Social distancing......

Some inside footie places are now open as well.
Suppose it's a difficult one ....sport.Its like well being in respect of fitness / health overall versus the virus .I wouldn't like to make that shout.A degree of normality in people's lives may come into it too as well as income /jobs ..so can see why things are opening up.will be under constant review

Outside I bet though?
Aye.

Was just in Durham there, taking my daughter for her first swimming lesson since lockdown. Had to park in Prince Bishops and walk to the Marriott. The inability for people to just follow some basic instructions is quite staggering.

Street split in two with clear signs saying stick to the left. People just wandering all over. Beggars belief.

I saw more people just idly standing about cluttering the car park stairwell up than on the street too.

0.06% of the country - sad for the people affected but looking at the bigger picture it's a miniscule figure really (and a significant chunk of those deaths occurred in care homes). Fact is, if you're not old, in a care home, don't have underlying health conditions etc - your chances of becoming seriously ill with this virus are significantly lower than even that 0.06% figure. The government could have "achieved" a similar death rate to 45k by just telling the old and vulnerable to lock down instead of everybody. Instead they bottled it and crashed the economy for nothing. There's been something not right about the reaction to this from the start.

Fuck off man šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Aye.

Was just in Durham there, taking my daughter for her first swimming lesson since lockdown. Had to park in Prince Bishops and walk to the Marriott. The inability for people to just follow some basic instructions is quite staggering.

Street split in two with clear signs saying stick to the left. People just wandering all over. Beggars belief.

I saw more people just idly standing about cluttering the car park stairwell up than on the street too.
We've seen some incredible examples of this recently: Trump in US, non-Tory voters voting Tory here, Brexit and now this.
We should never underestimate the stupidity of the masses.

The only thing worse than an armchair epidemiologist is one who also parrots conspiracist shite. You are one of the biggest know-nowts going.
He's right about the stats like. Deaths under 50 or whatever aribtrary figure they used are ridiculously small. Probably less than flu. That said I speak with the ebwfot of hindsight. Given your average govwrnemt minister is less qualified than your or I then you can see why they bought into the numbers.

Make no mistake. The treatment here is worse than the ilnnes. Growth is lucky to be down 20%. That will be reflected in job losses.

He's right about the stats like. Deaths under 50 or whatever aribtrary figure they used are ridiculously small. Probably less than flu. That said I speak with the ebwfot of hindsight. Given your average govwrnemt minister is less qualified than your or I then you can see why they bought into the numbers.

Make no mistake. The treatment here is worse than the ilnnes. Growth is lucky to be down 20%. That will be reflected in job losses.
ebwfot? Is that Welsh?

Makes you wonder why the panic button was pressed worldwide. I don't know the answer, does anyone?
it was pressed because masses of people were dying. Northern Italy seems so long ago and wohan even longer.

Of course government didnt know what to do. They had to seek the help of medical experts.

Then media and politicians decided they knew what was best and opposed / criticised the guidelines from the experts.

they took things to an nth degree and criticised. sheep followed.

because of the regulations needed, it would be impossible to cover every minute aspect. media said this was confusing.

it is so very easy to criticise and thats what the media wanted to do.

that had a result of allegedly confusing people

when you are continually telling people they are confused, eventually they will believe you.

common sense went out of the window

I know I and a good few others have not watched a news programme for months nor am I likely ever again.

at a time when the UK needed everybody to stick together, the media and politicians couldnt do it.

They wanted their fame.

He isnā€™t right about the stats though. Heā€™s using the wrong denominator, which grossly deflates the figures.

Cases / Population is an inappropriate measure when trying to quantify the risk because by most measures, the vast majority of people have never had it.

Last edited:
0.06% of the country - sad for the people affected but looking at the bigger picture it's a miniscule figure really (and a significant chunk of those deaths occurred in care homes). Fact is, if you're not old, in a care home, don't have underlying health conditions etc - your chances of becoming seriously ill with this virus are significantly lower than even that 0.06% figure. The government could have "achieved" a similar death rate to 45k by just telling the old and vulnerable to lock down instead of everybody. Instead they bottled it and crashed the economy for nothing. There's been something not right about the reaction to this from the start.

