Star Trek : Discovery

Episode 3 is better. As usual though, it's a mix of 'nice touch' and howlingly stupid.

I nearly put my foot through the telly with Earthxit.

Someone hopefully has finally thought up how to change Burnham's appalling character.

Pleased to see the new 'non binary' character introduced without a ludicrously worthy song and dance about it.

Well it started off well but I have lost interest now. Star Trek and especially Discovery just does not do season long arcs well. I mean, what actually happened in today's episode? Fuck all.

I nearly put my foot through the telly with Earthxit.

Yeah this seem abrupt but understandable, deffo a gesture to current world politics.
What was worse was how just how 5 minutes of talking to EDF and the Titan faction got them talking together.. I mean.. The Federation are good mediators, but not that good. It did however give me the onion effect in the corner of my eye to see the UFP doing it's thing.

Someone hopefully has finally thought up how to change Burnham's appalling character.

Yup.. They even made a mini speech a couple of times how she's changed.. Well, I'm all for listening to the fans and making her more likable.

Despite mistakes, overall this is the 2nd episode on the trot that felt like "Star Trek".. Only 1 episode in 2 season felt like that before. It's definitely got better in season 3 in some quite fundamental ways and the remaining issues are much smaller for me.

Next Gen hit it's mark in season 3.. onwards and upwards! LLAP!
I will add that now that Disco is relatively likeable now (touch wood).. It shows that mostly episodic episodes is when 'Trek is at it's best. I don't feel "full" at the end of each episode of Disco.. it just feels like constant loose ends. ST:SNW thankfully will go back to that formula.. hopefully Disco S4 will too.

Last edited:
S3E3

Not my cup of tea. Worst episode ever. The 5 minute peace accord, the interaction between Stammets and the youngun, with him cocking his head like some clockwork bird. Then that tree scene. American schmaltz at its worst.

Aye I watched it yesterday. It's not bad. There's better fan made ones though.

Have you watched Prelude to Axanar?

Fan film made in 2014, the names involved.... Richard Hatch, Tony Todd, Kate Vernon and Gary Graham.

Had to do a bit reading and apparently the follow film was held in limbo because CBS weren’t happy with how fans had pulled together the money to fund the production, something about selling merchandise.

Prelude to Axanar is only 20 minutes but still feels more “trek” than Discovery

Yeah this seem abrupt but understandable, deffo a gesture to current world politics.
What was worse was how just how 5 minutes of talking to EDF and the Titan faction got them talking together.. I mean.. The Federation are good mediators, but not that good. It did however give me the onion effect in the corner of my eye to see the UFP doing it's thing.

Yup.. They even made a mini speech a couple of times how she's changed.. Well, I'm all for listening to the fans and making her more likable.

Despite mistakes, overall this is the 2nd episode on the trot that felt like "Star Trek".. Only 1 episode in 2 season felt like that before. It's definitely got better in season 3 in some quite fundamental ways and the remaining issues are much smaller for me.

Next Gen hit it's mark in season 3.. onwards and upwards! LLAP!
I will add that now that Disco is relatively likeable now (touch wood).. It shows that mostly episodic episodes is when 'Trek is at it's best. I don't feel "full" at the end of each episode of Disco.. it just feels like constant loose ends. ST:SNW thankfully will go back to that formula.. hopefully Disco S4 will too.
Usually on hold ages before talking to EDF so they've done well there tbh

Bit of m’eh episode, although it was nice to finally see the Trill home world but this series seems to be taking its time to get going, almost as if they purposely slowly building up for big dramatic reveal.

Bit of m’eh episode, although it was nice to finally see the Trill home world but this series seems to be taking its time to get going, almost as if they purposely slowly building up for big dramatic reveal.
I thought it was a good solid episode. 3rd one on the trot that actually felt like Star Trek.

Feels like they're leading into the Spore drive being the new way to travel.

