South Northumberland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you knoe this for a fact? I only ask because of a FB exchange i read the other day.

Randomer: South North pay DCCC to play a game at Gosforth. Did hear it was in the region of £10,000. Quite a common practice. Southport paid Lancs £20000 for three 4 day games over three years...

DCCC replied: Hi Kev, the club would like to point out we categorically do not receive payment of any kind from South North for them to host the fixture. Hope this clears things up

Surely Durham receive some form of remuneration? They must get a cut of any gate money and possibly bar takings (less the host's costs)? Mind I'd be disappointed if they do charge a fee up front given the trouble bidding for Test Matches has landed the club in.

In 2016 Stockton CC requested a game to celebrate their 200th Anniversary but were put off by the £10,000 upfront fee Durham demanded. They asked their local council for financial support but were turned down.
It looks like South North are the only local club that can afford that commitment and guarantee making money from the game, sadly.
Could also be a problem with club pitches. Again, South North have a full time groundsman and as much equipment/covers as Durham. Do not think any other club can compete.

Money gans to money unfortunately which is sad. A shame Stockton weren't successful if this was the case mind.

On another note, does Harker have any affiliation with South North in any way?

Surely Durham receive some form of remuneration? They must get a cut of any gate money and possibly bar takings (less the host's costs)? Mind I'd be disappointed if they do charge a fee up front given the trouble bidding for Test Matches has landed the club in.
You would have thought that Durham would not want to lose money even if they didn't gain all that much - presumably that's where the £10k from Stockton came from.

The plot thickens. Thanks

"The Gosforth-based club are able to recoup the outlay through hospitality in their spacious cricket centre."

which implies that South-North also have a pay a staging fee too. And perhaps by extension they're the only club in the North-East able to do so - which is a shame.

Money gans to money unfortunately which is sad. A shame Stockton weren't successful if this was the case mind.

On another note, does Harker have any affiliation with South North in any way?
Not aware of any affiliation between Harker and South North but one of their "directors" is Tom Seymour, Durham's marketing manager.

Also, if you haven't already read the thread on the Gin Festival, the company call Durham CCC...... Gosforth County Cricket Club !!!

Has South North more corporate facilities than the Riverside? Tell them to go and watch Northumberland if they want to watch a higher level of cricket,otherwise,drive 30 mins or jump on the metro then an 8 minute train ride to Chester le Street.All that money didn't help them to win the league last season did it.Fuck SNCC.

Has South North more corporate facilities than the Riverside? Tell them to go and watch Northumberland if they want to watch a higher level of cricket,otherwise,drive 30 mins or jump on the metro then an 8 minute train ride to Chester le Street.All that money didn't help them to win the league last season did it.Fuck SNCC.
You aren't bitter are you lol

If the club had taken up John Hall's offer in the early days then the ground would've been in the Wynyard Area. Thankfully they turned down his offer to help.

We're not getting an answer on this one Pav!!!! Anyone know how Darlington / Stockton / Bishop are these days? SN holding matches would rule the Fell out anyway you'd have thought. Same applies to Chester le Street which would be a good venue but has no chance now. The University Ground in Durham is probably ruled out as well with the Riverside being so close. Do wish the ground could've been there originally. Would've been the perfect venue imo.

Haven't a problem one game being held over the water as Northumberland do play their part in the set up but I really would like to see the South of our county hosting games of some nature as was traditionally the case early first class and Minor County days.

We couldnt host a durham game, nowhere near enough room for spectators. Although we've been doing work, new changing rooms, etc it wouldnt be an option

Just the National Club Championship...

Brilliant that Durham can say they are playing at not only (one of) the best club grounds in the country, but also the best club.

Reactions: Bri
Just made the numbers up in the league though.Best club in the country?

As much as I bet they wish they had won the league as well last year, I'm sure they'll accept 'making up the numbers' last year when they look at their 10 Nepl titles in the clubhouse to go with their 3 national club titles and t20 title. All from the last 10-15 years..

But then I'm sure your extensive knowledge of national club cricket will be able to provide a counter offer as to which other clubs nationally have been that successful in the same time period...

I'm going to ask a stupid question as I haven't played them for about 20 years

Have they moved ground?

No, still at the same ground but sold a load of land at the far side for housing. Would've went for a king's ransom given the location. Very wealthy club who can afford to spend a fortune on players and coaching and I'd imagine memberships will be at a premium, again, given the location.

Just had a look at their website and their Cricket Centre gives them a huge opportunity to increase their income through coaching and 6-a-side leagues. They also do weddings and corporate events.

https://webcollect.org.uk/southnorth/subscription

http://www.southnorth.co.uk/newcastle-cricket-centre/

They must be turning some cash over, especially when you consider their sponsors include Brewin Dolphin and Port of Tyne.

They're for all intents and purposes a full time business operation so no surprise they have appointed Directors as pretentious as it may sound for a local cricket club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back