South Northumberland

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a completely different thing

Football is tribal (too tribal imo), cricket is a sensible sport usually

Yeah football is far to tribal,fans hating each other for actually supporting their local team!

I could not hate someone from say Wallsend supporting Newcastle as that is what I would expect him to do support his local club!

Well I mean more that they can be so bitter about Sunderland as a place, including the football team, yet they can be so complementary about Durham. Sad really.
Said Mags usually distance themselves from the actual place Durham / Houghton / Seaham / Ferryhill etc and call themselves geordies and tell others they are from Newcastle. From experience.

For those Durham "supporters" who think South Northumberland (Gosforth) is a bridge too far, how about Penrith ?
In the Cricketer magazine, April edition, Chairman Botham has suggested playing a game in Cumbria, specifically naming Penrith CC.

For those Durham "supporters" who think South Northumberland (Gosforth) is a bridge too far, how about Penrith ?
In the Cricketer magazine, April edition, Chairman Botham has suggested playing a game in Cumbria, specifically naming Penrith CC.

Great idea. Spreading the game in the hinterland.

Wouldn't imagine Penrith will cause so much fury anyway as it isn't in Newcastle. That said, somebody will be along shortly to slag Cumbrians off for wanting to watch 1st class cricket when they could be watching minor counties:rolleyes:

Some posters will be starting a debate whether it is the original Cumberland or Westmoreland !
Also, what football team do they support ?

Football and cricket are as different as chalk and cheese. Go to watch DCCC wherever it is and we're all supporters of a wonderful North East sporting success story. Cricket has brought such a good feel good factor to our region in the last 10 years. The local press should forget their obsession with under-achieving football clubs and concentrate on the positives.

It is a massive shame how little coverage DCCC gets on telly, radio and written press. You'd never know the club existed 98% of the time on Look North for instance.

I genuinely believe that a lot of the ill feeling towards the club following the Council bail out was caused due to that lack of coverage. Most people bad mouthing the club and council didn't know a single thing about the club or what they do.

Not sure it would be a success, would Penrith CC be capable of hosting county cricket? Like always in these debates - why aren't grounds within the county of Durham being looked at first?

I'm all for 'growing the brand' but I'd like the club to make more effort in winning over the people of Durham first.

Last edited:
It is a massive shame how little coverage DCCC gets on telly, radio and written press. You'd never know the club existed 98% of the time on Look North for instance.

I genuinely believe that a lot of the ill feeling towards the club following the Council bail out was caused due to that lack of coverage. Most people bad mouthing the club and council didn't know a single thing about the club or what they do.

Not sure it would be a success, would Penrith CC be capable of hosting county cricket? Like always in these debates - why aren't grounds within the county of Durham being looked at first?

I'm all for 'growing the brand' but I'd like the club to make more effort in winning over the people of Durham first.
Good question about whether Penrith can support a 1st class match, not worth going if it can't.

There was some chatter on twitter a few days ago about Festival Cricket . ie Scarbados, Southport, Arundel etc. I think that everyone would be in favour of it. Done right it must surely be a moneyspinner as well as 'ghelping to spread cricket' - but the location needs to be good/appealing and there ground needs to have sufficient space to accommodate marquees, food vendors etc. and I think the isn't a ground within Durham County that can do that.

Good question about whether Penrith can support a 1st class match, not worth going if it can't.

There was some chatter on twitter a few days ago about Festival Cricket . ie Scarbados, Southport, Arundel etc. I think that everyone would be in favour of it. Done right it must surely be a moneyspinner as well as 'ghelping to spread cricket' - but the location needs to be good/appealing and there ground needs to have sufficient space to accommodate marquees, food vendors etc. and I think the isn't a ground within Durham County that can do that.
Costa del Seaton Carew !

Durham seconds regularly played at Seaton Carew until 3-4 years ago. Big flat field. Good wicket. Plenty of space around the ground.
Only problem ?
That bloody cold wind off the North Sea !

Durham seconds regularly played at Seaton Carew until 3-4 years ago. Big flat field. Good wicket. Plenty of space around the ground.
Only problem ?
That bloody cold wind off the North Sea !
I can certainly vouch for that. Dickie Bird took the players off because of it.

In terms of space on a ground, you would look at the likes of Gateshead Fell, Swalwell (maybe) to accomodate additional stuff. Not sure on the south of the county.
But the problem is that access is the problem, not easy to get to

Hampshire used to play a week in Dorset (Bournemouth) before they moved to the Rose Bowl. The Bournemouth ground was better than the county one at Northlands Road.

Bournemouth was originally in Hampshire prior to 1974. Hants played their last 1st class and list A game there in 1992 , 9 years before the Rose Bowl opened.

Given that the Riverside rarely gets more than 2000 for a T20, maybe it's an idea to play more of this form of cricket at outgrounds. If they can host 2000+ DCCC should think about it. There could be several grounds in Durham, Northumberland and Cumbria that could do this. If playing at Penrith, Carlisle, Ashington or wherever gets families hooked on the DCCC brand it could boost membership and get them over to the Riverside to watch the proper stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back