Star Trek : Discovery

Also Enterprise
When Book mentions the temporal wars, possibly the Temporal Cold War from Enterprise

Canny episode I thought, looks they are not going to totally ignore canon like people assumed.
Aye. That was a big one

Well I wouldn't say ignore cannon, its building on it. I think its the opposite of ignoring, cos they can now create their own whilst doing all those Easter eggs.

Indeed, although I think it seems a bit lazy of the writers to have Discovery jump far ahead so they not hindered by Star Trek canon.

Isn't there another Star Trek series in the works? Something to do with Enterprise/Pike?

Edit: Found it - Star Trek: Strange New Worlds
The girl in the turbo lift with young Spock in the first pic on that link. Wow, hope she's a major character.
I also hope it's better than Discovery and Picard though. I gave up with both of those

Never watched enterprise, after seeing the first two episodes when they aired I just didnt like the old style stuff and maybe didnt give it a proper go. Is it worth revisiting?

Went back and watched DS9 a couple of years ago having not watched that at the time and really enjoyed it.

Producer count - 20. Twenty.

Shite so far like. About twenty minutes in.
Awful. Just awful.

Last edited by a moderator:
The cargo ship character is more interesting and has more charisma than Burnham after one episode.
The effects are excellent, unfortunately I'm bored shitless.

I still can't get over how bad that was.

Every lazy, dumb, sci fi trope trotted out and hoyed at the wall in the hope something sticks.

Episode 1 - Burnham goes to Canto Bight.

7/10.. Mostly just filler, which isn't good with seasons with only 13 episodes. Nothing offensive, which is an improvement.
Should have made the episode have the flag half way through and Disco setting off looking for more Federation people by the end. The worm and shooting scenes felt like filler. Very little felt specifically Star Trek, other than flag waving.
Never watched enterprise, after seeing the first two episodes when they aired I just didnt like the old style stuff and maybe didnt give it a proper go. Is it worth revisiting?

Went back and watched DS9 a couple of years ago having not watched that at the time and really enjoyed it.
Enterprise is a fantastic series IMHO. I re-watched it again last year and loved it even more.

Last edited:
The cargo ship character is more interesting and has more charisma than Burnham after one episode.
The effects are excellent, unfortunately I'm bored shitless.
I’ll think I’ll try another episode and see, are none of the discovery characters going to be in this?
Also is it usually just 1 drop per week, I’m sure I watched previous seasons in one go?

Was quite obviously a set up episode to explain the situation at this point in time. Discovery will obviously turn up at some point or there's no reason to call the series Discovery.
It will be interesting to see how they cope with antique technology rather than being cutting edge like a normal Trek series.
Probably about a 7/10 for me but I’m hoping it picks up significantly in the next couple of episodes.

Was quite obviously a set up episode to explain the situation at this point in time. Discovery will obviously turn up at some point or there's no reason to call the series Discovery.
It will be interesting to see how they cope with antique technology rather than being cutting edge like a normal Trek series.
Probably about a 7/10 for me but I’m hoping it picks up significantly in the next couple of episodes.
Yup, but yhey didn't need to do that for 52 minutes when seasons are only 13 episodes long. Especially when 50% of the episode was a needless gun battle and space worm FX wankfest. We could have dumped (or reduced) that padding and had the episode end with Disco having arrived and the last scene of them warping off looking for other Federation outposts. That would have been a good balanced opening episode IMHO.

Yup, but yhey didn't need to do that for 52 minutes when seasons are only 13 episodes long. Especially when 50% of the episode was a needless gun battle and space worm FX wankfest. We could have dumped (or reduced) that padding and had the episode end with Disco having arrived and the last scene of them warping off looking for other Federation outposts. That would have been a good balanced opening episode IMHO.
I don’t disagree, I’m just trying to give it a bit of time to develop, especially as they are already starting to film series 4, or will be at the start of next month.

I don’t disagree, I’m just trying to give it a bit of time to develop, especially as they are already starting to film series 4, or will be at the start of next month.
Aye mate, I'm quietly optimistic about this season. Nothing in the episode rubbed me up the wrong way like most of S1 & S2 did. My mindset over the last years is that this is a generic sci-fi with a little bit of Star Trek flavouring. If it turns out to be a fantastic season about the rising of the Federation phoenix, then that will be the cherry on the cake, even if Burnham ends up saving the galaxy again 😂
On a side note, I feel ST:LD is more "Trek" than Disco or Picard.. It feels more "home"???

Aye mate, I'm quietly optimistic about this season. Nothing in the episode rubbed me up the wrong way like most of S1 & S2 did. My mindset over the last years is that this is a generic sci-fi with a little bit of Star Trek flavouring. If it turns out to be a fantastic season about the rising of the Federation phoenix, then that will be the cherry on the cake, even if Burnham ends up saving the galaxy again 😂
On a side note, I feel ST:LD is more "Trek" than Disco or Picard.. It feels more "home"???
I’ve only seen a couple of episodes of LD but they were enjoyable and as you say very much classic Trek.
Im really looking forward to Strange New Worlds, I think it has the potential to be a cracking series if done the right way.

I think it showed once and for all how poor Burnham is as a character, and the bizarre decision to build the show entirely around her either being smug and aloof or teary and shouty.

I wish the worm hadn't coughed her back up tbh. The whole show is held back by her. I don't think the new boy will save the season in the way Lorca and Pike did previously, but it'll improve when Saru, Stamets and Reno are back.

Oh fuck, I forgot about the Terran Pantomime Empress.

First series has a few high spots, but is mostly finding it's feet.

Second series improving, Shran is a scene stealer.

Third series, a major story arc through the whole series. Very good.

Fourth series, show is maturing nicely, including a mirror two parter, and robocop dropping in.

It improved as it went on, and was cancelled too soon in my opinion. My advice, perseverance is rewarded with it.
Also, don't watch the last episode of series 4. Really. Don't.

Back