As a percentage of the population it is a very small figure but devastating for the individuals concerned. At what figure would you say the numbers are not miniscule but actually alarming ? If say the figure reached 300k that would be the same as wiping a city the size of Bradford out and with a second wave that figure could be possible. When all this started I would have gone with the New Zealand model of total lockdown and while it would have been painful (while it lasted) we would now be at the other side and could have had the economy restarted. Instead we have this model of trying to stop the virus while trying to keep the economy going. So yes there was something not right about this reaction from the start in so much as it was neither the Swedish model or the New Zealand one but a sort of hybrid approach. So you can only have so many guests at your wedding but don't worry just get married and then book out all the tables at your local restaurant and get a tenner off for everyone. At the start of all this it was you can only go out for exercise etc but I know people who were going out walking all day and saying that was their exercise. So yes lock the old and the vulnerable but we can't then just let everyone else do as they please because there is a danger we could reach a tipping point and we can't get it back. Aberdeen is a good example of this, it wasn't the old and the vulnerable that caused lockdown there.

I haven't watched any news on TV since the last general election. I can't bear to see Dominic Cummings' assistant buffooning clownfest.
I've never felt so ashamed and embarrassed of the population for voting for these charlatans.
you do realise that people have a right to vote the way they want. They do not have to vote as to how you instruct them to vote. You are another one, who is screaming they are a victim.

what do you think off in the voting system in North Korea. You want that over here
He isnā€™t right about the stats though. Heā€™s using the wrong denominator, which grossly deflates the figures.

Cases / Population is an inappropriate measure when trying to quantify the risk because by most measures, the vast majority of people have never had it.

we dont know that. It may be a good assumption but an assumption never the less.

my daughter had a test to say that she had it, but her daughter, her husband and her parents are not allowed a test as we show no symptons.

I was violently ill in February, my wife caught the same thing of me (we presume) a week later and my daughter shortly after that.

Now we dont know if that is when she caught the disease
As a percentage of the population it is a very small figure but devastating for the individuals concerned. At what figure would you say the numbers are not miniscule but actually alarming ? If say the figure reached 300k that would be the same as wiping a city the size of Bradford out and with a second wave that figure could be possible. When all this started I would have gone with the New Zealand model of total lockdown and while it would have been painful (while it lasted) we would now be at the other side and could have had the economy restarted. Instead we have this model of trying to stop the virus while trying to keep the economy going. So yes there was something not right about this reaction from the start in so much as it was neither the Swedish model or the New Zealand one but a sort of hybrid approach. So you can only have so many guests at your wedding but don't worry just get married and then book out all the tables at your local restaurant and get a tenner off for everyone. At the start of all this it was you can only go out for exercise etc but I know people who were going out walking all day and saying that was their exercise. So yes lock the old and the vulnerable but we can't then just let everyone else do as they please because there is a danger we could reach a tipping point and we can't get it back. Aberdeen is a good example of this, it wasn't the old and the vulnerable that caused lockdown there.
it is such an emotive subject and we still dont know what the answers are. New Zealand has only 6 million inhabitants. That is much easier for a government to try and persuade people to lock down. NZ has a different type of housing to the uK. They dont have so many flats and a lot more people live in areas with gardens. so people can live at home more comfortably.

we never had a total lockdown and this I believe was deliberate so as to give wriggle room to individuals. The government never ordered the police to go out and fine people (they had the powers, but it was much more a persuasion exercise) unlike France and Spain. Did people want a more authoritarian approach.

the really difficult thing to do, is to get right timing. too early and people will ignore before the end. to late, well the damage is done.

there is an article in a paper today, that swedish were praising their method. Now again, lots to think about with that and what was the writers angle on it.

we do seem to ignore the deaths now, from China (what is the real figure) northern italy and the US.

it is reported now that china has some sort of plague. Is that true or just scaremongering

we are also ignoring the protests we had during this. what did that do to the figures if anything

Last edited:

Ok if he isn't right, I am.

you do realise that people have a right to vote the way they want. They do not have to vote as to how you instruct them to vote. You are another one, who is screaming they are a victim.

what do you think off in the voting system in North Korea. You want that over here

I do realise that people have a right to vote whichever way they want, of course. That is how it should be and people should use their vote. So many people who would have voted Remain were complacent whereas the Leave campaign was more passionate so more of them voted. Another reason why it was shambolic. The majority of the country did not want to leave The EU. However Cameron was complacent and did not set a threshold. It's agonising to think the country has done something that will cause incredible harm to the vast majority of its population through ignorance and complaceny.

In the general election my issue isn't that people voted one way or the other, that is entirely up to them and that's as it should be. It's the wealthy media moguls having so much influence. I've seen the types of people who buy and read The Daily Mail for example. They have told me proudly that the newspaper is their single vista onto the world and it is apparent that they believe the shit that is written in that paper. I've seen the pile of Daily Mail newspapers in the shops... twice as high as the other piles. The media moguls have so much inlfuence and power in persuading people, making them angry and making them frightened. It also happens on social media. Posts on Twitter and Facebook. Whipping the pitchforkers into a frenzy. Then to cap it off the prime minister dumbs it all down and all he can say throughout the campaign is "Get Brexit Done", bottle the important interviews and then he hid in a fridge. Job done. The masses voted them in, hoodwinked into thinking Brexit is somehow a good thing for anybody, let alone them.

