SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

Counting down the days to that :cool:
Unfortunately Rafa isn't the same player he was on clay anymore, his backhand looks all over the place but even ignoring that, Djokovic is just going to send him left, right and all over the court wearing down that dodgy foot. I actually think Rafa has more chance of winning Wimbledon or the US than he does of winning the French open now, his body just isn't up to slogging gruelling long matches on clay anymore against someone as good as Djokovic. Its testament to how good he is that he would still beat everyone else on clay barring Djokovic.

Last edited:
Unfortunately Rafa isn't the same player he was on clay anymore, his backhand looks all over the place but even ignoring that, Djokovic is just going to send him left, right and all over the court wearing down that dodgy foot. I actually think Rafa has more chance of winning Wimbledon or the US than he does of winning the French open now, his body just isn't up to slogging gruelling long matches on clay anymore against someone as good as Djokovic. Its testament to how good he is that he would still beat everyone else on clay barring Djokovic.
If Rafa breaks down he wont be fit for Wimbledon imo

Watching Iga Swiatek hit a forehand loaded with top spin and knocking female players off their feet about thirty yards back whilst trying to control the ball back in play and stop the racket vibrating and bouncing out their hand is one of my new favourite things to watch.

Got no idea who's meant to be able to beat her, it doesn't seem fair.

Irina-Camelia Begu throws her racket into the crowd in anger but doesn't get disqualified. I don't like Djokovic but I'd be asking why there's double standards.

Is Felix gonna turn up today and push Rafa for a decent match or is he gonna rack up 60/70 unforced errors and be off the court in an hour and 40 minutes?

Zverev really hasn’t developed like many thought.

Such a weird player, it's like he really wants to be Andy Murray. From standing thirty yards behind the baseline and pushing the ball back through to looking like he's cruising in Slam matches before very quickly ending up at the start of the fifth set in the blink of an eye.

When he stands on top of the baseline and hammers the ball he looks almost unbeatable regardless of who he's playing and on what surface he's playing, just doesn't happen anywhere near enough.

Said it earlier on this thread but this version of Nadal has absolutely no chance of beating Djokovic.
Bit harsh, thought Felix was excellent and Rafa was like a 6/7 out of 10.
Rafa can (and will need to) raise his level against Djokovic, thought his movement was pretty good for such a long match but his serve was struggling throughout and i wonder if hes had a back issue because he wont get away serving like that against Djokovic.

Interestingly Nadal's press conference was rather downbeat, saying he doesnt know if every match could be his last in Paris. Seems like (if you read between the lines) he might be thinking of this as his last year if the foot is troubling him that match.
Such a weird player, it's like he really wants to be Andy Murray. From standing thirty yards behind the baseline and pushing the ball back through to looking like he's cruising in Slam matches before very quickly ending up at the start of the fifth set in the blink of an eye.

When he stands on top of the baseline and hammers the ball he looks almost unbeatable regardless of who he's playing and on what surface he's playing, just doesn't happen anywhere near enough.
He has an amazing serve and Backhand, his forehand is average and not really a weapon unless hes coming in on his serve.
He needs to work on improving it and adding more serve and volley to his game.

His biggest issue is that he needs to abandon slow second serves where he usually double faults through tensing up. His serve is good enough to get him through doing 2 1st serves like Krygios or Medvedev.

Last edited:
Holger playing now. 🙂

Do you know what the correct pronunciation of his surname is? I think I've heard more variations of it from commentators than actual letters in his surname!

Swedish person on twitter who's probably more likely better placed to know than me or British/American commentators seems to suggest you wouldn't pronounce the R?

Do you know what the correct pronunciation of his surname is? I think I've heard more variations of it from commentators than actual letters in his surname!

Swedish person on twitter who's probably more likely better placed to know than me or British/American commentators seems to suggest you wouldn't pronounce the R?

No, you pronounce the R.

The closest to the real name I have heard a (non-Danish) tennis person on the telly pronounce his name was in today's match. Both the match umpire and the lass interviewing him after the match had the right R sound. The lass though said Runé more than actually Rune but she had the R sound pretty spot on.

Last edited:
Play like that he can beat anyone
Us Open 2014 vibes....coincidence, the last time he beat Simon in a slam was that US Open run.

Shame Nadal v Djokovic is at night, conditions were massively different in the Medvedev match and think it heavily favours Djokovic.

Think the day conditions favour Alcaraz against Zverev.
Quarter final Tuesday predictions
Djokovic and Alcaraz both in 4

Last edited:
Us Open 2014 vibes....coincidence, the last time he beat Simon in a slam was that US Open run.

Shame Nadal v Djokovic is at night, conditions were massively different in the Medvedev match and think it heavily favours Djokovic.

Think the day conditions favour Alcaraz against Zverev.
Quarter final Tuesday predictions
Djokovic and Alcaraz both in 4
He's 20-1 odds

Back