’t really tell you the names of the rest of the bridge crew except the ginger whinger.
I don't mind Tilley as a character but making her number 1 made no sense. Still I went along with it and thought they might try and develop her character but no she still ends up deferring to Burnham.

They've set up a good bit of tension between Stamets and Burnham. But you know either he'll be written out and replaced by the new science bloke and Book or he'll come round to accepting how brilliant Burnham is.

Just how shite a villain is Osyraa? I think she would have been more suited to call centre work than the leader of the Emerald Chain.

Methods of defeating Osyraa:

1) Turn the tables on her after a drawn-out game of cat and mouse.
2) Throw her into a large vat of deus ex machina.
3) Hang up on her.

I don't mind Tilley as a character but making her number 1 made no sense. Still I went along with it and thought they might try and develop her character but no she still ends up deferring to Burnham.

They've set up a good bit of tension between Stamets and Burnham. But you know either he'll be written out and replaced by the new science bloke and Book or he'll come round to accepting how brilliant Burnham is.
The original series lasted 3 series (obviously more episodes) but several of the characters became well rounded and we knew about what type of character they were and some of their history.
It was the same for TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise. Apart from Saru and Burnham (and maybe Lorca and Georgiou to a lesser extent) we know next to nothing about the support characters.
Even in the 60’s the great Captain Kirk didn’t have all the answers and had to be bailed out by others regularly.

Last edited:
Forced myself to sit and watch the final episode this morning.

it was ok in places.

Burnham saves the day (with small help from her friends) yay! The main villain, the one character with a lot more interest and possibilities for future interest is bumped off.

What are the writers trying to say here? It’s okay to ignore orders/chain of command, don’t be a team player, just do your own thing - because you right and everybody else is wrong, and doing what you want will earn you whatever you want,...

And the turbolift network.... a sub space network or just set graphic designers spending the remaining budget as it is last episode?

Things I liked about season 3:

The initial world building of a post burn quadrant of the galaxy with key founding Federation worlds no longer in it. Almost setting up as Discovery coming in with old world Federation ethic and ideals to heal the place.
The soppy message of people coming together and all that wrapped up with the Roddenberry quote at the end. Found it nice.
The other crew got some more lines and a couple of things to do.
The first part of the finale. Not what was expected going into it!

Things I didn't like:

The world building didn't really go anywhere and things coming together just tacked on in an ending summary.
The cause of the burn. Might have led to some nice Saru moments in the finale, but that's the cause of the burn? Much better to have no answer for it and think of something better to cause it next season.
Emerald Chain. Wasted potential and ended up being weak villains, and wasted the opportunity to make them more as hinted in the first part of the finale.
Super Burnham able to fight of Ossira despite nasty leg injury. Only limped before and after their fight. During? Run over tables with ease. etc.
The turbo lift scene. Visually cool, logically silly.

Forced myself through this series and it was a blessed relief that last nights was the last one in the series.
As many have said, there just isn’t any memorable characters in it so you just don’t engage with it.
who the Captain this week? Burn ham, saru or fat ginger bird?

Picard was a disaster as well.

I hope they do some serious soul searching before the start their next iteration of the franchise.
Philipa Georgia, the only character I liked.

Burnham is a disaster for the show but not the reason I genuinely find it painful to watch. This might be, almost certainly is, teaching gran to suck eggs but theres this thing called colour theory that revolves (lol) around this wheel.
Logon or register to see this image

Colours opposite one another on the wheel are called complimentary, they are opposite but look really good with each other. The important pair here is blue and orange. Filmmakers (over) use these a lot, especially in sci fi because you can apply a colour palette that has slight orange tinges to skin tones then use a blue for background to provide a dark/futuristic fill. Done well it makes the characters or other focus of the screen really "pop". Done badly you get Blade 3. Done the way Discovery does it it means that 10 minutes into an episode everyone looks like a f***ing umpa lumpa and EVERY single scene is bright orange and blue.

Last edited:

Back