Stadium improvement ideas

It really is quite sad if our fans need the proximity of away fans to make a noise. It should be about backing the team, not baiting the opposition. The Fulwell End never needed away fans next door to make a hell of a noise.
How is it sad?? the home fans still back the players on the pitch now , there is no doubt however having the away fans in the lower bowl creates a better atmosphere weather you like it or not

Roker Wingstand was mar noisier than the FE during the 90s. And it was next to the Away fans...

I'm talking about the 70s.

How is it sad?? the home fans still back the players on the pitch now , there is no doubt however having the away fans in the lower bowl creates a better atmosphere weather you like it or not

I just think it should be about more than "banter" with the opposition fans. It's not a culture I grew up with. The away fans then were an irrelevance - more often than not there weren't many of them anyway.

Last edited:
The reality is it's not a seated sport. The law needs to catch up with reality mate.
The law states it's seated so in reality it IS a seated sport. Whether that is right or wrong isn't for me or you to say. The law is the law and people need to respect that until it changes.
Standing in an area that is designed for sitting is unsafe and unfair on those who wish to sit

It's not even seated outside the top two divisions either.
Unless you have an all seater stadium like we do

Like I've said previously on this thread I agree that standing should be allowed, but not until the law changes and standing areas are designated.

Last edited:
I'm talking about the 70s.

I just think it should be about more than "banter" with the opposition fans. It's not a culture I grew up with. The away fans then were an irrelevance - more often than not there weren't many of them anyway.

Agreed. This clamour to have away fans singing about Adam Johnson, mini busses and Netflix is embarrassing. We shouldn't (and dont ) need 300 rochdale fans to 'make an atmosphere' in our own ground. Its backwards, disadvantageous, and very symbolic of our fans and club always making things harder for ourselves than it already is. Baffles me

Agreed. This clamour to have away fans singing about Adam Johnson, mini busses and Netflix is embarrassing. We shouldn't (and dont ) need 300 rochdale fans to 'make an atmosphere' in our own ground. Its backwards, disadvantageous, and very symbolic of our fans and club always making things harder for ourselves than it already is. Baffles me

Agreed should leave it as is for the lower leagues, and put a pin in it for when we return to the Premer League.

Rochdale brought about 1000

Aside from the replacement of the seats, just wondering what other renovations people would have made to the stadium?

I’ve said elsewhere I think the concourses in the lower bowl are inadequate for a stadium of that size, but nothing can be done about that now. I’m talking about realistic improvements.

I took the little ones on a stadium tour on Friday and lots of parts of the stadium were a bit grimey and in need of a bloody good clean. I don’t expect a palace, but it just looks a bit unkempt to me.

And before anyone says it, clearly these things are insignificant compared to magterson the pitch, but I think we should have a bit more pride in our stadium that’s all.
move it to Gypsies Green. Footballs coming home.

How can you get 30,000 plus every week and not have a decent atmosphere . I have been to roker , and the stadium of light and it’s clear roker Park had a ‘ home end ‘ which fans identified with and created a great atmosphere . I read your fans comments and it seems the sol doesn’t have a defined home end ? Also let’s face it the Football has to get the fans out of their seats .

How can you get 30,000 plus every week and not have a decent atmosphere . I have been to roker , and the stadium of light and it’s clear roker Park had a ‘ home end ‘ which fans identified with and created a great atmosphere . I read your fans comments and it seems the sol doesn’t have a defined home end ? Also let’s face it the Football has to get the fans out of their seats .
The SW and South stand (Roker End) are the 'home end' /'singing section'...... uncofrtunately lots have moved there to be among it but not contribute. It's never lived up to Roker though truth be told.

Safe standing area.
More gold taps.
Replace existing Tandy speakers.
Change around Home/Away dugouts so our bench can 'chat' to linesman.
Turn the searchlights on for matchdays.

The SW and South stand (Roker End) are the 'home end' /'singing section'...... uncofrtunately lots have moved there to be among it but not contribute. It's never lived up to Roker though truth be told.
Seating doesn’t help does it ? I’m hoping safe standing will come back one day . I go to fratton with my lad , and what he thinks is a great atmosphere I think is bang average . Pompey has been poor for years in my opinion ( compared to the old days ) . Hard to see it improving without terraces imo

Back