SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

He hasn't dropped a set this week and is coming off the back of an easy straight sets win without even facing a break point against one of the best players in the world right now, Stan's played two five setters and was pretty rubbish against Dzumhur. He's been ill in the last week as well. He's never beat Zverev either.

Prices aren't dictated on what happened in tournaments from other years. I think Stan will win but Zverev's the justified favourite.

He beat Rublev fair enough but as good as Rublev has been this year he’s hardly top class yet, Wawrinka achieved more in beating Medvedev. Either way I think the market is totally wrong and expect Wawrinka to win.

It could be embarrassing for Federer against Djokovic with the way they have both been playing this tournament.
Madness how the bookies have Wawrinka at 6/5 and Zverev at 4/6, if ever a market has been priced up based on hype then that is it, what has Zverev ever done in a slam to warrant such a short price?
Zverev has played great tennis all week, no service yips, should be a great match.
Likewise on federer, a competitive 3 set lose like Raonic today is probably the most that Federer fans (me included if you couldn't have guessed ;)) can hope for
What an effort from thiem, should have finished it off sooner but nerves got the better of him.
Thiem or zverev gets to be runner up in Australia for the 1st time :lol:
been a great tournament up to now, just missing a 1st time winner to finish it off

Last edited:
Pleased for Thiem, he plays no nonsense tennis, just gets on with it and goes for it. I actually think Djokovic would rather be playing Nadal in the final than Thiem/Zverev as he has Nadal's game totally sussed on a hard court.

He beat Rublev fair enough but as good as Rublev has been this year he’s hardly top class yet, Wawrinka achieved more in beating Medvedev. Either way I think the market is totally wrong and expect Wawrinka to win.

There's very little between Rublev and Medvedev at the minute IMO, I'd be surprised if they aren't both top ten players at the end of this year. Rublev beat Federer, Wawrinka, Tsitsipas, Kyrgios, Cilic, Dimitrov and Bautista Agut in the last quarter of the 2019 season and Auger-Aliassime and Goffin so far this year. Really isn't far off being the real deal.

I don't think anyone could have predicted Kenin vs Muguruza as the final at the start of the tournament (TBH not sure many would have predicted it as the final at the start of the semi-finals). Good return to form for Muguruza after a poor couple of years and a major break through for Kenin.

I don't think anyone could have predicted Kenin vs Muguruza as the final at the start of the tournament (TBH not sure many would have predicted it as the final at the start of the semi-finals). Good return to form for Muguruza after a poor couple of years and a major break through for Kenin.

Yeah really good to see Muguruza back, she finally split with her coach about two years later than she should have done. The one Slam she won with him he wasn't even there for and her current coach took over for them two weeks at Wimbledon. Hopefully it's a sustained return to the top. She could be 3/4 through the career Grand Slam with a win on Saturday, pretty impressive for her age when it feels like she disappeared for quite a while!

There's very little between Rublev and Medvedev at the minute IMO, I'd be surprised if they aren't both top ten players at the end of this year. Rublev beat Federer, Wawrinka, Tsitsipas, Kyrgios, Cilic, Dimitrov and Bautista Agut in the last quarter of the 2019 season and Auger-Aliassime and Goffin so far this year. Really isn't far off being the real deal.
Rublev still needs to make a breakthrough at a slam though and get close to winning one before he can become the real deal, been hearing for years about all these younger players but slam wise apart from Medvedev and Thiem they still have came nowhere near really. Still think the slams this year will be shared between Djokovic and Nadal like last year. Eventually the age of the big three will stop them winning slams but still could be a while off.

Last edited:
Good effort from federer today given everything.
Djokovic is just in too good form and will probably take Federers most weeks at number 1 record by the end of the year

Rublev still needs to make a breakthrough at a slam though and get close to winning one before he can become the real deal, been hearing for years about all these younger players but slam wise apart from Medvedev and Thiem they still have came nowhere near really. Still think the slams this year will be shared between Djokovic and Nadal like last year. Eventually the age of the big three will stop them winning slams but still could be a while off.

If you beat Wawrinka and Federer in back to back matches in the space of 24 hours in straight sets, you shouldn't need to see him make a Grand Slam final to see how good he is.

Him reaching a Slam semi or Slam final this year won't really change my opinion too much of how good he is. Slams aren't the be all and end all.

Last edited:
Djokovic just took the fourth the set, into a final fifth set. Think it's fair to say it's pretty much completely in the balance.

We got a new British Grand Slam champ a few hours ago as well, well done to Joe Salisbury.

Gutted for thiem, put everything into that and looked good when Djokovic had another of his passive phases.
Not surprising that djokovic took another toilet break/medical break each time he lost a set, does it far too often for it not to be gamesmanship.
Thiem needs to build on this and back himself for the french as he knows he can beat the best in grand slams now

I was there earlier in the week. Excellent win for Emma Raducanu just now against fellow 17 year old and former Jr #1 Clara Tauson to make tomorrow's final. Could have been an all British final, still might be, but Murray has a lot of work to do against the #1 seed.

18 year old Jack Draper has made the men's final, so British interest in both finals, and our best prospects by far on both sides.

Last edited:
Might as well give it a massive bump.

I genuinely can't believe they all agreed to go that daft tournament :lol: idiots the lot of them. Dimitrov, Coric and Troicki (and Troicki's wife) all got the virus unsurprisingly. Djokovic announcing whether he has it or tomorrow not :lol: berks the lot of them.

Looking forward to this Battle of the Brits tournament starting tomorrow like, something to actually watch. Hopefully the extended break turns out to be a good thing for Murray's career.

Next week would have been Wimbledon.

Surely could have gone ahead for fans to watch. Not the same obviously but would have been great to see still.

A lad I play tennis with had to return his men's final tickets. Gutted.

They could definitely have played Wimbledon without fans, in the same way they are playing football without fans, think when it was cancelled though they probably didn't think it was going to be possible and had to make a decision at the time.

Djokovic getting pelters for staging that daft tournament, he just always seems to do/ say something that draws him criticism. They all went out partying and clubbing afterwards also, how stupid can you be.

Last edited:
They could definitely have played Wimbledon without fans, in the same way they are playing football without fans
one article i read on it said they thought the amount of people onsite just to support the running of the event was too high to risk, even before the fans came through the door (and that football comparisons where like chalk & cheese comparisons apparently).

Back