SMB Tennis thread (note there is a specific Wimbledon 22 thread)

Isner's beat Federer on clay and probably the slowest hard court on the tour. Miami's looking quite slow...

Federer still wins surely?
Federer has played some of his best tennis in over a year these past 3 matches, Isner has won 9 sets out of 10 7-6,
This will all come down to if feds return game is on point, if thats the case like it was against Anderson it could be over quick.
Isner is defending champion and will feel confident if it reaches a tie break at any stage and can win it his serve can be protected with a high 1st serve percentage.
Hope fed makes it title 101

Good for Ash Barty. Got more variety on WTA tour than anyone else so good to see her finally win a big title outside of dubs. Slams to follow that one surely.

So Fed does make it 101 titles and a cracking Sunshine Double for him. Beat Isner comfortably in the final who was injured in the second set so was a bit of a damp squib, but another big title for Rog.

No ATP events this coming week, but there's a WTA Premier in Charlston on green clay which is kind of half way between hard and red clay, plus there's a WTA international in Monterrey, Mexico which features Katie Boulter, Heather Watson and Harriet Dart in the main draw. There are a few good players in the draw and unfortunately Boulter has drawn Azarenka and Watson has drawn the defending champ Muguruza. Dart has a more winnable match against Jaukupovic. Kerber is the top seed here.

There's also a men and women's 25k event in Bolton featuring a lot of Brits, including Liam Broady, Naomi Broady, Laura Robson and young Emma Raducanu who has a Special Exempt into the main draw after reaching a final in Israel this week.

Last edited:
There's some decent looking QFs in Charleston:

(1) Stephens vs (8) Keys
(11) Collins vs Puig
(9) Bencic vs (16) Martic
(5) Wozniacki vs (15) Sakkari

Kerber, Muguruza and Azarenka have all made the Monterrey QFs - Watson and Boulter withdrew before it started and Dart lost in the first round.

In Bolton W25, Emma Raducanu has beaten 2 top 200 seeds to make the semi final and she plays fellow Brit Jodie Burrage tomorrow who has also beaten 2 seeds, pretty emphatically as well - 6-0 6-1 and 6-1 6-0.

Managed to catch most of Azarenka v Kerber last night. Best I've seen Azarenka play in ages. First top 10/5 win in a good while I bet.

If she can get near 75% of her 2012 level she would absolutely demolish the rest of the field right now.

19 yo Jodie Burrage beat Raducanu in that Bolton semi final yesterday. She's currently contesting the final now against Diatchenko who is currently in the top 100 and beat Sharapova at Wimbledon last year. Early stages, but still on serve. Available here if anyone wants to watch:

Video - ITF Tennis - Pro Circuit - ITF Tennis - Pro Circuit

Managed to catch most of Azarenka v Kerber last night. Best I've seen Azarenka play in ages. First top 10/5 win in a good while I bet.

If she can get near 75% of her 2012 level she would absolutely demolish the rest of the field right now.

Yeah, saw that this morning, probably the best she's played consistently since coming back - Pavlychenkova and Kerber are pretty big wins at international level. Not often you'll get a lower than Premier / 500 level final between 2 multiple slam champs and former #1s, but that'll happen later when she plays Muguruza.

Wozniacki vs Keys at Charleston should be interesting between 2 players who's 2019 hadn't really got going before this week and it's good to see Woz having a bit of success despite her arthritis situation.

Last edited:
19 yo Jodie Burrage beat Raducanu in that Bolton semi final yesterday. She's currently contesting the final now against Diatchenko who is currently in the top 100 and beat Sharapova at Wimbledon last year. Early stages, but still on serve. Available here if anyone wants to watch:

Video - ITF Tennis - Pro Circuit - ITF Tennis - Pro Circuit

Yeah, saw that this morning, probably the best she's played consistently since coming back - Pavlychenkova and Kerber are pretty big wins at international level. Not often you'll get a lower than Premier / 500 level final between 2 multiple slam champs and former #1s, but that'll happen later when she plays Muguruza.

Wozniacki vs Keys at Charleston should be interesting between 2 players who's 2019 hadn't really got going before this week and it's good to see Woz having a bit of success despite her arthritis situation.

