South Northumberland

Status
Not open for further replies.
The have 11 directors registered at Companies House.A boat load of sponsors too. Loads of money on top of the cash they got for selling part of the ground for housing. That looks like a business to me of which cricket,and the Cricket Centre, are the main components.

Looks like your right mate, never in a million years did I imagine when I was playing the game.

That a cricket team playing in a local league would have 11 directors!!!!

this will be Durhams new ground when the city franchises kick off.

Hope so. Great atmosphere, plenty corporate room, close to the action, great high street round the corner and right on the metro line. Makes sense commercially which is where we need to be looking at the minute.

Hope so. Great atmosphere, plenty corporate room, close to the action, great high street round the corner and right on the metro line. Makes sense commercially which is where we need to be looking at the minute.

As much as I've championed SN as a venue to hold games over the prejudices of others, I couldn't stomach that (not that it would happen).

this will be Durhams new ground when the city franchises kick off.
Good for a one off festival game, but thankfully ground not big enough to support a first class county full time, or even for a season of one day cricket and they are blocked in so can't expand. Its a pity more clubs in the north east did not invest their financial windfall as well as South North over the years.

Reactions: Bri
Good for a one off festival game, but thankfully ground not big enough to support a first class county full time, or even for a season of one day cricket and they are blocked in so can't expand. Its a pity more clubs in the north east did not invest their financial windfall as well as South North over the years.
Are there any clubs with a ability to hold first class games now. I mean in terms of a ground big enough and the ability to put stands in if required, clubhouse with sufficient rooms/dressing room space etc.

I know the likes of Darlo/Hartlepool/Gateshead Fell did but now are they still good enough to host anything if it came about?

Why don't they just be done with it and change the name to Newcastle CC.
Northern Rock sponsors and Port of Tyne games north of the Tyne, is John Hall still lurking in the background somewhere?

Why don't they just be done with it and change the name to Newcastle CC.
Northern Rock sponsors and Port of Tyne games north of the Tyne, is John Hall still lurking in the background somewhere?

If the club had taken up John Hall's offer in the early days then the ground would've been in the Wynyard Area. Thankfully they turned down his offer to help.

Are there any clubs with a ability to hold first class games now. I mean in terms of a ground big enough and the ability to put stands in if required, clubhouse with sufficient rooms/dressing room space etc.

I know the likes of Darlo/Hartlepool/Gateshead Fell did but now are they still good enough to host anything if it came about?

We're not getting an answer on this one Pav!!!! Anyone know how Darlington / Stockton / Bishop are these days? SN holding matches would rule the Fell out anyway you'd have thought. Same applies to Chester le Street which would be a good venue but has no chance now. The University Ground in Durham is probably ruled out as well with the Riverside being so close. Do wish the ground could've been there originally. Would've been the perfect venue imo.

Haven't a problem one game being held over the water as Northumberland do play their part in the set up but I really would like to see the South of our county hosting games of some nature as was traditionally the case early first class and Minor County days.

. One or two are ok for a festival match, but whether people like it or not South North is the best ground to have one at, that indoor school is perfectly positioned at one end of the ground it means they don't have to bother with tents or marquees.

The bit I like is Marcus North now Chief Executive of South Northumberland CC

Chief Executive:lol:

They are a local cricket club,not a f***ing multi million pound company!

Anyone can give themselves a fancy job title. Just sign on to gov.uk, pay 13 quid to set up a shitty company that does absolutely nothing, and you too can call yourself a "CEO".

If the club had taken up John Hall's offer in the early days then the ground would've been in the Wynyard Area. Thankfully they turned down his offer to help.

We're not getting an answer on this one Pav!!!! Anyone know how Darlington / Stockton / Bishop are these days? SN holding matches would rule the Fell out anyway you'd have thought. Same applies to Chester le Street which would be a good venue but has no chance now. The University Ground in Durham is probably ruled out as well with the Riverside being so close. Do wish the ground could've been there originally. Would've been the perfect venue imo.

Haven't a problem one game being held over the water as Northumberland do play their part in the set up but I really would like to see the South of our county hosting games of some nature as was traditionally the case early first class and Minor County days.
In 2016 Stockton CC requested a game to celebrate their 200th Anniversary but were put off by the £10,000 upfront fee Durham demanded. They asked their local council for financial support but were turned down.
It looks like South North are the only local club that can afford that commitment and guarantee making money from the game, sadly.
Could also be a problem with club pitches. Again, South North have a full time groundsman and as much equipment/covers as Durham. Do not think any other club can compete.

In 2016 Stockton CC requested a game to celebrate their 200th Anniversary but were put off by the £10,000 upfront fee Durham demanded. They asked their local council for financial support but were turned down.
It looks like South North are the only local club that can afford that commitment and guarantee making money from the game, sadly.
Could also be a problem with club pitches. Again, South North have a full time groundsman and as much equipment/covers as Durham. Do not think any other club can compete.

Do you knoe this for a fact? I only ask because of a FB exchange i read the other day.

Randomer: South North pay DCCC to play a game at Gosforth. Did hear it was in the region of £10,000. Quite a common practice. Southport paid Lancs £20000 for three 4 day games over three years...

DCCC replied: Hi Kev, the club would like to point out we categorically do not receive payment of any kind from South North for them to host the fixture. Hope this clears things up

Do you knoe this for a fact? I only ask because of a FB exchange i read the other day.

Randomer: South North pay DCCC to play a game at Gosforth. Did hear it was in the region of £10,000. Quite a common practice. Southport paid Lancs £20000 for three 4 day games over three years...

DCCC replied: Hi Kev, the club would like to point out we categorically do not receive payment of any kind from South North for them to host the fixture. Hope this clears things up
Harker has previously been quoted in the press that games at South-North were about increasing the following for Durham and gaining income. Sounds a dubious strategy to me though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back