And now, surprise surprise, we'll be crashing out of The EU with no deal whatsoever. Not just Brexit but the worst possible Brexit. The only people it will benefit are the super wealthy who don't wish to be held account by the (excellent) EU ruling to pay the fair amount of corporation tax from their company accounts to their home country and who have invested in upcoming countries. And we wonder why the likes of JRM were so passionate about getting the masses to fix it for them.

Even when the penny drops, over the next few years, the papers will be providing alternative targets to take the wrath of the masses. It's started already with the poor people risking their lives in dinghies in The Channel. How desperate does somebody have to be to do that? Why are people so frightened about allowing a few tens of people into the country when we're about to invite 3 million in from Hong Kong?

I have not been in shops throughout the whole time since lockdown.
Until last week that is. I walked up to the Londis near where Iā€™m working at the minute to get milk for teas & coffees for me and my colleague.
I took a face covering it was going to be my first time wearing one.
I was totally gobsmacked as I walked into the shop and saw the 6 shoppers in there already not wearing any face coverings, barely observing SD and one lad squeezed past me as I was getting milk out of the fridge.
They were all different ages and genders by the way.
We are fkd if this 2nd wave kicks in properly

Aye.

Aye, had to nip into the town (Sunderland) today for the first time, would say about 50% of people were sensible and the other 50% unbelievably thick *****.

Debenhams entrance/exit is split in half - enter on the left, exit on the other side with a barrier in between to separate. 'Enter' / 'no entry' signs up and on the floor, couldn't be any clearer. Family of knackers stop, look at the signs then walk through the wrong way. Had seen them earlier as well when I was in the queue to pay, they obviously knew the woman behind me so stopped to talk to her blocking the whole aisle off, they didn't have masks on, the woman did but took hers off to talk to them and they all stood huddled practically on top of each other.

The Bridges is supposed to be one way - walking up past JD Sports where there isn't much room anyway because of the cafe bit in the middle I had two different groups squeeze past at the same time on either side going the wrong way. Loads of people of all ages either not wearing masks at all or wearing them round their chins not covering their nose or mouth (including the security guards). People just wandering all over and no social distancing. We've been shielding so have had shopping delivered and the few times I've been in supermarkets since have been fine, but got a bit of a shock at the inability of people to follow basic instructions.

I do realise that people have a right to vote whichever way they want, of course. That is how it should be and people should use their vote. So many people who would have voted Remain were complacent whereas the Leave campaign was more passionate so more of them voted. Another reason why it was shambolic. The majority of the country did not want to leave The EU. However Cameron was complacent and did not set a threshold. It's agonising to think the country has done something that will cause incredible harm to the vast majority of its population through ignorance and complaceny.

In the general election my issue isn't that people voted one way or the other, that is entirely up to them and that's as it should be. It's the wealthy media moguls having so much influence. I've seen the types of people who buy and read The Daily Mail for example. They have told me proudly that the newspaper is their single vista onto the world and it is apparent that they believe the shit that is written in that paper. I've seen the pile of Daily Mail newspapers in the shops... twice as high as the other piles. The media moguls have so much inlfuence and power in persuading people, making them angry and making them frightened. It also happens on social media. Posts on Twitter and Facebook. Whipping the pitchforkers into a frenzy. Then to cap it off the prime minister dumbs it all down and all he can say throughout the campaign is "Get Brexit Done", bottle the important interviews and then he hid in a fridge. Job done. The masses voted them in, hoodwinked into thinking Brexit is somehow a good thing for anybody, let alone them.

And now, surprise surprise, we'll be crashing out of The EU with no deal whatsoever. Not just Brexit but the worst possible Brexit. The only people it will benefit are the super wealthy who don't wish to be held account by the (excellent) EU ruling to pay the fair amount of corporation tax from their company accounts to their home country and who have invested in upcoming countries. And we wonder why the likes of JRM were so passionate about getting the masses to fix it for them.

