SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

I could potentially do the queue on the middle Saturday but not sure I’d enjoy the tennis after being in there from 3 am

Yeah, that's the thing putting me off. Would you get a hotel and be there for like 2 hours but if you didn't, you'd have all your stuff with you. Plus, I'm not sure I can convince my (very casual tennis fan) friends to head down to London to queue and not sure if I'd be bothered to go down by myself to do that. If I had Centre Court or No. 1 tickets they'd be all over it, ha. You'd probably be struggling to keep your eyes open and it just wouldn't be as enjoyable experience.

Might just see if I get lucky in the redraws or just keep applying and go to some lesser grass tournaments over the summer.

It's a shame how it's so popular.

Yeah, that's the thing putting me off. Would you get a hotel and be there for like 2 hours but if you didn't, you'd have all your stuff with you. Plus, I'm not sure I can convince my (very casual tennis fan) friends to head down to London to queue and not sure if I'd be bothered to go down by myself to do that. If I had Centre Court or No. 1 tickets they'd be all over it, ha. You'd probably be struggling to keep your eyes open and it just wouldn't be as enjoyable experience.

Might just see if I get lucky in the redraws or just keep applying and go to some lesser grass tournaments over the summer.

It's a shame how it's so popular.
I’m moving to London so luckily that problem wouldn’t be there!

R1: Sharapova
R2: Radwanska
R3: Vickery
R4: Sakkari
QF: Pliskova
Halep in the semis tomorrow

Impressive from Osaka, only one set dropped and won all her sets by at least one break. Been hovering out the top 40-50 for ages, always seems to win one or two matches at every tournament but never any further. Hopefully this is her proper break out tournament. That horrible choke against Keys in the US Open seems a long time ago now.

R1 Bye
R2 Siniakova 62 52 (retired)
R3 Stephens 64 63
R4 Woz 64 75
QF Kerber 60 62

Not bad from fellow 20 year old Kasatkina either. That's on the back of reaching the Dubai final in her last tournament, putting out Radwanska, Konta (nowt special now), Vesnina and Muguruza along the way there.

The youngsters are definitely making their mark now.

A couple of decent men's IW quarter finals there with Raonic and Del Petro both winning in 3 sets to set up a semi final with each other tomorrow. Federer vs Coric in the other semi. Delpo is on another cracking run after winning Acapulco the other week and with him ending 2017 so strong, his recent WL record will be impressive. I know some don't like Raonic, particularly his style, but it's good to see these established names doing well with most of the big 4 players out injured. Probably another Federer vs Del Potro final I think.

Women's semi finals on BT Sport from 2am - Venus vs Kasatkina followed by Halep vs Osaka - 2 very intriguing matches there which I'll record and watch first thing.

Men's semi finals on Sky Sports Arena tomorrow from 6pm and both finals are on Sunday with the women's at 6pm and the men's following on from 8pm.

Kasatkina v Venus was great the other day, one of the best of the year so far. Venus just collapsed a bit at the end, two points away from winning and then made 9 errors from there to lose it. What she's doing at 37 after all she's gone through is pretty incredible. Would love to see her win at Wimbledon or the US Open this year.

Both finals could/should be good today.

Kasatkina v Venus was great the other day, one of the best of the year so far. Venus just collapsed a bit at the end, two points away from winning and then made 9 errors from there to lose it. What she's doing at 37 after all she's gone through is pretty incredible. Would love to see her win at Wimbledon or the US Open this year.

Both finals could/should be good today.

Really looking forward to both and they obviously won't clash being on the same court but different channels. Yeah, Venus was 5-4 30-0 in the final set after Kasatkina missed that easy shot at the net and then had that wild first serve, she to be fair, did so well to regain composure from there. I was kind of hoping she would win this event, although I don't really want her to win another slam. I think the duration of Kasatkina-Venus compared to Osaka-Halep may prove the deciding factor later.

I'm hoping Delpo can make it back to back titles as well and he does have a decent chance. Great that the matches are scheduled for 6pm and 8pm UK time, could have easily been on at like 10 or 11pm.

Really looking forward to both and they obviously won't clash being on the same court but different channels. Yeah, Venus was 5-4 30-0 in the final set after Kasatkina missed that easy shot at the net and then had that wild first serve, she to be fair, did so well to regain composure from there. I was kind of hoping she would win this event, although I don't really want her to win another slam. I think the duration of Kasatkina-Venus compared to Osaka-Halep may prove the deciding factor later.

