SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

Well done to thiem last night beating Federer :cry:
Hope he kicks on and can make the slam breakthrough at the French to stop rafa or Novak winning it

Yeah, that's the ATPs streaming subscription service. Not sure what rights it has, but I know there's loads of the 250 events on there. It should really have it all.
Says 64 events a year I downloaded it and at first it said I have to register but now it doesn't can't go wrong for free but I don't know if I have to do anything else.

Well done to thiem last night beating Federer :cry:
Hope he kicks on and can make the slam breakthrough at the French to stop rafa or Novak winning it

Yeah, it is a big moment for him winning such a big tournament away from clay - hopefully it will give him the confidence and he can do well again on the dirt. There's been 19 ATP tournaments in 2019 and there's been a different winner every time - that won't happen often.

Just said free download on ps store

Well if it turns out to be free and no snags then you certainly can't grumble - it's meant to be either £9.99 a month or £89.99 for year. ATP Miami starts on Wednesday, so you'll get more of an idea then.

Last edited:
Yeah, quite an interesting last 16 line up in the men's and the youth are doing well this tournament. Shapavalov vs Tsitsipas should be good and Felix AA is continuing to progress. Edmund, Medvedev, Tiafoe, Kyrgios and Coric all 24 or under. I suppose Jordan Thompson is as well, but he never gets as much press, promotion or air time as the others mentioned.

Kyrgios continues to play the pantomime villain with his underarm serves :lol: and arguing with fans, but he is playing well and seems dialled in, so all good. Edmund-Isner is 4pm UK today.

Women's QF line up is complete.

Today:
6pm - Kontaveit vs Hsieh
11.30pm - Kvitova vs Barty

Tomorrow:
Halep vs Wang Q
Ka Pliskova vs Vondrousova

Serena withdrew earlier in the comp, giving Wang Qiang a walkover.

Auger-Aliassime is crazy good. Hasn't really exploded onto the scene with big wins like Kyrgios, Zverev or Shapovalov but wow he's good. Fair chance he's gonna be seeded for the French Open, considering he only made his top 100 debut a month ago it's fairly impressive.

I'd say there's a fair chance that he might be the next new #1 in the world. It's not gonna be anyone other than Djokovic, Nadal or Federer in the next few years. By then he's surely going to be competing for the major honours.

So Felix's run continues, beating Coric in straight sets. Isner up next. Djokovic lost to RBA the other day.

ATP semi final line up
Isner vs Auger-Aliassime
Federer/Anderson vs Shapovalov/Tiafoe - both those QF matches are today

WTA semi finals
Barty vs Kontaveit
Halep vs Ka Pliskova

Shapovalov came through a very good match with Tiafoe to set up a semi final with Federer. Would love an all Canadian teenage final, but will probably more likely be Isner vs Federer

Today:
5pm - FAA vs Isner
11pm - Shapovalov vs Federer

@JL1985's girl Barty vs Pliskova in the women's final on Saturday, both both semi finals were badly affected by the weather.

Shapovalov came through a very good match with Tiafoe to set up a semi final with Federer. Would love an all Canadian teenage final, but will probably more likely be Isner vs Federer

Today:
5pm - FAA vs Isner
11pm - Shapovalov vs Federer

@JL1985's girl Barty vs Pliskova in the women's final on Saturday, both both semi finals were badly affected by the weather.
Haha! She finds a way of winning. I don't like her style of play but it's effective.

I think Pliskova will win it.

Gutted Felix couldn't serve that set out. Yet another tie break success for Isner, think it said that was his 8th tie break win this tournament in 9 sets played.

That'll sting for Felix - had 5-3 first set, 5-2 second set so served for both sets, ended up broken both times and then lost both tie breakers.

Last edited:
Isner's beat Federer on clay and probably the slowest hard court on the tour. Miami's looking quite slow...

Federer still wins surely?

Back