South Stand officially named as...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Best of the choices but it doesn’t even face Roker? :lol:

Not fussed me. I’ll no doubt still call in the south stand out of habit.

For the millionth time..its got nowt to do with Geography.. the club said it weeks ago.

I don't mind commemorating RP. But as I said earlier if that was the case it should have been 'Roker Stand.'
'Roker End' instead commemorates one sole end of that ground. And end that used to house away fans too. Including 1000s of mags.
Wonder why that end and not one of the other 3

Good points. I never really thought about the "end" bit. Roker Stand sounds shit but maybe "Roker Park Stand" would have been better but doesnt trip off the tongue.

I think the reason for the South is that the North is contracted as Carling and the bigger stands would suit grander names I think.

Last edited:
For the millionth time..its got nowt to do with Geography.. the club said it weeks ago.

Good points. I never really thought about the "end" bit. Roker Stand sounds shit but maybe "Roker Park Stand" would have been better but doesnt trip off the tongue.

I think the reason for the South is that the North is contracted as Carling and the bigger stands would suit grander names I think.
Good points.
About the other 3, I actually didn't mean the SoL but the other 3 in RP - as in why was Roker end an option, but for example Fulwell End, main stand and clock stand weren't considered?

Good points.
About the other 3, I actually didn't mean the SoL but the other 3 in RP - as in why was Roker end an option, but for example Fulwell End, main stand and clock stand weren't considered?

Again.. It was homage to the name "Roker" really which is fair enough.

Because it was Roker Park not fulwell park.
But it's commemorating the Roker end as is

I know what you're saying But if you look on social media (not a great gauge I know!) There's a vast number of people think the south stand is being renamed after the Roker END.
Hence why imo it should have been 'stand'

Again.. It was homage to the name "Roker" really which is fair enough.
I get that.
I don't think a lot do like

Good points.

Roker and Fulwell ends were known as the North and South Terrace for a fair few years of their existence.

I know what you're saying But if you look on social media (not a great gauge I know!) There's a vast number of people think the south stand is being renamed after the Roker END.

I get that.

Seems like 90% do

I get that.
I agree Roker stand would have been better, but it doesn't warrant some of the moaning I've seen. I don't hear the name and think of an old terrace or the geographical location of the stand to an area of the city. It just makes me think of Roker Park. I do agree with stand being better than end though.

Or the unfortunate view ower the back wall of blokes pissing in the open toilets. :lol:

It was a shithole, but I loved it dearly. Miles better than any modern, soulless bowl. I can still remember going to evening matches, the butterflies in my gut as the floodlights came into view. The smell of pies, pipe baccy...
This could turn into 'Eeh! Ah remember when all this were green fields!'
Spot on mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back