I'm hoping Delpo can make it back to back titles as well and he does have a decent chance. Great that the matches are scheduled for 6pm and 8pm UK time, could have easily been on at like 10 or 11pm.

Think I probably agree with what the odds are in terms of how I think it'll go, just slightly favour Kasatkina to edge it. Already won a big tournament and the surface suits her game. Really hard to call though.

Hope del Potro wins but half expecting Federer to cruise it because it'd just be bloody typical.

Gerrin, love to be proved wrong for a second match in a row. How awkward was that speech :lol: her interviews are always absolute gold.

Last edited:
Great win for Osaka, provisionally at number 22 in the world now. 14 of the current top 30 are aged 25 and younger which is great for the future. Roll on Miami now where the main draw (WTA) will be out in an hour. Be interesting to see how Osaka and Kasatkina back this tournament up.

Just catching up on the Federer -Delpo match now.

Great win for Osaka, provisionally at number 22 in the world now. 14 of the current top 30 are aged 25 and younger which is great for the future. Roll on Miami now where the main draw (WTA) will be out in an hour. Be interesting to see how Osaka and Kasatkina back this tournament up.

Just catching up on the Federer -Delpo match now.
Is it on bt

Ah man, his favourite shot on match point and he nets it. Bad miss that one.

In other news, Serena v Naomi Osaka in Miami round one :lol:

Just caught up now. Fantastic stuff. Never felt like Delpo was losing that (well until he got broken at 4-4 in the decided :lol:). Really pleased that one of the big 6 events has been won by someone outside of Fedal - seems far too long. Love Federer and what he brings to the sport, but he was fuming throughout - particularly at 6-6 in the second tie beak and when broken back in the decider. What a match.

Delpo on a hell of a run now since Shanghai last October. Great to see after all of his injuries.

Is it on bt

Sorry mate, no good to you now but I was avoiding the thread in case of spoilers. BT don't show any men's tennis at all. They show pretty much all the women's events bar the slams and the English grass events like Nottingham, B'ham and Eastbourne. Sky show all the men's 1000s (like this) and 500's apart from Queens, well for this year anyway before Amazon Prime take over.

Last edited:
Just caught up now. Fantastic stuff. Never felt like Delpo was losing that (well until he got broken at 4-4 in the decided :lol:). Really pleased that one of the big 6 events has been won by someone outside of Fedal - seems far too long. Love Federer and what he brings to the sport, but he was fuming throughout - particularly at 6-6 in the second tie beak and when broken back in the decider. What a match.

Delpo on a hell of a run now since Shanghai last October. Great to see after all of his injuries.

Sorry mate, no good to you now but I was avoiding the thread in case of spoilers. BT don't show any men's tennis at all. They show pretty much all the women's events bar the slams and the English grass events like Nottingham, B'ham and Eastbourne. Sky show all the men's 1000s (like this) and 500's apart from Queens, well for this year anyway before Amazon Prime take over.
That's what I mean I prefer women's tennis but don't have bt it's shit with the champions league the ashes loads of stuff been moved to that.

That's what I mean I prefer women's tennis but don't have bt it's shit with the champions league the ashes loads of stuff been moved to that.

Yeah, women's tour is on BT until the end of 2019 and there will be a big fight to retain / claim the rights with all this feminist movement of late and Sky with all their Sportswomen stuff. There are plenty of decent streams kicking about and obviously the betting streams as well.

Miami starts on Tuesday (for the women, Weds for the men) and this week, before the clocks go forward, we are just 4 hours ahead of Miami, so play will usually start from 3pm UK time. Really interesting now with Serena and Azarenka back and with the emergence of all these youngsters, it's as exciting as I can remember especially with Serena not currently a big favourite for the titles.

Ah man, his favourite shot on match point and he nets it. Bad miss that one.

In other news, Serena v Naomi Osaka in Miami round one :lol:

Interesting draw overall, but that's by far the standout match. Winner of that plays Svitolina as well who was the main guest at the draw ceremony as I'm sue she will have been thrilled :lol:. I think that match will be during the day on Weds, rather than the night session.

I see Katie Boulter has randomly got a wildcard for the qualifiers.

Last edited:

Back