SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

What you betting on
I think it's time for '24' Chops, so I've put £10 on Serena @ 4/1. She was 9/2 before the draw, but her initial draw is pretty kind, so shouldn't really have any trouble for the first 3 or 4 rounds, could have been so much worse.

I've got a £5 free bet, so currently looking at putting an acca on.

As far as the Brits are concerned, on the men's side, Norrie is probably 50:50 against Herbert, may well play Goffin in R2. If Edmund wins in round 1, he has a chance of a run. Evans should reach round 3 and lose to Djokovic.

Women: Konta has a tricky draw. She should beat Jabeur, if she's fully fit but both Brengle and Garcia are good and that probably leads to a match with the retiring (but not shy) Wozniacki in round 3. Watson has the lesser Pliskova (probably 40:60) then Mertens, Dart has a chance of a win against Doi but won't live with Halep and Boulter is likely to go out against Svitolina (probably the best current player yet to reach a Slam final).

Evans through but made hard work of it coming from 2-0 down.

Play delayed for hours now because of rain but I doubt there’s anyone will begrudge the delay. Hopefully it continues to rain for a while yet.

Sloane Stephens has all the talent in the world but her lack of bottle/desire is shocking. Serving for the match and you win two of the next eleven games...

Not much interest this year then!

Not too many stories so far to be fair. Good to see Tommy Paul finally starting to maybe realise his potential and good to see Wozniacki having one last run at a Slam. Woz - Serena next round if they win tonight, would probably be a fitting send off for her.

Probably put a jinx on him here bigging him up and he'll lose to Goffin (although no great disgrace if he does to be fair), but I reckon Rublev will be in the top ten at some point this year.

Tsitispas grand slam record is poor mind, living off that match against Federer last year in Australia. Only young but he still has a lot to do if he is going to win a grand slam. Despite all the hype about all the younger players, Medvedev for me is still the only one capable of challenging the big three.

Last edited:
Oh man that's incredibly tough, Millman was near perfect in that tie break until 8-4. The three points he played at 5-4, 6-4 and 7-4 were incredible.

So so rough, great fight from Fed.

Federer will need to improve massively and Djokovic will have to implode for fed to make the final if that semi final happens
I think Medvedev will beat Nadal in the semis, look how close he was at the US open.
Rafa and Djokovic are serving great, maybe better than at any time in their careers

Not in work tomorrow so my morning is going to be spent with Rublev v Zverev on one screen and Nadal v Kyrgios on another :D Rublev - Zverev better be a five setter or I'm gonna be disappointed.

Federer will need to improve massively and Djokovic will have to implode for fed to make the final if that semi final happens

Rafa and Djokovic are serving great, maybe better than at any time in their careers

Djokovic's serve for the last year or so has been mad, only seems to be getting better. Wonder if it's got anything to do with Goran being on his coaching team these days?

Last edited:
Whats the point in living in wimbledon if you don't even get tickets for the tournament.

Luckily my mum did and we have tickets for court number 1 on the first friday in the tournament which should be decent

Whats the point in living in wimbledon if you don't even get tickets for the tournament.

Luckily my mum did and we have tickets for court number 1 on the first friday in the tournament which should be decent
Happy for you, no luck for me, guess its overnight queue for me.

In other news, The Goat saving 7 match points, injured and still getting the victory in 5.
Hope he wins the semi obviously, but at this point I'd settle for him not getting thrashed by djokovic.

It could be embarrassing for Federer against Djokovic with the way they have both been playing this tournament.
Madness how the bookies have Wawrinka at 6/5 and Zverev at 4/6, if ever a market has been priced up based on hype then that is it, what has Zverev ever done in a slam to warrant such a short price?

Last edited:
It could be embarrassing for Federer against Djokovic with the way they have both been playing this tournament.
Madness how the bookies have Wawrinka at 6/5 and Zverev at 4/6, if ever a market has been priced up based on hype then that is it, what has Zverev ever done in a slam to warrant such a short price?

He hasn't dropped a set this week and is coming off the back of an easy straight sets win without even facing a break point against one of the best players in the world right now, Stan's played two five setters and was pretty rubbish against Dzumhur. He's been ill in the last week as well. He's never beat Zverev either.

Prices aren't dictated on what happened in tournaments from other years. I think Stan will win but Zverev's the justified favourite.

Back