SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

Gasquet first round as well, not that I'm expecting him to but that's winnable. I guess he has to wait and see how he feels but skipping the Open might not be the worst idea or even just playing doubles again.

Serena looking good right now against Osaka. Can't imagine she'll bother with Cincy next week now but this is probably the best prep she's had for a Slam since she came back.

Serena looking good right now against Osaka. Can't imagine she'll bother with Cincy next week now but this is probably the best prep she's had for a Slam since she came back.

Yeah, it was surprisingly straightforward, but when she's serving like that, there's not too much you can do, she was moving better as well. I think she'll withdraw from Cincy as well, along with a few others, but if she plays, they could meet in the QF again there. Very likely a Wimbledon F rematch with Halep in the semi, unless qualifier Bouzkova can continue her dream run and make it a hat trick of victories over Grand Slam winner. I'm recording that so will catch up with it in the morning.

Quite an interesting other semi between Kenin and Andreescu. Andreescu's return has been very welcome, she just doens't know when she's beat and is now 6-0 against top 10 players. IF she can stay fit, she's destined to become a top 10 player pretty soon IMO. She's played 40 matches in 2019 (even with her injuries) and has won 36. Crazy.
Gasquet first round as well, not that I'm expecting him to but that's winnable. I guess he has to wait and see how he feels but skipping the Open might not be the worst idea or even just playing doubles again.

I was pleased he came back in some capacity with his doubles, but after the Queens run, the novelty soon wore off for me, and I'm just not really interested in doubles, not even if teaming up with his brother, so it would be great if he could make even a reasonable singles comeback, like eventually peaking at top 30 or something. Actually, the Serena stuff was pretty interesting.

Yeah, best to take it one match at a time and see how he feels after Gaquet, BO5 is a lot different to BO3, so perhaps skipping and playing in Asia would be more sensible, and then look to the Aussie Open for his slam return depending on how he gets on.

Last edited:
Tomic just got broken first game of the match against Rublev in qualies at Cincinnati, played two more games and retired :lol: what's the point man?

Absolute nutter.

What a start by Bouzkova :eek:, 4-1 double break up against Serena. Mind, she was 4-0 up on Halep yesterday before Halep got it back to 4-4, then lost the set 6-4 and promptly retired. Winner plays home favourite Andreescu in the final.
Make that 6-1.

Last edited:
What a start by Bouzkova :eek:, 4-1 double break up against Serena. Mind, she was 4-0 up on Halep yesterday before Halep got it back to 4-4, then lost the set 6-4 and promptly retired. Winner plays home favourite Andreescu in the final.
Make that 6-1.

Who dya reckon today? I quite fancy Andreescu to win. If Serena plays like she did against Osaka then obviously it doesn't matter, but them days seem to be getting less and less frequent.

Who dya reckon today? I quite fancy Andreescu to win. If Serena plays like she did against Osaka then obviously it doesn't matter, but them days seem to be getting less and less frequent.

Just saw this now. WTA can't really catch a break - great final is prospect, legend against one of the hottest new breakout players, playing at home in front of an absolutely packed crowd, then it's over in about 20 mins. Feel for Serena, obviously not as big as Wimbledon x 2 or the US Open, but it's another fairly big final where it's just not happened, hope she is fine for the US Open. She'll certainly surely pull out of Cincy, both probably will.

Thought Serena would have won, but if anyone was to retire, I thought it would be Bianca. Obviously not the way she wanted, but that's a 2nd huge WTA title for her this year, and this one will mean more than IW I'd have thought, being at home.

Hopefully Nadal Medvedev is good later.

Just saw this now. WTA can't really catch a break - great final is prospect, legend against one of the hottest new breakout players, playing at home in front of an absolutely packed crowd, then it's over in about 20 mins. Feel for Serena, obviously not as big as Wimbledon x 2 or the US Open, but it's another fairly big final where it's just not happened, hope she is fine for the US Open. She'll certainly surely pull out of Cincy, both probably will.

Thought Serena would have won, but if anyone was to retire, I thought it would be Bianca. Obviously not the way she wanted, but that's a 2nd huge WTA title for her this year, and this one will mean more than IW I'd have thought, being at home.