Galaxies everywhere have life and warp capable species but it's the jump to spore drive that is the 'great filter'. They get x amount of time using Warp before they run out at that point they either develop spore drive or slowly return to sub warp capabilities. (Oil anyone? And the burn being 'global warming').

Some other galactical civilisation caused the burn to hurry this process up, to stop the federation in it's tracks so it's no longer a threat to them. Or they were the first to develop a better technology and caused the burn throughout the universe to stop anyone else getting to that level.

Might be the first protaganist from 'outside' the Milky way.

Feels like they're leading into the Spore drive being the new way to travel.

Galaxies everywhere have life and warp capable species but it's the jump to spore drive that is the 'great filter'. They get x amount of time using Warp before they run out at that point they either develop spore drive or slowly return to sub warp capabilities. (Oil anyone? And the burn being 'global warming').

Some other galactical civilisation caused the burn to hurry this process up, to stop the federation in it's tracks so it's no longer a threat to them. Or they were the first to develop a better technology and caused the burn throughout the universe to stop anyone else getting to that level.

Might be the first protaganist from 'outside' the Milky way.
Not sure about that, Romulans used a quantum singularity for warp core, not dilithium crystals. We also have quantum slipstream, transwarp etc that all worked back in the 24th century or earlier.

Not sure about that, Romulans used a quantum singularity for warp core, not dilithium crystals. We also have quantum slipstream, transwarp etc that all worked back in the 24th century or earlier.

Yeah but they can't get you to other galaxies in a useful time, or can they?

Sort of a really powerful civilisation destabilising another less powerful civilisation that may have the potential to challenge them.

I love sci-fi me there's so many ways you can take it. Taking your post it could be Romulans attempting to destroy the federation as the burn wouldn't affect them, if they're still about anyway or capable of doing it.

Yeah but they can't get you to other galaxies in a useful time, or can they?

Sort of a really powerful civilisation destabilising another less powerful civilisation that may have the potential to challenge them.

I love sci-fi me there's so many ways you can take it. Taking your post it could be Romulans attempting to destroy the federation as the burn wouldn't affect them, if they're still about anyway or capable of doing it.
No warp drive ever could. Romulan warp was on part with the Federations. Quantum slipstream and transwarp were considerably faster. The former could take you from one end of the galaxy to another.
Inter-galaxy travel has very rarely been touched upon in Trek and even then we've never seen travel to another galaxy, it's only been mentioned.
But my point is that just because dilithium crystals have went pop doesn't mean the galaxy does not stop interstellar travel. It's a major plot hole that it has actually that hasn't been addressed yet.

No warp drive ever could. Romulan warp was on part with the Federations. Quantum slipstream and transwarp were considerably faster. The former could take you from one end of the galaxy to another.
Inter-galaxy travel has very rarely been touched upon in Trek and even then we've never seen travel to another galaxy, it's only been mentioned.
But my point is that just because dilithium crystals have went pop doesn't mean the galaxy does not stop interstellar travel. It's a major plot hole that it has actually that hasn't been addressed yet.

Yeah i've been thinking that as well they are obviously trying to keep up the suspense.

Just this new season of Discovery does seem to be taking star trek 'where its never been before' makes me thing we will see something new rather than the same old Romulans Klingons Borg etc. Would be a breath of fresh air.

Yeah i've been thinking that as well they are obviously trying to keep up the suspense.

Just this new season of Discovery does seem to be taking star trek 'where its never been before' makes me thing we will see something new rather than the same old Romulans Klingons Borg etc. Would be a breath of fresh air.
Yeah they certainly broke some chains moving 1000 years in the future, but the old races are still there. Andorians, Trill, Human, the rat faced ones (forget name) and a couple others.. Most notably missing are Romulans and KlingOrcs. The former is missing possibly because they DO have warp drive and they will show up later in the season and will tie into Picard I bet (even tho it's 1000 years prior). KlingOrcs are missing because they fucked them up completely and are just avoiding them.

Either way, Season 3 is much better.

Back