Even when the penny drops, over the next few years, the papers will be providing alternative targets to take the wrath of the masses. It's started already with the poor people risking their lives in dinghies in The Channel. How desperate does somebody have to be to do that? Why are people so frightened about allowing a few tens of people into the country when we're about to invite 3 million in from Hong Kong?
try thinking it was Corbyn who refused to be active in the campaign. the media were against leaving and even John Humphries stated the BBC refused to accept leaving the EU was a viable option. The EU were meant to be our partners but all they wanted was our money. We asked them for help in controlling immigration but they just laughed at us, patted us on the head like naughty schoolboy. Just like now, France is demanding Ā£30 million to stop the immigrants leaving France.
AS for the media they wanted a quick headline and would phrase questions to get that headline and to be honest they were a disgrace for either side of the divide. They didnt report the facts in a balanced way. Just the same as the referendum debate. It was a farce non of the sides reported facts and in a way they couldnt. It was all suppositions. The people aginst leaving also used terms which were insulting, because somebody thought leaving was a good idea, they were called names. Just like you have done. You are refusing to accept leaving is a good idea and therefore using insulting terms such as pitchforkers. we know what you mean by that. what gives you the right to insult somebody. The reason we may MAY leave without a deal is because of EU unwillingness to deal. What gives them the right to demand to come into accepted british waters to fish. That should be for those given permission to fish. Can you leave you front door open please, so that people passing can just walk into your house and help themselves

try thinking it was Corbyn who refused to be active in the campaign. the media were against leaving and even John Humphries stated the BBC refused to accept leaving the EU was a viable option. The EU were meant to be our partners but all they wanted was our money. We asked them for help in controlling immigration but they just laughed at us, patted us on the head like naughty schoolboy. Just like now, France is demanding Ā£30 million to stop the immigrants leaving France.
AS for the media they wanted a quick headline and would phrase questions to get that headline and to be honest they were a disgrace for either side of the divide. They didnt report the facts in a balanced way. Just the same as the referendum debate. It was a farce non of the sides reported facts and in a way they couldnt. It was all suppositions. The people aginst leaving also used terms which were insulting, because somebody thought leaving was a good idea, they were called names. Just like you have done. You are refusing to accept leaving is a good idea and therefore using insulting terms such as pitchforkers. we know what you mean by that. what gives you the right to insult somebody. The reason we may MAY leave without a deal is because of EU unwillingness to deal. What gives them the right to demand to come into accepted british waters to fish. That should be for those given permission to fish. Can you leave you front door open please, so that people passing can just walk into your house and help themselves
The EU representatives have reported time and time again that Johnson and team have not even been in touch. Even if I am wrong Iā€™m suspecting Johnson has been instructed by above (i.e. Cummings, who himself is taking instructions from the wealthy Tory donors - The Establishment... those that really make policy decisions) not to negotiate a deal then he will be too lazy and shambolic to manage one.

Pitchforkers is exactly the right term to use. The Leave campaign was genius in its simplicity and effectiveness. Take a look at the demographics. All of the people I respect wanted to remain. That includes almost all economists, academics, leaders of industry and professional, educated people. It isnā€™t meant to be patronising, and Iā€™m sure it will be difficult reading for some, but itā€™s just how it is. On the other side complete bell ends like Farage and Rees Mogg who have their own personal get-rich agendas.

In the build-up and aftermath speaking to Leavers and listening to why they voted was horrifying. All about ā€œtaking back controlā€ (from whom?) and freeing themselves from draconian EU laws (although they couldnā€™t name any that affect them.)

Anyway, the damage is done now. We have to accept it and make the most of it. People still have the right to remain sad and/or angry that it happened. The turkeys have voted for Christmas.

The EU representatives have reported time and time again that Johnson and team have not even been in touch. Even if I am wrong Iā€™m suspecting Johnson has been instructed by above (i.e. Cummings, who himself is taking instructions from the wealthy Tory donors - The Establishment... those that really make policy decisions) not to negotiate a deal then he will be too lazy and shambolic to manage one.

Pitchforkers is exactly the right term to use. The Leave campaign was genius in its simplicity and effectiveness. Take a look at the demographics. All of the people I respect wanted to remain. That includes almost all economists, academics, leaders of industry and professional, educated people. It isnā€™t meant to be patronising, and Iā€™m sure it will be difficult reading for some, but itā€™s just how it is. On the other side complete bell ends like Farage and Rees Mogg who have their own personal get-rich agendas.

In the build-up and aftermath speaking to Leavers and listening to why they voted was horrifying. All about ā€œtaking back controlā€ (from whom?) and freeing themselves from draconian EU laws (although they couldnā€™t name any that affect them.)

Anyway, the damage is done now. We have to accept it and make the most of it. People still have the right to remain sad and/or angry that it happened. The turkeys have voted for Christmas.

Is there any thread you can't divert down a brexit tangent?

Like there's not enough f***ing brexit threads on here you could have posted your whinge on?

Social distancing seems to have diminished since the face covering rules were brought in - which I believe was predicted by the behavioural psychologists?

Back