Played really well this week. Charleston seems to bring out the best in her for some reason. Though watching the matches the clay colour is a wee bit distracting. Final about to begin. Ha'way Caroline.

International Tennis at the Sunderland Tennis Centre 8-14th. GB players competing include Harriet Dart, Naomi Broady, Liam Broady and Lloyd Glasspool.

I don't know any of the players but good to see the City on the map. :)

Last edited:
Yeah, that Sunderland 25k event is similar to the one that's just taken place in Bolton this week (Jodie unsurprisingly lost her final). The likes of Laura Robson should also be involved, either in qualifying or via a wildcard to the main draw (shows how far she has fallen with all her injuries) as well as young Emma Raducanu who I've mentioned on here a few times.

There should be plenty of British interest in both the men and women's draws and the qualifying draw should be out within the next hour or so. I'm hoping to maybe get across for the semi finals next Saturday, if I can.

Played really well this week. Charleston seems to bring out the best in her for some reason. Though watching the matches the clay colour is a wee bit distracting. Final about to begin. Ha'way Caroline.

I don't know any of the players but good to see the City on the map. :)

Got it on record, will watch after the football has finished. I quite like green clay. Much prefer it to the European red stuff.

Last edited:
Yeah, that Sunderland 25k event is similar to the one that's just taken place in Bolton this week (Jodie unsurprisingly lost her final). The likes of Laura Robson should also be involved, either in qualifying or via a wildcard to the main draw (shows how far she has fallen with all her injuries) as well as young Emma Raducanu who I've mentioned on here a few times.

There should be plenty of British interest in both the men and women's draws and the qualifying draw should be out within the next hour or so. I'm hoping to maybe get across for the semi finals next Saturday, if I can.

Got it on record, will watch after the football has finished. I quite like green clay. Much prefer it to the European red stuff.
Should you not be at the football

Laura Robson is in Sunderland qualifying so could potentially have 2 matches tomorrow if anyone was planning on going.

Should you not be at the football

Could do both Chops lad :p

Shame she couldn't get the title, but still good to see her winning again Alexander. Plus, I suppose it's good to see Keys doing someone outside of her slam runs - she's also had her fitness related issues.

Quite looking forward to Muguruza vs Azarenka in the Monterrey later - a huge match for both!

Last edited:
Laura Robson has qualified for the main draw in Sunderland, winning both of her matches today. 10 British women in the main draw.

Oh and @alexander, I see Tauson has qualified for her first WTA main draw in Lugano, so that will be interesting - has a winnable first match as well.

For an ITF event there are some decent names playing in both the men's and women's draws. Anyone been along to watch yet?
Tempted to pop along myself.

The only player left in both sides of the draw I would be interested in seeing is Laura Robson. However, she’s got a tough match today against Harriet Dart (no1 seed for the event). So doubt she will progress to the weekend when I’m likely to be available to go.

So Tara Moore's dream week continues and she's made her first semi final in a long time, beating recent top 50 player Oceane Dodin today. She plays top seed Harriet Dart tomorrow, so there'll definitely be a British player in Sunday's final. She's also in the women's doubles final tomorrow. The #2 seed Robin Anderson (ranked 200) is in the other semi final and plays a qualifier.

So not too many bumps recently, but a lot has been going on - did anyone make it to Silksworth last week? Qualifier Paar from Romania took the title, beating Harriet Dart in 3.

Amanda Anisimova won her first WTA title in Bogota, while another 17 year old, Iga Swiatek, made her first WTA final, losing in 3 to Polona Hercog in Lugano, but she is now up to 88 in the rankings and has secured her place in the French Open main draw, and hopefully Wimbledon too.

On the men's side, ATP 250's were won by Paire and Garin in Marrakesh and Houston respectively, and it's all about Monte Carlo 1000 this week - Edmund had a collapse against Schwartzman yesterday, 6-4 3-0 up, only to lose 6-4 3-6 1-6, but Norrie did beat Mannarino in straight sets this morning.

No WTA events this week, but the Fed Cup returns at the weekend. Semi finals consisting of Australia vs Belarus and France vs Romania, as well as all the play-off ties including Great Britain vs Kazakhstan at the Copper Box (on BT Sport). Can't complain about the draw, but on current form, you'd probably make the opponents the slight favourites.

Back