Hopefully Nadal Medvedev is good later.
Buzzing finally sorted amazon prime so can see a lot more tennis now

What times he due on
3rd on from 4pm, so will depend on how long those previous 2 matches go, but probably around 8pm.
So Murray lost to Gasquet yesterday and confirmed that (somewhat because the USTA are imminently announcing their wildcards soon and we wanted more time to think about it) he won't be playing singles at the US Open, but hopes to play mixed and men's doubles, as well as possibly playing at Winston Salem 250 next week. Seems sensible, no need to rush, see how things go and aim to be ready for the Aussie Open in Jan.

Obviously seeing how his hip fared up was the main priority and anything else from that match would have been a bonus, but by Monday, the only Brit left in either Cincy draw was Edmund, and that's largely because he hasn't played yet, ha.

Andreescu withdrew, but for now Serena and Halep look like they might play - although I wouldn't be surprised to see Serena withdraw before her match in the UK early hours tonight. Nadal also withdrew, as expected, despite receiving 2 byes in Montreal, to leave a rather lop sided draw with Djokovic and Federer both in the top half, but I guess he got all the hard court prep he required, so understandable.

Play starts today at 4pm on BT Sport and Amazon Prime, although the weather doesn't look great, so there could be a few delays.

Last edited:
Did anyone see Djokovic vs Medvedev last night? Unreal, Medvedev was complaining about a bicep injury, had a medical time out, was a set down, and halfway through the second set ended up just going for broke, including second serve's, and ended up winning to make the final tonigt. He plays Goffin later following Keys vs a resurgent Kuznetsova which starts at 7pm UK.

The US Open qualifying draws should be out some time after 9pm UK tonight, and the qualifying matches start tomorrow along with Winston Salem ATP 250 (which includes Andy Murray) and WTA The Bronx.

Did anyone see Djokovic vs Medvedev last night? Unreal, Medvedev was complaining about a bicep injury, had a medical time out, was a set down, and halfway through the second set ended up just going for broke, including second serve's, and ended up winning to make the final tonigt. He plays Goffin later following Keys vs a resurgent Kuznetsova which starts at 7pm UK.

The US Open qualifying draws should be out some time after 9pm UK tonight, and the qualifying matches start tomorrow along with Winston Salem ATP 250 (which includes Andy Murray) and WTA The Bronx.
Is the qualifying on amazon marra

Who should i be betting on this year

I'll have to wait for the draw as usual mate. If you end up with the likes of unseeded Kuznetsova, Yastremska etc. in your first two rounds then I'll likely look elsewhere with it being so wide open and no obvious outstanding candidate. However, I think it will take a very good player to beat Andreescu - she's just so hard to beat, she's only lost 4 matches this year and one of those was a retirement which subsequently kept her out for a couple of months. She ranges from 14-18/1, but the mad thing is she's only won 2 main draw slam matches in her career, only played 3 main draw events, and has never been in the US Open main draw, yet she's the 5th or 6th fave. She'd probably be my pick at this stage.

US Open qual draws were out earlier.

Men: 2019 US Open – Men's Singles Qualifying - Wikipedia
Women: 2019 US Open – Women's Singles Qualifying - Wikipedia

2 British men, 4 British women. It looks like Amazon will be streaming quals @chopsfc007 which start tomorrow, but not all of the courts.

Keys won women's Cincy, Medvedev won the men's - he's had a super 3 weeks, picking up 1900 points in his 3 US events (pretty much the same amount as winning a slam) and is up to a career high #5. Oh and Heather WWatson won a big IFT in Vancouver and her biggest title since 2016.

US Open qual draws were out earlier.

Men: 2019 US Open – Men's Singles Qualifying - Wikipedia
Women: 2019 US Open – Women's Singles Qualifying - Wikipedia

2 British men, 4 British women. It looks like Amazon will be streaming quals @chopsfc007 which start tomorrow, but not all of the courts.

Keys won women's Cincy, Medvedev won the men's - he's had a super 3 weeks, picking up 1900 points in his 3 US events (pretty much the same amount as winning a slam) and is up to a career high #5. Oh and Heather WWatson won a big IFT in Vancouver and her biggest title since 2016.
Hopefully it shows the brits

To the tennis experts out there......Should djokovic be heavy favourite to win the us open.....plus I made a lot of money on Madison keys last week....I know she has us open form but I wasn't overly impressed with her in the final of Cincinnati yesterday....she's great odds and I fancy her to win a grand slam soon.....can she win at flushing meadows

Back