SMB Tennis thread

Discussion in 'SMB' started by The Bridge Lad, Jul 17, 2017.

1. The Bridge Lad

The Bridge Lad Striker

Had this have been 1st Jan instead of 11th Feb then I'd have 100% had Khachanov in my list, probably 7th or 8th. It's obviously still very early days, but he has had 2 1st round exits from his 2 ATP tour events as well as not matching his seeding in Melbourne, seeded 10th but went out in straight sets in L32, and event at this stage, Stefanos' 720 points for reaching the semi finals could be significant to Khachanov's 180 if those 2 are battling for that 8th spot.

I agree with that regarding Thiem and he is clearly reliant on clay to pick up most of his points.

2. Session

Session Midfield

Osaka and her coach have seemingly parted ways. Strange?

3. The Bridge Lad

The Bridge Lad Striker

Kazakhstan at home. Pretty evenly matched, but winnable and crucially at home. Happy with that.

MarcoG and Arkle like this.
  4. The Bridge Lad

The Bridge Lad Striker

I forgot the Davis Cup draw was this week, since the next stage in not until mid-November, but it has just been made and is the following:

Group A: France, Serbia, Japan

Group B: Croatia, Spain, Russia

Group C: Argentina, Germany, Chile

Group D: Belgium, Australia, Colombia

Group E: Great Britain, Kazakhstan, Netherlands

Group F: USA, Italy, Canada

We obviously don't know which players will show up for this event, but on paper, that's a pretty decent draw for GB. Assuming a fair amount of good players turn up, Group B looks tasty and considering Spain are at home and Russia fielded a strong team in qualifying, you'd expect those teams to be pretty strong.

5. The Bridge Lad

The Bridge Lad Striker

Great to see Stan playing well and getting results again. He's just beaten Paire, Raonic, Shapovalov and Nishikori to reach the Rotterdam 500 final - plays Monfils tomorrow at 2.30pm.

Elise Mertens has done very little since the US Open Series last year, slipped out of the top 20 and was beaten by both Cornet and Garcia at home in the Fed Cup last week, but she has just beaten 3 top 10 players in Bertens, Kerber and today Halep to claim the Qatar Open, her biggest title to date.

6. The Bridge Lad

The Bridge Lad Striker

Good win for Cameron Norrie earlier in Rio (500) over the seeded Lajovic. Didn't see the match but 6-2 6-1 looks impressive, unless the Serb was injured or something. Dan Evans plays Tiafoe around 11pm tonight in Delray Beach 250 1st round - Evans came through qualifying.

Watson out of WTA Budapest at the first hurdle and Osaka lost her first match as #1 and without coach Bajin, losing to Mladenovic in the Dubai P5 event - She was in tears in her post match press conference.

I'm seeing posts on Twitter and pics that people are starting to get their Wimbledon tickets through the post. Someone had Men's Final tickets - I'd be happy with first Tuesday Court 2 :lol:. Think we have all this week for the first round (of approvals) and then it'll be next month for the next batch.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019 at 10:12 PM
    mogget likes this.
  7. The Bridge Lad

The Bridge Lad Striker

Sickener for Norrie is his Rio second round. Blew 4 set points to lose the first set tie breaker, broke at 3-5 in the second to eventually take it 7-5 and was then 3-1 up in the deciding set tie break but ended up losing 6-7 7-5 6-7.

Better news for Dan Evans though as he followed up him impressive win over Tiafoe with a 6-0 6-2 win over Lloyd Harris and now plays Seppi in the Delray Beach QF. He's provisionally ranked at 129 now - doubt it'll be too long before he's back in the top 100.

Oh and there's an Italian Challenger match between Jay Clarke and new Brit Jan Choinski tomorrow morning for a place in the QF.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019 at 11:46 PM
    JL1985 likes this.
  8. JL1985

JL1985 Winger

Watched a bit of the Norrie match. He was aggressive when trying to fight back and far too passive when in the lead. Needs to find the balance. Chuffed for Evans, he's a top 30 player but obviously an idiot at times.

The Bridge Lad likes this.
  9. The Bridge Lad

The Bridge Lad Striker

Yeah, I think you could argue that Evans is the better player of the our 3 current highest ranked and he'll be a very good addition when he's back properly on the main ATP tour. I enjoy watching him and hopefully he's in the top 100 before Wimbledon cut off.

I know what you mean with Norrie. There was a bit of a weird call in the final set tie breaker with the umpire who was giving Kyrgios that pep talk at the US Open. He called something out which wasn't, making Munar angry and then Norrie just couldn't seem to recover thereafter - an opportunity missed but he is at a career high and slowly going in the right direction. It's good that he is actively pursuing these South American clay events when there are hard court events in Europe and the States as it should put him in better stead when the main European clay season comes around.

Choinski beat Clarke in 3.

JL1985 likes this.